NFL Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree with the mentality that a team with a losing record should not be in the playoffs. The four division winners and two wild cards is a sound system. Just because one of those winners has a losing record doesn't mean the system is bad. That division still should be represented in the playoffs. Stuff happens once in a while.

Any given Sunday.

X2

Plus it makes things interesting. I mean what if, WHAT IF Seattle at 7-9 made a run? (doubtful) but that would be interesting and fun as hell to watch!

Jan 9th

Eagles Vs Packers --> Eagles win in a shootout

Jan 16th

Eagles Vs Bears --> Eagles win big time (by two touchdowns minimum)

Jan 23rd

Eagles Vs Saints --> Eagles win at home. Not sure of the score yet.

Superbowl --> Eagles lose :gah::lol
:lol Nice!

On another note, I'm glad the Hawks won last night, so the League can see how pathetic the whole win your division and automatically host a home game rule is.

Jan 9th

Eagles Vs Packers --> Eagles win in a shootout

Jan 16th

Eagles Vs Bears --> Eagles win big time (by two touchdowns minimum)

Jan 23rd

Eagles Vs Saints --> Eagles win at home. Not sure of the score yet.

Superbowl --> Eagles lose :gah::lol

The way you all have played the past couple weeks I'd be shocked if you beat the Packers.

The way you all have played the past couple weeks I'd be shocked if you beat the Packers.

I will give you the Vikes game. But I'll be damned if I say they played poorly yesterday. That is unless you count a roster of benchwarmers. :lol

So what you're saying is they have no depth. That doesn't bode well for a run. I hope you guys do win though because I want us to knock the Aints out instead of having to knock the fudgepackers out.

So what you're saying is they have no depth. That doesn't bode well for a run. I hope you guys do win though because I want us to knock the Aints out instead of having to knock the fudgepackers out.

No depth? You are talking out your ass just to hear yourself fart I do believe. Those second and third string players almost won.

And I still firmly believe that Atlanta will lose their first playoff game. :lecture

While it was my team that got hozed I'm still ok with the way it is now. Seattle won the division so they get a home game... simple as that. This is the first time its ever happened so no need to go crazy and change it now, if they just take the top 6 in each conference then why even have divisions.
Knowing the NFC South as I do, we could very well be in this same boat next year or the year after. So one of our teams may benefit from this rule.

I think the divisional thing is rough for some teams, because they get stuck with almost perennially good teams like the Pats, Steelers, or Colts, while everyone else in those divisions has to battle it out for the wildcard spots. And I think the system is a bit flawed when teams like the Bucs and Giants get hosed, though the divisional set-up allows you the benefit of having true rivalries develop from having teams play twice each year (which I guess is why it is in place?). But the system is what it is, and the divisional winners getting into the playoffs part of it probably isn't going to change. I wouldn't be against re-seeding teams based on record, though, which would seem a less controversial change. Does seem a bit strange that the Saints are playing in Seattle next week, for instance. But, again, that's the way it is right now. So if you want to get in playoffs and to get home field at some point, beat out those other 3 teams in your division.

Certainly, it seems that getting in the playoffs is a less frustrating task when you consider you only have to do better than 3 other teams to get in, rather than being one of the best 6 out of a bigger pot of 16.

I don't get the whole lets change based on one event that had NEVER happened before. I would bet that at some point just about every Division has has a team get in with a lower record then a wildcard team at some point so just remember what you want changed today may bite you in the butt next year.

I also am not sure that this will be an issue next year. The Rams are young and are on the way back up, no one expected them to be close to what they were before.

Lets not forget the lowly West has had 2 Superbowl teams in last 5 years

If you support divisions, you have to let division winners, no matter what their record, into the playoffs.

If you don't honor the division title, then you need to get rid of divisions so that schedules aren't tilted one way or another by them.

When there were only 6 divisions, it meant that a higher percentage of games were in your division and thus the division title held more weight in terms of "deserving" a playoff spot. 8/16 games being within the division was a lot better than 6/16, IMO.

If the schedule gets pushed to 18 games, they either need to go back to 6 divisions or get rid of divisions altogther because 6/18 intradivision would be ridiculous.

If the schedule gets pushed to 18 games
Now this, is a horrible idea that needs to be squashed. I love football as much as the next guy, but I don't need my team any more beat up and hobbled than they are going into the playoffs. Bad enough they have 4 freakin' pre-season games to waste folks' time and to get players injured.

If I was commissioner, I would go to a 4 division system with 17 game schedule.

8 teams per division. You play 14 divisional games and the 3 nondivisional games would be played against the teams of the similar standing from the other divisions from the prior year. There would be no AFC and no NFC. For the playoffs you seed the top 12 teams in one pool. The 4 division winners all get the bye week.

Oh yeah, I forgot, due to the 17 game schedule each team would play 8 home, 8 away, and 1 neutral site game (always interdivisional) either out of the country or in places like Wyoming, Nebraska, Hawaii, Oregon, Idaho, etc that don't have NFL football. You reserve the top interdivisional games for major cities like Londo, Tokyo, Berlin, etc. The games between the prior year last places teams you put out in the sticks of middle America to throw those typically college towns a bone.

Last edited:
Now this, is a horrible idea that needs to be squashed. I love football as much as the next guy, but I don't need my team any more beat up and hobbled than they are going into the playoffs. Bad enough they have 4 freakin' pre-season games to waste folks' time and to get players injured.
They would only have 2 preseason games, basically they are trading two pointless games for two real games. I am sure they thought the same thing when they went from 12 to 14 and 14 to 16.

Difference is, of course, important players will be playing in most if not all of the regular season games they were healthy enough to play in. Not much of a compromise, IMO. But I personally think 16 is already pushing it. Sure, folks would eventually get used to whatever they decide. But you're just gonna see more and more injuries piling up the greedier those NFL execs get.

Football ain't golf. Human bodies can only go so far when fast, powerful freaks of nature are slamming into each other week after week.

They would only have 2 preseason games, basically they are trading two pointless games for two real games. I am sure they thought the same thing when they went from 12 to 14 and 14 to 16.

But most starters don't play all 4 preseason games so they aren't trading 2 pointless for 2 real... they are adding 2 more real. If they had 18 games this year Tampa would have had an entire roster of rookies by the end. :)

What's scary is everyone always talks about Tampa being so young, but if I'm not mistaken The Pats are even younger on defense. Regardless the future is looking bright for both teams.

Difference is, of course, important players will be playing in most if not all of the regular season games they were healthy enough to play in. Not much of a compromise, IMO. But I personally think 16 is already pushing it. Sure, folks would eventually get used to whatever they decide. But you're just gonna see more and more injuries piling up the greedier those NFL execs get.

Football ain't golf. Human bodies can only go so far when fast, powerful freaks of nature are slamming into each other week after week.
Really, sorry I see going up two games would have been much worse back before then now. The majority of today's players would have never lasted in those days. They have much Berger ways to get players ready, much better protective equipment, more rules to protect players etc... They were much tougher and played for pennies compared to today's pampered players. They put their bodies through hell and sure a lot have payed dearly for it but I highly doubt 2 games made that much of a difference if any.

Back