Official NECA Terminator Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: NECA T-1000

Hey guys, for all of you that don't like the new steel mill version of the T-800 because he can't be posed with the right arm bended in the right angle, there's a solution, but i'm afraid you have to get your hands dirty...the fact is that it's not an articulation issue,but a sculpting one. If you cut a little piece of plastic from the upper arm (just in the articulation) you can make the arm reach any angle you want..however it won't look too good when the arm isn't bended, unless you re-sculpt it. If you don't mind keeping him in that position,it's a great solution
I was thinking of doing something like that, thanks mate, it's good to know it works. Any pics?

I think NECA is starting to move away from 18"ers and doing 12" figures instead. Costs on these figures have just kept going up, I don't its as profitable as it once was to make 18" figures. Plus 12" is my prefered scale so there is cross-over options with SS/HT figures. Like a liquid metal T-1000 :pray:

Well Neca is made even more 18 "figures such as Jason from the remake.
What is better sells I think nobody knows, not even himself Neca ^ ^
Furthermore, I've discussed many times.
Ultimately, it is only a matter of opinions.
I think in 18 "Sculpts come much better than before.
Some characters like the Predator will see in 18" from just bigger and better.
The problem with Terminator, is not fit the 12 "figures to 18" Endo.

Hey guys, for all of you that don't like the new steel mill version of the T-800 because he can't be posed with the right arm bended in the right angle, there's a solution, but i'm afraid you have to get your hands dirty...the fact is that it's not an articulation issue,but a sculpting one. If you cut a little piece of plastic from the upper arm (just in the articulation) you can make the arm reach any angle you want..however it won't look too good when the arm isn't bended, unless you re-sculpt it. If you don't mind keeping him in that position,it's a great solution

Yeah I figured that was the problem too, nothing to do with the type of articulation, only the physical obstacle to its range of movement.

Still, I'm perfectly happy with the McFarlane figure for recreating that cool pose.

By the way, I don't think he posted it in here but member Johnny Utah said in the Hot Toys T-800 thread I think that Neca man Randy Falk hinted at more Terminator figures on the Neca twitter page or something. I'm not on twitter so I don't have access.

He said the sales of Series 3 will lead to other Terminator plans they have. Of course, I asked him to elaborate, and he said while there would be nothing to show at SDCC, there might be an announcement. T1 baby!!!

Oh,i asked him yesterday via twitter if fourth series will depend on the success of the third one, and he answered me that it may depend on some other project related with Terminator....i can only think about T1 or Terminator Salvation, probably T1. I hope they make a Kyle Reese figure!

The best representations of Arnie as T2 T-800 at high-end and low-end. 2009 and 2010 shall be years long remembered for the terminator fanatic.

uploadIMG_19462.jpg

uploadIMG_19463.jpg

uploadIMG_19466.jpg

uploadIMG_19464.jpg

uploadIMG_19465.jpg

In a way I wish the Neca one had been able to have the spotlight for longer, its a deserving and excellent figure for the low-end market, the best poseable Terminator action figure we'd ever had and so long after the film first came out. But Hot toys have not allowed Neca to keep the crown for long. I have minor nitpicks about the Hot Toys figure (nose not vertical enough and slightly too short) but I must admit it is the one to have. Really, if you think it looks good in pictures (and admittedly sometimes I thought it didn't) you won't believe your eyes to see it in person. Just phenomenal. Its pros outweigh its few negatives and the price difference shows when you put it alongside the Neca....so I may keep them seperate in my collection afterall. However the Neca is keeping the HT rosebox, I think it looks great with it.

if neca would just step up on their paint jobs,
there is where their arnie falls short imo, great likeness, cheap looking paint job.

Last edited:
The neca sculpt is great and the facial dimensions are more accurate than HT, but yeah the paint and that rough surface texture spoil it if you put it alongside the Hot Toys. It comes across as cartoony compared to the incredibly realistic skintones and the eyes of HT T-800. Having said that I'm not going to suddenly turn my back on the Neca stuff, I love it, I love the 7" scale. You can build a huge collection, create all the looks from the film at significantly less cost than trying to buy multiples of the HT figure to do the same. And they only look cartoony if you put them next to HT. Take them by themselves and they're fine. They look great.

Well yeah. Why would anyone mix lines? The Hot Toys figures are good for the price and purpose they serve, high end collectibles and the NECA figures are good for what they are, low end.

I don't know about you Devo but I hate it when other collectors are like "Meh, the NECA one is crap, the Hot Toys one is better." From a general collectible stand point, that may be true. I think what people forget to take into account though is that, on one hand you have a somewhat limited $150 + collectible and on the other a mass produced $12 figure. They're the best of both worlds. Does one have to be deemed superior while the other, inferior?

I really, really like NECAs Arnold headsculpt. I know people would never agree with me but I think its better sculpt wise going by these pics and owning one. I think if you sent a plain old NECA head to Hot Toys and they somehow casted it in their plastic and hand painted it we'd have the definitive sunglasses look.

With that said though, I don't even own the Hot Toys one, so how can I talk? I'm on the fence with it. I REALLY REALLY wanted it when I saw the specs but then all these in hand pics flooded in and it just looks off. Small head, dark features around the eyes, a noticeable gap between the neck and head (why didn't they just use a neck post). Basically all the gripes you had Devo.

Since it appears we have (or had since you now have one) the same issues with the HT headsculpt do you suggest I buy one? I know things are better in person (I HATED how HT Two-Face and Cop Joker looked until I owned them) but there is something about that head that really throws everything off. My plan was to wait and see if they make a new clean V2 head and just buy the necessary parts for the pre-pescadero look. I'm taking a gamble, but so are the people that are buying with a possible update.

i'm looking forward to neca's predator lines.
their predator 1 has ht beat on likeness, i hope they do a 1/6 one.

I don't know about you Devo but I hate it when other collectors are like "Meh, the NECA one is crap, the Hot Toys one is better." From a general collectible stand point, that may be true. I think what people forget to take into account though is that, on one hand you have a somewhat limited $150 + collectible and on the other a mass produced $12 figure. They're the best of both worlds. Does one have to be deemed superior while the other, inferior?

I agree. It disappoints me when I see people saying 'now I can get rid of that Neca figure'. It sounds ungrateful for Neca after they became the first company to end almost 20 years with no decent poseable T2 figures that definitely looked like what they were supposed to be straight from box.. Yes there were statues, busts and PFs but nothing really for the action figure enthusiast.
So I do feel an attachment to Neca's line. It derives from my love and nostalgia for the McFarlane 7" T2 figures (which were more like statues in figure form). They were the first Terminator figures I owned since the Kenner ones, there was finally an attempt to make them look like what they were supposed to look like (lack of arnie likeness excepted)..and in turn Neca came along, bettered and improved upon those in all the important ways - useful articulation thats still well hidden and of course by actually having the likeness rights. Despite having moved up to high end 1/6th Neca's T2 line made me jump right back into the classic 7" sized figures.

No one has to say that one is better than the other (HT versus Neca). However when you've got two figures based on the same subject matter coming out at the same time it kind of inevitably comes into play. "Which one will I get?" Well me I buy both because I'm a T2 nut and I have zero self discipline with my money. :D But for others its kind of called upon to decide which is more worth having.
If we do get into making a decision on which is better I admit that it would be foolish to actually say that the lower end Neca is better than the higher end HT. But then even in the great debate I had with Nam I was never saying such a thing. I was only saying that objectively there were some things right about Tankman's headsculpt that aren't quite right about Yulli's sculpt and this I still believe is true. Equally objectively I think I see beautifully realistic subtleties in Yulli's sculpt that, if they are present on Tankman's one, may be unfortunately muted by the paint or the sandpaper skin texture.

I really, really like NECAs Arnold headsculpt. I know people would never agree with me but I think its better sculpt wise going by these pics and owning one. I think if you sent a plain old NECA head to Hot Toys and they somehow casted it in their plastic and hand painted it we'd have the definitive sunglasses look.

I would love to see Tankman's sculpt given a HT finish and paintjob. I agree, with the more accurate vertical dimensions of Neca T-800s face, the sunglasses look better on it. With the sunglasses on the HT things look a bit too squashed in the centre of his face if you compare it to a film still. Is the Neca actually a better sculpt? Well its got the dimensions in its favour, its hair is equally well done and it doesn't have the annoying neck joint at the base of the skull. But the Hot Toys has the high-end finish and eyes that really look like they were plucked from Arnie's head and reduced to 1/6th scale. Also I think it has the mouth area better than the Neca one. Neca's figure, I dunno, the jaw is too puffed out or something - it looks like a permanent 'concentration' face such as he would make while firing the shotgun - now this may have been deliberate in which case this is exactly what Arnie looks like while discharging the shotgun in the mall corridor...but something more neutral might have been preferred.

Maybe Tankman's sculpt would definitively be better if it had a high-end finish, I am certainly capable of entertaining that notion. Right now though the HT one both looks enough like Arnie in its raw sculpt and has the high end finish so its hard not to go with HT if you have to choose.

With that said though, I don't even own the Hot Toys one, so how can I talk? I'm on the fence with it. I REALLY REALLY wanted it when I saw the specs but then all these in hand pics flooded in and it just looks off. Small head, dark features around the eyes, a noticeable gap between the neck and head (why didn't they just use a neck post). Basically all the gripes you had Devo.

Since it appears we have (or had since you now have one) the same issues with the HT headsculpt do you suggest I buy one? I know things are better in person (I HATED how HT Two-Face and Cop Joker looked until I owned them) but there is something about that head that really throws everything off. My plan was to wait and see if they make a new clean V2 head and just buy the necessary parts for the pre-pescadero look. I'm taking a gamble, but so are the people that are buying with a possible update.

My feelings are thus: I was looking at a lot of pics of the Hot Toys T-800 figure and considering starting a thread in the General Collectibles forum entitled "Afraid to speak your mind in the midst of rabid HT fanboyism?" Because I thought it looked very underwhelming in a few pics. Excellent in some properly taken, properly futzed and posed pics but fairly meh in the pics of a few other people who were perhaps impatient in taking photos (like me) or who just don't seem to have an eye for when something looks stupid in a photograph! Those same criticisms you mention were all going through my head and I just didn't want to risk saying them in the MMS117 thread.

Now I have the figure and I believe anyone who says 'pics don't do it justice'. My nitpicks are just out the window. I suppose I can't say for sure yet that this isn't just 'new toy boner' talking. Furthermore as a T2 fanatic and completist RE: poseable figures from said film its not a purchase I would ever regret anyway even if my nitpicks did come to the fore again. All I know is a few bad photos don't matter with this figure in my hand.

Last edited:
Well I'm leaning closer to just buying the damn thing. I have 5 of them on my ebay watch list. I have two doubts. The first obviously being the Yuli headsculpt and also the possibility of Hot Toys producing an even better "clean" head with the proper neck/head joint (perhaps as a Cyberdyne version). Money isn't an issue when it comes to this Batman and Terminator stuff, I just don't want to waste it and go through the hassle of trying to convince myself that it was worth the money if I don't like it.

Sigh, I'm probably going to buy it within the week. The more I think about it and the more I discuss it there are more positive reasons for me to buy the Hot Toys version. You've pretty much convinced me that I need to own this, especially since we're like minded and neutral on the whole "which is better and definitive" issue.

Even if I really love the Hot Toys version when I get it I'm not the kind of person that will turn around and sell all my NECA 6" and 7" stuff. Hell, I have a few Kenner figures from the 90s T2 and T2:3D line that I've kept out of nostalgia.

Thanks for the comments man. I'm sure by the end of the week I'll have a Hot Toys T-800 paid for and on the way. I guess it can't really hurt having T2 spanning from Movie Maniacs, Cult Classics, Minimates and Hot Toys. Should make for a great Terminator 2 Judgement Day set up.

Well I'm leaning closer to just buying the damn thing. I have 5 of them on my ebay watch list. I have two doubts. The first obviously being the Yuli headsculpt and also the possibility of Hot Toys producing an even better "clean" head with the proper neck/head joint (perhaps as a Cyberdyne version). Money isn't an issue when it comes to this Batman and Terminator stuff, I just don't want to waste it and go through the hassle of trying to convince myself that it was worth the money if I don't like it.

Sigh, I'm probably going to buy it within the week. The more I think about it and the more I discuss it there are more positive reasons for me to buy the Hot Toys version. You've pretty much convinced me that I need to own this, especially since we're like minded and neutral on the whole "which is better and definitive" issue.

Even if I really love the Hot Toys version when I get it I'm not the kind of person that will turn around and sell all my NECA 6" and 7" stuff. Hell, I have a few Kenner figures from the 90s T2 and T2:3D line that I've kept out of nostalgia.

Thanks for the comments man. I'm sure by the end of the week I'll have a Hot Toys T-800 paid for and on the way. I guess it can't really hurt having T2 spanning from Movie Maniacs, Cult Classics, Minimates and Hot Toys. Should make for a great Terminator 2 Judgement Day set up.

I'll be very interested to hear your thoughts if and when you do get it and good or bad.

Certainly I know what you mean about the HT headsculpt. In some shots he looks too aged with too many lines and shadows. I've always thought his nose is angled slightly wrong, the bridge is slightly too short and possibly he may have too much of a power-brow (to go against Necas overdone power-jaw). I won't say that the pictures are lying but as easy as it is to look at the figure in an unflattering light its easier still to look at it from another angle and say 'thats a miniature Arnold Schwarzenegger right there'.

The small head issue is, if not completely fixable, at least acceptably fixable by bringing the jacket collar in tighter. Our perception of it seems to be linked with the amount of T-shirt on show down the middle. Also maybe worth noting is the HT head is, far as I can tell, the same size as the Neca one.

The other issue I've heard is the legs seeming too long, I dunno bout this one. Maybe but its not something leaping out at me. However what I may experiment with one day is beefing up the legs a bit. It might make the legs appear shorter should I decide they ought to be. The Neca figure's legs are thicker and don't make him look like a freak so I suspect the HT ones could stand to have a bit more meat on them and only make the figure look better.

Last edited:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here you got a couple of pics of Arnie's improved elbow articulation. Crappy pics, i know, they were taken with the camera of my phone but you can see the idea. I tried it on an extra t800 i got to put the alternate BD head on (the one which is less BD), and be able to make a Steel Mill version, but now that NECA is releasing him officially and i will get him,i didn't care if the experiment had gone wrong. Also,I didn't cut all the material i could (just a test), so i guess you can manage to rise his arm more. I think it's OK like that.What do you think?

Last edited:
Difab, buy the HT T-800. It's what you were born to do. :lecture

Nah but seriously, a lot of people are saying it's Hot Toys' best ever figure. It's from Terminator 2. It's arnold. 'nuff said :D

Are there any Packaged shots of the Steel Mill, Battle Across time Arnies and the Pescadero T-1000 floating about?

The best representations of Arnie as T2 T-800 at high-end and low-end. 2009 and 2010 shall be years long remembered for the terminator fanatic.

uploadIMG_19462.jpg

uploadIMG_19463.jpg

uploadIMG_19466.jpg

uploadIMG_19464.jpg

uploadIMG_19465.jpg

In a way I wish the Neca one had been able to have the spotlight for longer, its a deserving and excellent figure for the low-end market, the best poseable Terminator action figure we'd ever had and so long after the film first came out. But Hot toys have not allowed Neca to keep the crown for long. I have minor nitpicks about the Hot Toys figure (nose not vertical enough and slightly too short) but I must admit it is the one to have. Really, if you think it looks good in pictures (and admittedly sometimes I thought it didn't) you won't believe your eyes to see it in person. Just phenomenal. Its pros outweigh its few negatives and the price difference shows when you put it alongside the Neca....so I may keep them seperate in my collection afterall. However the Neca is keeping the HT rosebox, I think it looks great with it.

The NECA have better likeness, but he Hot Toys have better paint.

I love the NECA 12" figure. Tankman sculpt rocks (no shock there), but the paint apps for the head/hands were lacking. Removable glasses with painted eyes would have been nice

Back