Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best advice in this thread. Why respond to random morons who have been writing the same crap repeatedly for weeks about how they can't stand this movie, yet they have to keep coming back to this thread. :lol:lol:lol

Hey, have at it. If you think ignoring me will make this film's problems magically disappear, please do! Unfortunately placing me on ignore will not achieve the following:

*Make this film the box-office smash it was set to become, instead of the rather middling "success" it is now.

*Make plot-holes and inconsistencies go *poof.*

*Make fuzzy logic become something straight out of the brain of Mr Spock AND Stephen Hawking, both at the same time.

*Make 'meh" characters become characters we like and care what happens to.

*Stop all negative reviews, both now and for all time because the good Lord knows, negative discussion is BAD discussion. Having to think about other people's points of view is just BAD!

Some of you people remind me of the die-hards who just insisted that Catwoman-In-Name-Only was the greatest film ever. LOL! In sad fact of the matter, CINO actually had more of a coherent plot than Prometheus does. A more damning condemnation of a cinematic work would be hard to find.

Put me on Ignore, I double-dog dare ya. Maybe that'll make the sequel a smash hit; good luck tryin.'

p.s. I am a she, thanks. Please get it straight.

Apologist:Are you really going to blatantly lie like that?

If only he were lying, Apologist. But he is completely right: every time someone tries to reason with you, you respond with "IS NOT!" I spent more than enough posts trying to reason with you, you completely ignored my rationales and then started calling me names.

I honestly am not trying to be biased..

*sarcasm* Yeah. Right.

Hopefully you'll put me on Ignore first. That would be most welcome, I can tell you.

:lol:lol:lol

When you have to speculate and fill in the blanks to make sense of a movie then it has plot holes. Most if not ALL plot holes can be reasonably explained by viewers. The answers might not be perfect, but they're usually satisfactory. But like I've been saying to you, that doesn't change the fact that they're still plot holes. The thing with you is, once you reasonably explain a plot hole you think it's no longer a plot hole/was never a plot hole to begin with. :lol

We all piece together stuff/speculate to make sense of movies. It's normal. What isn't normal is to outright deny that they exist. Which you seem dead set on. Which is odd because who cares!? You liked it, cool. Why should this movie having plot holes or negative criticism affect your opinion of it!?
Yeah, I'm confused.

What about somthing like... Arnold's character in Predator being able to create all of these intricate traps for the Predator out of logs, leaves and branches, etc?

I assume, based on what I know of his character, that he's been trained to do this. No one ever actually comes out and says in the movie, "Arnold's character, Dutch, has been trained on how to build intricate traps out of logs and foliage found in rainforests. That is how he is able to do this in Predator."

Would that be a plot hole then?

How is that different from the engineer killing them, or the black ooze being a bioweapon?

It seemed like we were given plenty of information to understand why the engineer acted that way, and what the black ooze's purpose was.

Why is Dutch wearing camouflage clothing...
Why is Dutch using a gun...
Why is Dutch breathing air...
Why do I have a throbbing headache...

If only he were lying, Apologist. But he is completely right: every time someone tries to reason with you, you respond with "IS NOT!" I spent more than enough posts trying to reason with you, you completely ignored my rationales and then started calling me names.

*sarcasm* Yeah. Right.

Hopefully you'll put me on Ignore first. That would be most welcome, I can tell you.
You're right. Sorry

What about somthing like... Arnold's character in Predator being able to create all of these intricate traps for the Predator out of logs, leaves and branches, etc?

That's different. You know from the beginning of the movie that Arnold and his whole team are military/special-ops so the traps he and his team set (none of them are intricate btw) isn't a plot hole. Just like when you see Scientist in Prometheus doing their thing it's not a plot hole to ask "How are these people doing all that Science stuff!?" :lol

Now if Arnold and his team were a bunch of Botanists who got lost in the jungle and suddenly became weapons experts with military knowledge THAT would've been a huge plot hole.

I think the film will be looked on less harshly later on, but it won't be a classic. It's just not good enough.

But who knows. Maybe those added footage stuff might help.

Best advice in this thread. Why respond to random morons who have been writing the same crap repeatedly for weeks about how they can't stand this movie, yet they have to keep coming back to this thread. :lol:lol:lol

This thread really took a dive. Every other post is about whether it's a a plot hole or not.

:wave

kVodv.gif

I don't think it will be looked back on as a classic but I still loved it. Added compelling new ideas to the Alien universe and showed us a bit about the Space Jockey. I hope the story continues, but if it doesn't I still enjoyed the movie and that's all I give a crap about. I saw this 3 times and every time I enjoyed it more and that says to me it was a good movie. Or I have ____ty taste in movies. Either way I'm happy.

If a poorly reviewed film like Blade Runner can be considered one of the greatest sci-fi films ever made 30 years later then a movie getting rave reviews from most top critics sure as heck has a shot at the same thing.

Blade Runner is a piece of ____. It wasn't good in '82 and it isn't good now. Not even multiple editions could save it.

It's a cult film, no better than the Warriors or the Rocky Horror picture show (not that said cult films or cult films are bad).

Batty is good, the visuals and city are great. The rest? Mehhhhhhhhhh, OVERRATED.

Last edited:
Yuck Blade Runner. So incredibly boring and over rated. Its got its reputation as it was basically one of the trend setters. The movie makes no sense and it wouldnt from the get go because " Do robots dream of sheep " or whatever the book was called is so random and weird that it could never make a movie that made sense. But interestingly last night i watched A Scanner Darkly what was wrote by the guy who did the Blade Runner Script and i enjoyed it far more despite it being a massive flop of a film.

Yuck Blade Runner. So incredibly boring and over rated. Its got its reputation as it was basically one of the trend setters. The movie makes no sense and it wouldnt from the get go because " Do robots dream of sheep " or whatever the book was called is so random and weird that it could never make a movie that made sense. But interestingly last night i watched A Scanner Darkly what was wrote by the guy who did the Blade Runner Script and i enjoyed it far more despite it being a massive flop of a film.

I have no problem with not liking it but I'd love to know how it doesn't make sense? Man plays god, man's creations become better then him, man's creations kill him, one figures out what really matters is simply living and love with the precious time he's been given. The idea is that a replicant gained more humanity then the people who gifted it life. It's about the meaning of life, basically it's the same as Prometheus. The engineer saw this man playing God who built David, and who wants to live forever and kills him and his creation to punish him for his arogance and greed. The Engineer is then punished in much the same way killed by what amounts to his own arrogant creations. It's poetic justice and a reoccuring theme with Ridely.

I have no problem with not liking it but I'd love to know how it doesn't make sense? Man plays god, man's creations become better then him, man's creations kill him, one figures out what really matters is simply living and love with the precious time he's been given. The idea is that a replicant gained more humanity then the people who gifted it life. It's about the meaning of life, basically it's the same as Prometheus. The engineer saw this man playing God who built David, and who wants to live forever and kills him and his creation to punish him for his arogance and greed. The Engineer is then punished in much the same way killed by what amounts to his own arrogant creations. It's poetic justice and a reoccuring theme with Ridely.

:clap Damn well put. :clap

That's different. You know from the beginning of the movie that Arnold and his whole team are military/special-ops so the traps he and his team set (none of them are intricate btw) isn't a plot hole. Just like when you see Scientist in Prometheus doing their thing it's not a plot hole to ask "How are these people doing all that Science stuff!?" :lol
But that's not different. That example is just far more obvious than the engineer/black ooze deal.

How do you, Devil, know that Arnold and his team are military/special ops?

...because based on what you've seen throughout the film, you're led to believe so. They arrive to a seemingly secretive base in the jungle by hellicopter. He's briefed on a mission by General Phillips. General Phillips calls Dutch "Major". Arnold's "My team always works alone" line...

You're ASSUMING. Based on what YOU'VE SEEN. Based on the HINTS YOU'RE GIVEN. That Arnold and co. are a military/spec-ops team.

..just like in Prometheus.

Forget all of the other "plot holes" right now and focus on this one.

You're assuming based on what you've seen, that the engineer isn't going to be entirely friendly to them when they wake up. Or maybe he will. You don't know for sure yet, but you've been given some pretty obvious, in-your-face reasons as to why he won't be friendly with them.

What have you learned? They were supposed to go to Earth two-thousand years ago. The ship they were taking is filled with thousands of ampules containing a deadly bioweapon. And here is the big one. RIGHT BEFORE they awake the last surviving engineer, when Elizabeth asks David why they were going to Earth (or somthing like that), he simply replies... "To create, one must first destroy" or somthing along those lines.

How is this a plot hole? It's a bit more vague than the Predator situation. But that's it. It's the same deal, the same thing..it's just a tad more vague. You have to think more, pay more attention to it...but the answer is there.

You are given reasons to believe the engineer is not going to be so friendly. Just like you're given reasons that Arnold and co. are a spec-ops team.

It's not some crazy idea that grandpa Lar'ja randomly thought up one night to justify an odd occurence in a bad film.....it's all based on what I thought were obvious hints. WHY ELSE would David say "To create, one must first destroy". He's OBVIOUSLY implying that the engineers were going to destroy us, right? Why else would he say that?

:goodpost:

Back