Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just because a movie has plot holes, plot inconsistencies, errors, etc. doesn't mean you can't enjoy it and still like/love it. God knows I like me some crappy movies sometimes. :lol

And just because a movie is brilliant, well acted, unpredictable, visual stunning, and thought provoking doesn't mean you can't be turned off for whatever reason and still hate it. God knows I hate some well made movies sometimes. ;) :duff

dutchk.png

"Youuuu sunova_____!"

:lol

I get that the movie was severely flawed, and after my fourth viewing I don't want to see it again....But I still don't effing understand how the engineer killing them was a plot hole that helped ruin the film.

It's like..if you have to think just a little bit, if somthing isn't fully explained...the movie is automatically crap.

One of, if not the greatest things about Alien (for me), was the derelict. You don't know why it was there, you don't know what that fosilized creature's purpose was...the eggs, the pilot seat he was sitting in.. It's somthing I think about almost everyday. You know nothing about it.

The derelict is actually much more mysterious than many things in Prometheus I think. In Prometheus we're atleast given hints/evidence as to why most things occur.

IOne of, if not the greatest things about Alien (for me), was the derelict. You don't know why it was there, you don't know what that fosilized creature's purpose was...the eggs, the pilot seat he was sitting in.. It's somthing I think about almost everyday. You know nothing about it.

The derelict is actually much more mysterious than many things in Prometheus I think. In Prometheus we're atleast given hints/evidence as to why most things occur.

The derelict was pretty cool! It wasn't the main reason I enjoy watching the film, but it certainly did add to the awe-inspiring atmosphere.

One of, if not the greatest things about Alien (for me), was the derelict. You don't know why it was there, you don't know what that fosilized creature's purpose was...the eggs, the pilot seat he was sitting in.. You know nothing about it.

ANNNNNNDDDD... that's because it's irrelevant to the plot. Remove that entire scene and just make it Dallas, the weird chick and Big Daddy Kane exploring some alien planet with Kane flipping over rocks for whatever reason and then a facehugger attacks him. Same exact movie from that point on. Its only purpose was to put things in motion to set up the actual story and not knowing anything about the Derelict, why it was there, what that fossilized creature's purpose was, the eggs, the pilot seat he was sitting in, etc. doesn't affect the rest of the movie.

Now in contrast, the whole point of Prometheus is to make contact with the Engineers. And when the crew does, the Engineer goes ape____ and starts impersonating The Hulk. Why!? You can make a billion guesses and a billion theories but that doesn't change the fact that it's never explained in-film. And it should have been, since it's the core of the whole films plot.

But it's typical considering who was involved with the script.

I think it was kind of obvious why he attacked them though.

You don't learn why the engineers changed their minds about us, humanity, but I think it's pretty obvious that he killed Weyland and the crew..erm...because we know they changed their mind about us, humanity. :lol

People keep saying he "randomly went hulk on them"...but I don't think it was random.

They were coming to Earth two thousand years ago. Planet is a bioweapon outpost. David: To create, one must first destroy.

Shaw: Why do you hate us?! Why did you change your mind about us?! What did we do wrong?!

Those aren't theories that I'm making...that's what they actually say in the film.

We DON'T know why they changed their minds about humanity. We DON'T know why they decided to destroy humanity. I think that might be the focus for a sequel.
But, we know that they did indeed change their minds. Which should explain why he killed Weyland and the rest of the crew in the room.

Maybe I have some mental illness and was hallucinating while watching the movie, but I found all of this to be very obvious and don't understand why everyone else doesn't.

The movie also never established whether they ever really "liked" us either. Zero gravity has more weight than this story does.

BTW, given their extraordinarily drawn out and random "creation" process, can we even give the Engineers much credit for our existence?

Maybe I have some mental illness and was hallucinating while watching the movie, but I found all of this to be very obvious and don't understand why everyone else doesn't.

It's called youth. It's alright, I've seen worse.

Because it's your opinion/explanation. Not the writer's. Not in-film, Not on-screen. Pretty simple. :wave
...but..it...was..on..screen...

...shaw even asks them...why they want to destroy us...in...the movie...

They were coming to Earth two thousand years ago. Planet is a bioweapon outpost. David: To create, one must first destroy.

Shaw: Why do you hate us?! Why did you change your mind about us?! What did we do wrong?!

Those aren't theories that I'm making...that's what they actually say in the film.

Newsflash! ...what the Engineer actually murmured before screw topping David...

"Pathetic earthlings. Hurling your bodies out into the void, without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here. If you had known anything about the true nature of the universe, anything at all, you would've hidden from it in terror..."

..oh wait...that was a different bald, god-like entity..

the space jockeys were dead jealous about HAIR.

take a look what happened to david when he rubbed it on the jockey's face....of course he went ape____.

:lol

I get that the movie was severely flawed,

Hey man, do NOT backpedal on account of these guys. They're a good enough bunch but their opinions aren't always on the money. ;)

Just the other day they were all going off in the Indy forum about what a horrible movie Raiders of the Lost Ark was and how The Last Crusade was so much better because the knight at the end explained exactly what a good choice vs. a bad choice will get you in the grail chamber.

They said the script for Raiders was just awful because the Ark "hulked out" and went all ape____ on all the Nazis without any explanation and they chided the writers for Indy's "close your eyes Marion" when nothing in the movie ever established that the Ark only hated people looking at it or that Indy would ever know that it if did. It was brutal.

Then they went off about how stupid Ghostbusters was and how "it will never be a classic" because Zhul didn't spell out to Ray why she will never allow a mortal to stand in her presence for more than five seconds and what actually made her a god in her mind verses a human and so on. I said "but Ghostbusters is already kind of a classic" and they laughed at me and posted a gif of Ray saying "no, no, no, no, no, no" to all these different cartoon characters asking if he was a god.

:nana:

Because it's your opinion/explanation. Not the writer's. Not in-film, Not on-screen. Pretty simple. :wave

And he's entitled to his opinion. Pretty simple. :wave

...but..it...was..on..screen...

...shaw even asks them...why they want to destroy us...in...the movie...

Keep hitting them man. I like your theories and opinions.

Back