Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After watching Avengers in 3D, I said I would never see another 3D movie.

Then for Prometheus, I had the timing wrong so I went ahead and bought tickets for the IMAX 3D viewing and I was amazed.

It was just so beautiful. So clear, so realistic. So intense.

I would have love to sit there and watch the Prometheus flying through space for the entire two-year trip.

The difference between movies shot in 3D vs. post-converted 2D.

So you're here spewing your crap and you haven't seen it? :dunno

Perhaps I'm missing the joke here? If indeed true, you're a fraud.

Enough of the "plotholes" junk too. We get it, move on man.

As I said I saw this for a second time yesterday (once again in 3D) and I think it might be even better the second time. I loved it the first time but it was a bit of a "pallet cleanser" for me. I really was expecting Scott to sneak in the classic xenomorph at some point and was anticipating it the whole movie. This time I got to settle in and just soak up this new direction of the story. And it is just a fantastic film.

I may just like it more than The Avengers.

A couple of things that stood out this time around.

1. It seemed much more clear that the guy reaching for the hammerpede was trying to impress his cranky friend. Still a dumb move of course but it made a *little* more sense at least.

Now the really good stuff:

2. I absolutely love how this movie turns so many aspects of the "later" films completely upside down. Before when you thought of the "company" they were this horrible evil entity that would wipe out any given crew at the drop of a hat simply to get a shiny new weapon. Now it seems that after the events of Prometheus they were merely playing "Nick Fury" and were trying to get HYDRA technology (black goo) to prevent the Earth from being wiped out by an Engineer attack. Even Shaw and the captain realized that that is a "crew expendable" type of situation!

Now take a second look at Burke. He really might have been on to something when he said, "we could both come out as heroes and be set for life...." Sure we know he was more interested in the "set for life" part but he may have actually been on to something with the "hero" part too. Amazing. THAT is some damn clever ingenuity injected into this very stale franchise.

3. Thinking again back to "Aliens" you also have to take a second look at the "busy little creatures." How interesting that these lethal killing machines create a hive with a hierarchy and soldiers who respond to the Queen's instruction to back off in order to preserve eggs. What do they care? They are living weapons of mass destruction! Or are they in their own minds? Because aren't WE also "busy little creatures?" If xenomorphs are just weapons that eventually create their own society of sorts it begs the question as to just what OUR original intention was supposed to be.

4. I noticed this time that after David talks to the Engineer and the Engineer attacks him and Weyland that the other dude immediately starts shooting him with a shotgun. Makes you wonder how the Engineer would have responded if no one else attacked him. Maybe he was just ticked at Weyland's request? Who knows.

And on that same not it makes Hicks "I like to keep this handy, for close encounters" much less comforting. Someone watching Prometheus first then Aliens would still be freaked out that Hicks is basically defenseless depending on what they come across.

5. One of most most reviled aspects of "Alien 3" going back to newsgroups in the 90's was the "magic egg" that inexplicably appears on the Sulaco. The "magic goo" that causes rapid mutation completely changes all of that. The aliens are constantly dripping with crap. Maybe some of the goo that drips off the Queen can mutate into an egg? Again who knows but Prometheus really does change the viability of and how you look at every movie after it.

6. The music! One of the best scores and certainly the best sci-fi score I've heard in many years. Bravo that we're not treated to another forgettable and derivative piece of throw away music. I love the scene where David is standing in the pilot chamber and all the planetary holograms are circling him. Beautiful scene, amazing music. Again the movie is downright Kubrikian in parts.

I do have a couple of nitpicks. I would have liked at least one or two more lines establishing the gung ho nature of Holloway "I didn't fly half a billion miles just to leave my helmet on," or something to that effect and of course the hammerpede could have been staged a little better.

Also the last scene. I liked it the first time I saw it when I was still anticipating the classic xenormorph. But now I wished that they went right to credits after Shaw's "last survivor of the Prometheus" speech. It's a great last line, great shot of the engineer ship launching into space, and the music is awe inspiring and epic. Its a little jarring to break and go to the Deacon bursting. I think that last shot should have been *after* the credits. All in all one of the absolute best sci-fi films in MANY years. Bravo.

Last edited:
Back