Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do spaceships not have any guns or missiles in the Alien universe? ala the phasers and torpedoes of Star Trek or the turbolasers of Star Wars. Just thinking it would have been much handier to attack the Engineer ship that way rather than having to take off and collide with it, thus destroying your ship and killing yourself.

It was a scientific expedition, so I don't think so. Additionally, space physics in Alien and Prometheus seem to be along a more 'realistic' line, so having any type of weapon would affect navigation etc.

Have you even seen the movie yet?

So have you seen Aliens yet? :rotfl

More importantly, have you guys seen this yet:

tumblr_m50lidkhIx1r05cg5.gif

It was great watching how they filmed that scene. They had a fake arm and animatronic hammerpedes.

Love the new sig Goose!!! :rock

Yeah, it looked great in stills but just didn't translate in animated form.

Agreed. The CGI ruined it. Better creature design still.

Do spaceships not have any guns or missiles in the Alien universe? ala the phasers and torpedoes of Star Trek or the turbolasers of Star Wars. Just thinking it would have been much handier to attack the Engineer ship that way rather than having to take off and collide with it, thus destroying your ship and killing yourself.

The Captain told Shaw that the ship wasn't a war ship. Hence, he did the only thing he could do.

So basically, it's never explained how much the Queen weighs or how Ripley could withstand that. According to your logic...that's a plot hole. That's a nightmare. That's what makes an amazing film crap.

But that's not even the case in Prometheus. They actually tell you why **** happens.

Once again, for the millionth god damn time...I haven't made anything up. Not one thing. You simply have to watch the movie and have an IQ above 0. If I said the sky was blue, you'd throw a fit and claim that it's just "my theory". That I'm "making it up". For Christ's sake.

It's just all right there.

How does David open the doors? He spent two years deconstructing ancient languages and he's a ****ing robot. That's how. I'm not telling you this, he is. Listen to his dialogue in the movie.

Why was Charlie disappointed with their discoveries? Because, AS HE ACTUALLY SAYS IN THE FILM, he was expecting to meet and talk to them. And he didn't get to. He thinks they've been dead for thousands of years and he's missed the biggest, most important opportunity of his life. Not a theory I'm making up.

Do you understand how those aren't plot holes? He TELLS YOU why he's disappointed. That's not something I, Lar'ja Thwei am making up. It's what the actual character says in the film. What Ridley Scott put in the film.

Plot holes, nitpicks, flaws, whatever. The general consensus is Prometheus fails to provide a compelling enough experience to distract most people from the problems.

The entire prequel aspect is continually undermined by both the fancy tech Weyland is using and that fact that David gets to appear much more advanced than anything we saw with Ash or even Bishop. The whole "advanced alien god" was undermined by the same silly metrosexual robot. It also robbed the Engineer of any real power or menace in the story.

It is an inferior movie in everyway to the first two (aside from the CGI landscapes of course).

But it IS stupid. :lol

That last scene with Ripley and the queen was one of those moments where you knew her elbow would have been torn apart, but it was sufficient payoff to a memorable and inventive fight scene.

So basically, it's never explained how much the Queen weighs or how Ripley could withstand that. According to your logic...that's a plot hole. That's a nightmare. That's what makes an amazing film crap.

But that's not even the case in Prometheus. They actually tell you why **** happens.

Once again, for the millionth god damn time...I haven't made anything up. Not one thing. You simply have to watch the movie and have an IQ above 0. If I said the sky was blue, you'd throw a fit and claim that it's just "my theory". That I'm "making it up". For Christ's sake.

It's just all right there.

How does David open the doors? He spent two years deconstructing ancient languages and he's a ****ing robot. That's how. I'm not telling you this, he is. Listen to his dialogue in the movie.

Why was Charlie disappointed with their discoveries? Because, AS HE ACTUALLY SAYS IN THE FILM, he was expecting to meet and talk to them. And he didn't get to. He thinks they've been dead for thousands of years and he's missed the biggest, most important opportunity of his life. Not a theory I'm making up.

Do you understand how those aren't plot holes? He TELLS YOU why he's disappointed. That's not something I, Lar'ja Thwei am making up. It's what the actual character says in the film. What Ridley Scott put in the film.

dude the fact of the matter is people who watch aliens don't go away saying that 40% of it seems out of sync with reality.

Promethus has that effect.

Not everything is explained in the movie. watching the movie with the director's commentary will show you that Ridley did make mistakes that should have been avoided.

also the whole idea that it makes sense that the ship is not armed is not congruent with the fact that the crew were carrying weapons.

and it's really unexplainable how the two got lost when one was the mapping expert and had some means to track their exact location.

I could go on. it's a better sci-fic movie compared to a lot of others but plot wise this is definitely below aliens.

it's a better sci-fic movie compared to a lot of others but plot wise this is definitely below aliens.

This. I loved it and thought it was fantastic, but I'd never even think to compare it to Alien or Aliens. Directed by Ridley or not, the original is and always was where it's at. I never expected this movie to one-up or even match the first. I did expect it to come close and expand its world, which it did. Totally satisfied here.

^^^^

agree with you here.

enjoyed the experience but it really could have been a lot more.

The entire prequel aspect is continually undermined by both the fancy tech Weyland is using and that fact that David gets to appear much more advanced than anything we saw with Ash or even Bishop. The whole "advanced alien god" was undermined by the same silly metrosexual robot. It also robbed the Engineer of any real power or menace in the story.
I don't see how David, or the other technology being more advanced is that big of a deal. Didn't affect my viewing experience whatsoever. It's not like they were jumping through hyperspace and blasting TIE fighters. And I don't think David was ever meant to be a normal android. That was kind of the point of his character. There's something iffy about him. It's like he can feel and think. Make his own decisions.
Plus, Ridley's stated time and time again that this story is going in a different direction. Not that that's an excuse, but it makes me care even less about whether the technology advancements match up 100%.

Yeah the mapping balls and all that stuff sure would have come in handy when the Nostromo crew were exploring the derelict or when the marines were sauntering on down to sub level 3.

Prometheus has grown on me though regardless of inconsistencies and silly things.

Back