Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This. I loved it and thought it was fantastic, but I'd never even think to compare it to Alien or Aliens. Directed by Ridley or not, the original is and always was where it's at. I never expected this movie to one-up or even match the first. I did expect it to come close and expand its world, which it did. Totally satisfied here.

Well said.

There are probably a lot of truckers today who wish they had Bill Gates level gear in their mobile home.

True.

The general consensus is Prometheus fails to provide a compelling enough experience to distract most people from the problems.

And how exactly are you generating this "general consensus?" The three nitpickers in this thread, only two of which who have actually seen the movie?

I liked the film. It wasnt at the same level as the first 2, but I still enjoyed it

One great thing is that it really offers something provided by neither of the first two movies.

Alien: Space Truckers being hunted by a single alien.
Aliens: Marines battling a horde of aliens.
Prometheus: Scientists encountering assorted horrors.

That's really cool that each movie provides something different depending on your mood.

To me it's Alien, Prometheus, Alien 3, and then Aliens. There was too much comedy relief in Aliens for me to care about the characters. I like my "Alien" movies a bit more serious and scary than that one. Alien was scary to me and Aliens came off goofy at times.

One great thing is that it really offers something provided by neither of the first two movies.

Alien: Space Truckers being hunted by a single alien.
Aliens: Marines battling a horde of aliens.
Prometheus: Scientists encountering assorted horrors.

That's really cool that each movie provides something different depending on your mood.

:lecture I can roll with that.

To me it's Alien, Prometheus, Alien 3, and then Aliens. There was too much comedy relief in Aliens for me to care about the characters. I like my "Alien" movies a bit more serious and scary than that one. Alien was scary to me and Aliens came off goofy at times.

I never really saw much comedy in Aliens, perhaps because I've been watching it since I was a child and probably only found slapstick comedy funny. Anything in that film that was intended to get a laugh went over my younger head. Even now with the Hudsonisms, I would only find it funny watching it with other people as we try to imitate him.

Anyway my rankings right now:

Alien/Aliens
Alien 3/Prometheus

Alien Resurrection/AvP/AvP:R

Alien
Prometheus
Aliens
Alien3

Resurrection, and I actually do enjoy the filmmaker and his work, it just isn't the right aesthetic for the Alien universe.

I'll have to watch Aliens again but my last two-three viewings left me disappointed. I think it's mostly the stereotypical personalities of the marines, but then again I also love them for that so idunno.

I think Alien is the most well-made film in the franchise followed by Alien 3, then probably Aliens and then Prometheus. The rest are in a much lower scale.

As for my favorite, It's a tie between Prometheus, Alien, and Alien 3. Alien 3 always used to be my favorite though.

I love how in the commentary or perhaps it was the documentary Ridley mentions a Prometheus sequel as if it's definitely happening at this point, and then says something like "Then do we make a third? Maybe we can go even further than that?".

I think the next decade is going to be filled with so much Gigerlicious goodness. :monkey2

I'll have to watch Aliens again but my last two-three viewings left me disappointed. I think it's mostly the stereotypical personalities of the marines, but then again I also love them for that so idunno.

How else would they be? Also bear in mind that Aliens was in 1986, the film probably originated the character types that would be imitated time and again in later films

Aliens and Alien3 flip flop for me. Alien will always reign as the tone and pacing are exactly what I love with movies.

How else would they be? Also bear in mind that Aliens was in 1986, the film probably originated the character types that would be imitated time and again in later films
Well, I agree. That might not even be my issue with it, but something about the film has been agitating me lately. I'll have to watch it again.

Back