Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I agree. That might not even be my issue with it, but something about the film has been agitating me lately. I'll have to watch it again.

I hope your issues with it, whatever they may be, will fade away. You've helped improve my view of Prometheus. I think many of the little issues can be let go since, as you've said, every film has them when you really think about it.

I hope your issues with it, whatever they may be, will fade away. You've helped improve my view of Prometheus. I think many of the little issues can be let go since, as you've said, every film has them when you really think about it.
What even are your main issues with it?

Most of all these "issues" that people complain about seem very self-explanatory to me or are extremely insignificant and shared by many other movies.

What even are your main issues with it?

Most of all these "issues" that people complain about seem very self-explanatory to me or are extremely insignificant and shared by many other movies.

Character stuff - I hate Fifeld for one, just not a personality type you can even take seriously being a scientist let alone one you'd want on a mission like this. Vickers seemed pointless as was her strongly suggested sexual liason with the captain. And things like how Shaw having an alien Squid taken out of her doesn't seem to be a big deal to anyone etc etc.

Last edited:
Character stuff - I hate Fifeld for one, just not a personality type you can even take seriously being a scientist let alone one you'd want on a mission like this. Vickers seemed pointless as was her strongly suggested sexual liason with the captain. And things like how Shaw having an alien Squid taken out of her doesn't seem to be a big deal to anyone etc etc.
Yeah I always felt that Fifield's personality was a bit of a stretch and Vickers was easily my least favorite character. Isn't Charlize one of the most popular actresses right now? I thought she did terrible as Vickers. Part of it was definitely her dialogue, but Noomi was able to act through some poor dialogue.. And yeah, it did seem like her character was supposed to play a bigger part in the story. Not simply reveal that she's Weyland's daughter then be squished by the horseshoe.. :lol
There was no real payoff. Felt like her character was kinda wasted.

...unless it turns out that she survived the juggernaut which would give Ridley a valid reason to come back to the Deacon in the sequel.

As for the squid baby, I always figured they didn't care because it was the big finale and they had much more important things to deal with. ie meeting God. But I do agree, I think they should have at least mentioned the trilobite at some point. Which Vickers does in the deleted scene.

Vickers seemed pointless as was her strongly suggested sexual liason with the captain. And things like how Shaw having an alien Squid taken out of her doesn't seem to be a big deal to anyone etc etc.

Not to "dispute" your opinions or whatever but just to offer my own as a contrast:

I *loved* how Vickers was portrayed as the "Ripley" of Prometheus. She did everything Ripley would have or wanted to do as far as precautions, contingencies and protocols but even better. And yet it didn't save her. Harsh!

And I just found it disturbing in a good way that Shaw goes off and conducts a horrific c-section on herself and the rest of the crew just kind of shrugs it off. Unsettling in that it was so unexpected and cold. It presents Weyland's team as being almost Terminator-like in their devotion to his singular cause. They don't hold grudges, they can't be reasoned with or appealed to on an emotional level, if you've got something they want they'll freeze you or kill you but if you don't they'll instantly let bygones be bygones because they've got bigger fish to fry.

But I do agree, I think they should have at least mentioned the trilobite at some point. Which Vickers does in the deleted scene.

I thought I watched all the deleted scenes but don't remember Vickers mentioning the trilobite. Is it in one of the documentaries?

^ I don't think a-dev's irritated by the fact that they didn't care about Noomi, but that they didn't seem to care about whatever came out of Noomi. Possible threat.

No, it's the deleted scene where her conversation with Weyland is extended. She only has one line about it..something to the effect of..."If you go down there, you're going to die. Have you noticed the thing squealing next door?"

, it's the deleted scene where her conversation with Weyland is extended. She only has one line about it..something to the effect of..."If you go down there, you're going to die. Have you noticed the thing squealing next door?"

Oh, I really liked that extended scene but for whatever reason don't remember her saying that. :duh

Yeah I always felt that Fifield's personality was a bit of a stretch and Vickers was easily my least favorite character. Isn't Charlize one of the most popular actresses right now? I thought she did terrible as Vickers. Part of it was definitely her dialogue, but Noomi was able to act through some poor dialogue.. And yeah, it did seem like her character was supposed to play a bigger part in the story. Not simply reveal that she's Weyland's daughter then be squished by the horseshoe.. :lol
There was no real payoff. Felt like her character was kinda wasted.

...unless it turns out that she survived the juggernaut which would give Ridley a valid reason to come back to the Deacon in the sequel.

As for the squid baby, I always figured they didn't care because it was the big finale and they had much more important things to deal with. ie meeting God. But I do agree, I think they should have at least mentioned the trilobite at some point. Which Vickers does in the deleted scene.

I actually liked Vickers character up until her death. I thought she was fairly Ripley-esque in most of her actions. I completely agreed with her using the flame thrower on Shaw's BF. No way I am letting an infected person back on my ship. She was portrayed as a hard-@ss, but she had a softer side that you see in the deleted scene with the captain after she killed Shaw's BF (I can't remember his name :lol He was my least favorite character.) and her interactions with her father. I didn't like how she gets crushed by the alien ship by continuing to run in a straight line, rather than side stepping it as it fell down.

I actually liked Vickers character up until her death. I thought she was fairly Ripley-esque in most of her actions. I completely agreed with her using the flame thrower on Shaw's BF. No way I am letting an infected person back on my ship. She was portrayed as a hard-@ss, but she had a softer side that you see in the deleted scene with the captain after she killed Shaw's BF (I can't remember his name :lol He was my least favorite character.) and her interactions with her father. I didn't like how she gets crushed by the alien ship by continuing to run in a straight line, rather than side stepping it as it fell down.

Although being very straight forward, reserved and by the book I would understand why she ran in a direct line... :dunno

Yeah, I easily bought that when that thing started coming down that a combination of "fight or flight" and all the ship debris crashing down on either side caused both ladies to initially panic and just run in the opposite direction.

Shaw just had the luxury of falling and getting her bearings with enough time to tuck and roll before the ship crushed her.

^ Charlie was my favorite character. :lol

Other than killing him to protect her ship, I didn't think she greatly resembled Ripley. I thought she was a selfish, cowardly ***** and Charlize's acting killed it for me.

I know most people say Fassbender had the greatest acting but I honestly thought Logan Marshall Green's was superior. I believed every bit of his character, there was never one moment that I doubted him during the film. Everyone seems to hate him for some reason though.

Not saying that Fassbender wasn't great or anything, and I'm sure it took more effort to play his type of character..I just thought LMG absolutely nailed it, and then more. I guess I'm the only one. :lol

Acting quality I'd rate the main characters as such:

1. LMG
2. Fassbender
3. Noomi
4. Idris Elba
5. Charlize

Although I think just about every one of the background characters did better than Charlize as well.

Yeah, I easily bought that when that thing started coming down that a combination of "fight or flight" and all the ship debris crashing down on either side caused both ladies to initially panic and just run in the opposite direction.
Not to mention the many 6-7 foot rock structures all around them.

Movie was pretty good, watched it on demand not too long ago..but, i was stumped a bit lol..as to why they always do this **** in movies these days..Vickers wasn't sleeping with the Asian pilot instead the black one?..getting tired of this modern day cliche...

Idris Elba was nothing more than "the black pilot" to you? Okay....

He's a good actor(though he ****ed up Thor for me personally) but,why do they always do the "white woman on black guy" **** in sooo many movies these days, how about "white woman on Filipino guy" or "white woman on persian guy"..or "white guy on black woman"..they just roll with whats trending i guess.

Back