Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prometheus is the story of a trillion-dollar mission to discover the origins of human life on a distant planet. Basically, this is supposed to be the greatest exploration undertaken in the history of mankind.

So who do they send? A gaggle of fractious goons whose collective scientific nous is rivalled only by that of the Three Stooges. Within minutes of touching down (conveniently beside the only 'man-made' structures on the planet, a'la 1960s Star Trek) the 'scientists' are yanking off their helmets, on the basis of 'it seems fine to me', dipping their fingers into strange organic ooze, and lugging a severed alien head back to an unquarantined spaceship in a sandwich bag.

Once there, they speedily discover the meaning of life. Then, while one of them gets a bit drunk, his two female companions decide it would be useful to stimulate the head electrically to reanimate it. They don't say why. They give it a bit too much juice, then too little,then dither over too much or too little like a couple of schoolgirls fiddling with a dicky bunsen burner, while the most important scientific discovery in human history waggles its ears and rolls its eyes - before eventually blowing up like a frog in a microwave.

Are the scientists abashed? Is the man angry? Do they all calm down and remember they have degrees in clever things, not diplomas in macramé? Do they heck.

The WHOLE MOVIE is a litany of ludicrous so-called science, schoolboy errors, and pseudo-profundity about the origin of species. Ironic really, when none of the crew would have a chance in hell in any sort of contest governed by Darwinian rules.

Crass stupidity is rampant in every department. Hi-tech helmets record every heartbeat - apparently until anything worth recording happens; stranded crewmates are abandoned to their fate in favour of a quick shag, and the spaceship door is opened to anyone who comes a-knocking. Although, after hitting the 'welcome' button, Idris Alba does do a double take and go 'Hold on a second!' but that might have just been an involuntary ad lib at his own character's baffling idiocy.

There is spectacular cinematography and effects, but not one iota of originality has been squandered on plot, subtext, tension or characters - which are as shallow as the Prometheus's muddy little gene pool.

Ridley Scott is a hero of mine, but Prometheus is not the intelligent, emotionally satisfying prequel that Alien deserves. It's a derisory, empty experience - and anyone who loved Alien is surely too old and too smart to be fobbed off with something this bad just because it's shiny.

I LOLed at this review. :lol

I know I was laughing at parts that were supposed to be serious...and so were most others in the IMAX I saw it at.

I was also a bit shocked by the complete lack of any scientific or medical credibility.

Now what I expected from Scott or a prequel to a movie like ALIEN.

It was also interesting that the script notes indicated that Engineers see great beauty in vastly more spectrums than the human eye can comprehend. They're constantly seeing so many more aspects to the universe than their black, grey, and white color scheme projected and perceived by humans would suggest.

So their planet and what they see as "paradise" could actually be dark and horrifying to human eyes....

To see an Alien world resembling Giger's visions would be a dream come true to me! I want to see something so surreal, that'll it'll wake me from nightmares with cold sweats! :yess:

It's all true, though...

sigpic11288_4.gif

To see an Alien world resembling Giger's visions would be a dream come true to me! I want to see something so surreal, that'll it'll wake me from nightmares with cold sweats! :yess:

Giger-esque skyscraper filled molothic cities would make for some sweet scenes.

I always imagined their homeworld looking something like this...obviously too organic and "out there", but still a cool thought:

hr-giger-dark-water.jpg

l.jpg

^ Totally agree.

But it definitely has more than a couple dozen posts in this thread. :lol

I think a quick, permanent banning would solve the problem all together instead of mods having to constantly come in here and clean up it's posts.

Dude you do the exact same thing only in the opposite way.

Let's just all agree to disagree.

It's the Internet after all. I don't think she's done anything the rest haven't.

Not picking sides, just saying. :1-1:

Dude you do the exact same thing only in the opposite way.

Let's just all agree to disagree.

It's the Internet after all. I don't think she's done anything the rest haven't.

Not picking sides, just saying. :1-1:
Speechless. What have I said that is ANYWHERE near the level of hate, negativity and pure insanity that she/her/it has tainted this damn thread with? How could anyone possibly defend that person? I'm just going to assume you haven't read any of "her" early posts.

But uh, yeah. That's absolute bull****.

Speechless. What have I said that is ANYWHERE near the level of hate, negativity and pure insanity that she/her/it has tainted this damn thread with? How could anyone possibly defend that person? I'm just going to assume you haven't read any of "her" early posts.

But uh, yeah. That's absolute bull****.

Hey man, I said the opposite.

No hate. Just the opposite all love.

Peace ya?:wave

You said I "do the exact same thing only in the opposite way". That couldn't be more wrong. I'm not some delusional, fanatic crazy who thought Prometheus was the greatest thing ever. Nor do I go around insulting people who didn't like it, or bashing any of the other summer movies for competing against it.

I loved the movie, but it's not perfect. Never thought for a second that it was.

:peace

You said I "do the exact same thing only in the opposite way". That couldn't be more wrong. I'm not some delusional, fanatic crazy who thought Prometheus was the greatest thing ever. Nor do I go around insulting people who didn't like it, or bashing any of the other summer movies for competing against it.

I loved the movie, but it's not perfect. Never thought for a second that it was.

:peace

You really don't need to justify yourself that way, you know. That said, I have seen you bashing other people for likening movies that you don't like: AVPR, for example. :lol

Back