official Sideshow 1:6 Snake Eyes discussion thread (with full photo)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A commando running around in a wooly pully or tights may have worked in the 80's comics but the SS idea behind these figures is supposed to be "what if". In modern the modern military, even the most battle hardened vet wears body armor. I'm not talking about a suit of armor. I don't know if I'd have my troops running into the heat of battle in wooly pullys.

Actually, in reality, a "what if" Snake Eyes wouldn't shield himself with a black visor which inhibits vision, nor would he run around in underwear. Additionally, I doubt he would rely on an Uzi. He'd most likely sideline the ninjitsu garbage as backup needed only when necessary (out of ammunition) and wrap himself in the latest technology (not a sexy underarmor top) for BDU, equipment and weapons. Hell Cobra Commander's MP7 shoots a smaller round than snakes 9mm UZI, can be suppressed even quieter and it penetrates body armor! The Uzi? Not only does it jam like a mother, but the round itself more often than not takes more than one shot to down opposition. So really looking at the figure, it's clear that they're not basing it off of reality, or what would be more "realistic," but from what I've seen, Tim Bradstreet's sketches of G.I. Joe.

And my deal with the sweater is to keep the overall Snake Eyes appearance while doing something about the dreadful look of that shirt on the Pro. A black BDU top would be too bulky. The sweater is more authentic, considering the first Snake Eyes released wore one.

It's hilarious this ninja-commando uses a medieval knight visor to protect his eyes. The goggles from the original Snakes would have been more "realistic."

Actually, in reality, a "what if" Snake Eyes wouldn't shield himself with a black visor which inhibits vision, nor would he run around in underwear. Additionally, I doubt he would rely on an Uzi. He'd most likely sideline the ninjitsu garbage as backup needed only when necessary (out of ammunition) and wrap himself in the latest technology (not a sexy underarmor top) for BDU, equipment and weapons. Hell Cobra Commander's MP7 shoots a smaller round than snakes 9mm UZI, can be suppressed even quieter and it penetrates body armor! The Uzi? Not only does it jam like a mother, but the round itself more often than not takes more than one shot to down opposition. So really looking at the figure, it's clear that they're not basing it off of reality, or what would be more "realistic," but from what I've seen, Tim Bradstreet's sketches of G.I. Joe.

And my deal with the sweater is to keep the overall Snake Eyes appearance while doing something about the dreadful look of that shirt on the Pro. A black BDU top would be too bulky. The sweater is more authentic, considering the first Snake Eyes released wore one.

As much as I like ya nam, that line makes you seem really ignorant. Ah well, gonna guess you've got a military background there, as a great deal of the military have little to no respect for martial arts, and forgive ya fer it. :D

FYI, I'll never forget when I was in ROTC, and we had a Army Hand to hand guy come out, and say the same thing, and our residen martial artist challenged him becuase of it.. and mopped the floor with the guy for about 30 minites... the guest speaker NEVER came back.

ANYWAYS! :lol

Depends on what your source material is for why He's wearing it. My personal favorite version of where the visor came from was the Dreamwave gi-joe & Transformers comic, where he's fighting with Stormshadow, and takes some shrapnel to the face, which destroys his goggles. He's fighting in the ruins of a medival castle in europe ( this comic took place in the 1940's) and after cauterizing the wounds on is face by flashing some gunpowder into the wounds, he grabs the only face protection he can find. the visor off a ruined piece of mideval armor.

As for his gun, i know the Uzi is kinda his trademark gun, but I'd think that to modernize Snake eyes, a MAC 10
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC-10
Would have kept the character astetic, while simultaniously modernizing the guy.

.45's > 9mm any day of the week.

I would've liked the goggled SE as well, but I can live with the visor. I guess the consensus is that this is a fantasy character and as such not subject to real world rules. Look, the only thing I care about is that he looks cool. Wooly pully, body armor, or tights. As long as he looks cool.

As much as I like ya nam, that line makes you seem really ignorant. Ah well, gonna guess you've got a military background there, as a great deal of the military have little to no respect for martial arts, and forgive ya fer it. :D

FYI, I'll never forget when I was in ROTC, and we had a Army Hand to hand guy come out, and say the same thing, and our residen martial artist challenged him becuase of it.. and mopped the floor with the guy for about 30 minites... the guest speaker NEVER came back.

ANYWAYS! :lol

Ignorance is a POV. Here's the deal. I have a great deal of respect for the martial arts. And I stand behind my statement that they're a great back-up resource but shouldn't be used as a "primary" means to defend yourself in combat.

I've taken several forms of martial arts growing up, from Japanese, to Chinese and even some more obscure forms from Russia, Israel and even the Philippines. While I won't get into discussing military experience here, I will tell you this. Give me a gun over martial arts every day of the week. When you get fired at, no kata or form or degree in black belt or sash is ever gonna deflect the bullets. Your best chance is to grab a gun and fire back (I could add a comment about you being ignorant, but wont). It doesn't matter how good your martial arts skills are, you WON'T dodge a bullet.

This was even acknowledged in an interview with Bruce Lee, arguably one of the greatest martial artists who ever lived, where he stated basically the same thing.

Edit: As for the Mac10, not only is it harder to find, having been replaced by it's 9mm son, the M11, I'd still prefer the MP7. It's lighter, has more options and penetrative power. It's the perfect weapon for a stealthy assassin/commando.

Last edited:
Ignorance is a POV. Here's the deal. I have a great deal of respect for the martial arts. And I stand behind my statement that they're a great back-up resource but shouldn't be used as a "primary" means to defend yourself in combat.

I've taken several forms of martial arts growing up, from Japanese, to Chinese and even some more obscure forms from Russia, Israel and even the Philippines. While I won't get into discussing military experience here, I will tell you this. Give me a gun over martial arts every day of the week. When you get fired at, no kata or form is ever gonna reflect the bullets. Your best chance is to grab a gun and fire back (I could add a comment about you being ignorant, but wont). It doesn't matter how good your martial arts skills are, you WON'T dodge a bullet.

This was even acknowledged in an interview with Bruce Lee, arguably one of the greatest martial artists who ever lived, where he stated basically the same thing.

When I was in boot camp the first thing they told us before we took LINE training was "If you ever have to use this it means you used all of your rounds, grenades, and lost your bayonet and threw your helmet. You are having a BAAAAAD day."

When I was in boot camp the first thing they told us before we took LINE training was "If you ever have to use this it means you used all of your rounds, grenades, and lost your bayonet and threw your helmet. You are having a BAAAAAD day."

:lecture precisely my point! How many Japanese do you think were martial artists, some of them from very honorable and well-versed Shogun lineage, yet died at the business end of an M1 or a flamethrower During WWII? I know there are probably hundreds of USMC vets who could attest to that and quite a few who actually have some antique "souvenir" Katanas to show for it.

Edit: I should add that the term I used "ninjitsu garbage" was in direct reference to actually seeing the "art" applied many times both physically and in broadcast tournaments. It just doesn't seem to be very practical when compared to other, similar arts, having lost it's mystique and hocus pocus theatrics in the modern day world. A prime example of what I'm talking about would be UFC 1. :lol

Last edited:
:lecture precisely my point! How many Japanese do you think were martial artists, some of them from very honorable and well-versed Shogun lineage, yet died at the business end of an M1 or a flamethrower During WWII? I know there are probably hundreds of USMC vets who could attest to that and quite a few who actually have some antique "souvenir" Katanas to show for it.

Yeah, I don't think martial arts training would hurt but would definitely not be a primary method. And yes, my grandfather served as a paratrooper in WWII and I have an Iron Cross he took from a Nazi officer who got too close with the business end of his bayonet.

He does get that at one point to, but it all gets ruined shortly thereafter. Poor guy simply can't catch a break eh?

Even worse...Snake Eyes had reconstructive surgery *again* in the Devil's Due series, and got it worked over by another ninja clan.

I've taken several forms of martial arts growing up, from Japanese, to Chinese and even some more obscure forms from Russia, Israel and even the Philippines. While I won't get into discussing military experience here, I will tell you this. Give me a gun over martial arts every day of the week. When you get fired at, no kata or form or degree in black belt or sash is ever gonna deflect the bullets. Your best chance is to grab a gun and fire back (I could add a comment about you being ignorant, but wont). It doesn't matter how good your martial arts skills are, you WON'T dodge a bullet.

Edit: As for the Mac10, not only is it harder to find, having been replaced by it's 9mm son, the M11, I'd still prefer the MP7. It's lighter, has more options and penetrative power. It's the perfect weapon for a stealthy assassin/commando.

Never said it would, But it's a moot point. Yes, I agree that it's best saved for backup. Personally, Give me a Barret, and a heat sensitive scope with a very nice zoom function, but now we're arguing semantics. i also appreciate you comming back, and explaning your statement a bit more clearly. Earlier statement officialy retracted, however left for posterity.

I agree that the Mac 10's a harder to find weapon, I was only saying it was a better weapon tto use, and it would preserve the astetic.

Personaly, i agree, Revamp the man's loadout from head to tow, Give him a FiveseveN, a P-90 or a FN-2000, and a MP7, and he's ready to go.

I might do that myself.. got an extra hot toys p-90......

Never said it would, But it's a moot point. Yes, I agree that it's best saved for backup. Personally, Give me a Barret, and a heat sensitive scope with a very nice zoom function, but now we're arguing semantics. i also appreciate you comming back, and explaning your statement a bit more clearly. Earlier statement officialy retracted, however left for posterity.

I agree that the Mac 10's a harder to find weapon, I was only saying it was a better weapon tto use, and it would preserve the astetic.

Personaly, i agree, Revamp the man's loadout from head to tow, Give him a FiveseveN, a P-90 or a FN-2000, and a MP7, and he's ready to go.

I might do that myself.. got an extra hot toys p-90......

Hey no prob on the clarification. It was totally apparent that I didn't really explain where I was coming from, which was admittedly a bit deserved after a remark like that. :lol The P90's a good option. The FiveseveN would make sense since it shares the same ammo as the P90. We'll leave the FN2K to Splintercell since it was never fully realized anyhow (and it's garbage :lol). But if I were given the opportunity to modernize Snake Eyes, I'd make him look very similar to this:

ciasadnightops16zr7.jpg

But I'd add a couple of full tang katanas, a 3' ASP and lose the skull balaclava and gloves in favor of a pure black balaclava, tinted WileyX Goggles and a nice set of Damascus gloves.

SNAKE...

SNAKE...

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKKKKEEE!!!!

metal-gear-solid-4.png

SNAKE...
SNAKE...

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKKKKEEE!!!!

A realistic update, not a guy with the haircut of a pro wrestler, dressed in a stealth leotard while running around smelling like an ash tray.

sooo... anyone else thinking of using a hot toys jack krauser sculpt for an unmasked version of snake eyes?

Why on earth would you want to have an unmasked version?! :huh

Hey no prob on the clarification. It was totally apparent that I didn't really explain where I was coming from, which was admittedly a bit deserved after a remark like that. :lol The P90's a good option. The FiveseveN would make sense since it shares the same ammo as the P90. We'll leave the FN2K to Splintercell since it was never fully realized anyhow (and it's garbage :lol). But if I were given the opportunity to modernize Snake Eyes, I'd make him look very similar to this:

ciasadnightops16zr7.jpg

But I'd add a couple of full tang katanas, a 3' ASP and lose the skull balaclava and gloves in favor of a pure black balaclava, tinted WileyX Goggles and a nice set of Damascus gloves.

Mechanic gloves?

Lots o gear is fun on one hand, but there's something more romantic and fantastical when they aren't loaded down with gear like a real modern trooper might be.

I rarely use backpacks on my figures. A flak vest on Snake Eyes would kind off ruin the point for me.

Mechanic gloves?

Believe it or not, they're used. I actually laughed when I first saw this figure, sent it to some friends who said, "yeah, some of us do use those." But that's why I said at the end, I'd kit my SE out with Damascus gloves. Extremely well put together and no bright "Mechanix" logo. :lol

Lots o gear is fun on one hand, but there's something more romantic and fantastical when they aren't loaded down with gear like a real modern trooper might be.

I rarely use backpacks on my figures. A flak vest on Snake Eyes would kind off ruin the point for me.

Who's wearing a flack vest?! :huh

Back