OFFICIAL SPOOKTACULAR 2010 Thread!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question...When I was reading people's comments about the spook kit, they were saying something about having a smart phone and only being able to read the codes with those.

I am very confused. I thought the mask was what that was for? Unless these are people who will not be buying the kit and can only use their phones. Bah! They confused me, I may have confused myself further and probably confused all of you.
The comments are all about the new QR codes that Sideshow is using. The small black-and-white square on the lower left side of the preview page is the QR code. It looks like this:

qr-code-1-418cF0m.gif

These codes can be read by smartphones such as an iPhone, Blackberry or Droid. However, a lot of people are assuming that they can ONLY be used by such devices, or that somehow people with those devices will be able to decode them faster.

Neither of these assumptions is true. There are several good online QR code decoders that you can access from your regular browser that will decode the messages almost instantly. Yesterday's coded message was:

"Stay tuned Monday: Find out how The Dead will soon be taking over your car!"

From the help desk description, it sounds like the codes will be placed randomly around Sideshow's site during Spook, and will contain special product links or special discount codes. But they also made it clear that they WON'T be taking the red decoder messages away. They'll be using both.

The comments are all about the new QR codes that Sideshow is using. The small black-and-white square on the lower left side of the preview page is the QR code. It looks like this:

qr-code-1-418cF0m.gif

These codes can be read by smartphones such as an iPhone, Blackberry or Droid. However, a lot of people are assuming that they can ONLY be used by such devices, or that somehow people with those devices will be able to decode them faster.

Neither of these assumptions is true. There are several good online QR code decoders that you can access from your regular browser that will decode the messages almost instantly. Yesterday's coded message was:

"Stay tuned Monday: Find out how The Dead will soon be taking over your car!"

From the help desk description, it sounds like the codes will be placed randomly around Sideshow's site during Spook, and will contain special product links or special discount codes. But they also made it clear that they WON'T be taking the red decoder messages away. They'll be using both.

Yup, I posted that last night. And for the record, I don't own one of those phones. Just right clicked and "view image" to get the url of the pic and pasted it in the URL window provided HERE to get what it says. I'm guessing it would take just as much time to snap a pic of it to decode with the phones. Yeah, it's a pain, but meh.

Hmmmm...the Spook kit sucks. Oh well, looking forward to helping and getting help during Spook for all the freebees :naughty

I have to agree. A swing and a miss...

I love Spooktacular but this kit isn't interesting at all. Last year the hoodie and catalog alone were well worth the price. I'm disappointed that this year there's nothing substantial like that in it for me.

I already have several freebie steel canisters from various companies and businesses that I don't use. The mask is a fun new variation on the decoder but I can pick up the free one or use my glasses from last year. I wonder if there will be noticeably less red boxes with SS now using the smartphone scrambles as well?

And I appreciate SS thinking outside of the box in terms of branded clothing, but an apron? A 'spooky' oven mitt would have been preferable. I don't wear aprons as I try to avoid wearing anything I'd be heartbroken about getting messy when doing messy things. I hear the 2011 Spook kit includes an ironing board cover with Brant's likeness printed on it! horror-ible indeed.

The clings could be fantastic but clings alone are not enough to get me to buy this year. :(

And something like this is cute I suppose, and probably the most substantial item in the kit, but these aren't for me
panzybox.jpg

Last edited:
And something like this is cute I suppose, and probably the most substantial item in the kit, but these aren't for me
panzybox.jpg

This has me wondering. Is Sideshow actually putting these in the kit as product they're planning to carry? Or is this like a manufacturer sponsoring the kit with retail product samples to garner interest for the doll line?

I am sure it's not a joke. Sadly. Because if we look at Av's posting, one of the items already came true. The mask. I am just going to use regular decoder glasses because I can't imagine spending 30 + shipping on the items we're getting. That's excellent that others are happy with it. Go you! :D But it's not for me. :(

I am still very excited about Spook. Getting to chat with all of you is going to be so much fun.

I don't care. People pay more to wander around a lame corn maze or to get "scared" by screaming brats and New Line Horror wannabes for an hour. Spending a measly $30 for a week's worth of Halloween fun is actually a discount IMHO. Count me in. :lol

I just looked through my history and cannot find page
It was $29.99
Reward points cannot be used and item will be sent out and card charged immediately
I clicked on a link to the Spooktacular kit and this info came up.
Image was not yet available.
I added to my cart --then the next page had my cart as empty

You can't use reward points on a bunch of promo stuff? I really never understood that, along with not being able to use RP on comic con exclusives (aside from in stock mort).

There's only one thing that really bugs me (well, two things, but they are related). It feels like they only included the doll to be able to keep the price at $29.99. I would gladly have skipped the doll and gotten a price of, say, $16.99 (or less :D). And I don't understand why we can't use reward points. C'mon, Sideshow! We're your loyal customers and fans. Throw us a bone here!

There's only one thing that really bugs me (well, two things, but they are related). It feels like they only included the doll to be able to keep the price at $29.99. I would gladly have skipped the doll and gotten a price of, say, $16.99 (or less :D). And I don't understand why we can't use reward points. C'mon, Sideshow! We're your loyal customers and fans. Throw us a bone here!

I agree with you completely. For me, that doll is not a good addition and had they left it out and the price dropped, I wouldn't be saying no. As I said before, I wont be spending 30+ on it because I want so many other things I can put my moola towards. I really hope you all enjoy it though. I still wanna see pictures, etc.

I will be getting this kit and I will be giving away the doll to someone at work or using it as a Christmas present.

Back