Official "The Dark Knight" SPOILER Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is also an Absolute Edition of THE LONG HALLOWEEN.

Another cool Batman story available in trade: THE CULT (with painted art by Bernie Wrightson)

You'll love it if you get it, TLH is the best Two Face story EVER written. The character is fleshed out amazingly well. And the art is stunning.

Found this from Andy B. elsewhere.

I just read a comment online stating that the 'really' gruesome version (such as in that spoiler pic) is how Dent sees himself when he looks in the mirror, but the actual scarring from the accident is not quite as dramatic. So in effect Dent has really gone off his rocker and the scarring is much more exaggerated in his own mind.

I have no idea how accurate that statement is... But it sounds pretty cool, and actually makes sense in conjunction with the notes we've heard about how Nolan shot the Dent/Two-Face scenes (shooting each scene twice--- one 'standard' take and one 'super insane' take for each line of dialogue, which will be edited in post in such a way that it portrays the mental collapse of the character). I can only imagine something similar to Gollum/Smeagol or even Harry Osbourne/Green Goblin... But I have a feeling well see something even more unique from Nolan in this case.

I like this concept, and certainly would make the unrealistic damage more plausible if it's perception and not reality. I actually really hope this is the case, I think it'll make Two-Face more interesting. I remember Two-Face in the 90s cartoon being angered by his disfigurement and it tormenting him, and in going further into TDK's Two-Face, I can't help feeling more and more that TLJ's Two-Face was a waste of the character, he was a crazy, wacked villain but there was no real duality with him, no conflict of Harvey and Two-Face. Seem's Nolan's Two-Face could turn out to be a very tragic character with some great, dramatic story around him.

I find the whole "Joker gets locked up in Arkham" too hard to believe. I'm thinking that if he did get locked up, he could easily bust out, again. Wouldn't "fit" in with the character they've created, because he has too much power.

I say he is killed and goes down with a laugh (to the disappoint of many fans).

If he lives, and isn't locked in Arkham, it will be interesting to see how or if they do the third installment.

The Joker getting locked up in Arkham isn't out of the realm of possibilities. In the comics he is locked up everytime in the comics...he busts out everytime as well. I'd love for him to be sitting in Arkham and laughing to himself.....let him finish out with "I'll stay in here......for now......" then a report of his escape in the third film.....open ended and in true Joker form.

let him finish out with "I'll stay in here......for now......" then a report of his escape in the third film.....open ended and in true Joker form.

I gotta admit, that would :rock

Yup that's my ideal scenario. After the reported breakout, maybe a shadowy figure laughing quietly in a dark alley at the end of the third film.

The Joker getting locked up in Arkham isn't out of the realm of possibilities. In the comics he is locked up everytime in the comics...he busts out everytime as well. I'd love for him to be sitting in Arkham and laughing to himself.....let him finish out with "I'll stay in here......for now......" then a report of his escape in the third film.....open ended and in true Joker form.

Yeah, that's how he did his thing. He would allow them to cuff him and take him in, only to find a way to make a break for it. Worked everytime. The man is almost an unstoppable force.

That also added to his insanity. Only a truly crazy person would happily allow himself to be taken to a high security mental institution knowing full well it was a temporary thing. No fuss, just acceptance because he knows he's on his way out anyway.

I think it is just Heath as the Joker. They have to do that from time to time to keep it under wraps.

Yeah, I think so. I've been looking at old set photos and vids tonight. It's fun to look back at them, after you've seen the prologue. It's all a little "clearer," now.

Wish I had a peon that could lint roll my suit coat

r

Yeah, I think so. I've been looking at old set photos and vids tonight. It's fun to look back at them, after you've seen the prologue. It's all a little "clearer," now.

Oh yeah dude, don't you know it.. I'm reading The Long Halloween right now and I think I may have pieced together the money burning scene now. It's directly from that comic. Just Falcone money instead of the Joker or whoever it is in the film. Batman and Harvey burned it.

And the Fake Batman with the noose... It's cool to see so much use of that classic comic story. :rock

This isn't my theory but I saw it over on the SHH board and thought it was well thought out and some of you might like to read it.

Originally Posted by Erok213
Ok guys - here's a new Two-Face scarring theory.

Apologies if this has been posted before - but if not, then try this on for size.

With the arrival of Trailer 3 and the combined shots of gasoline pouring onto the floor and Dent screaming "No!" with his face pressed into a puddle of gas - many have assumed that this was a glimpse of TDK's take on Dent's scarring.

And naturally, many of us assumed that ignited gasoline, and not acid, will be the new means by which Dent transforms into Two-Face.

However - a new quote from Total Film's interview with Aaron Eckhart reiterates that its ACID, not fire, that destroys Harvey's face.

Quote - “Its very cynical,” says Eckhart. “But he’s had acid poured on his face!”

Notice the operative word - POURED.

With this new info, I now believe that the "No!" scene in the trailer IS the scarring scene. But it's been manipulated to purposely mislead us.

Allow me to explain.

We know from the leaked action figure pics, concept art, and the few frames from the Trailer that show Two-face with a pistol, that TDK version of Two-Face is scarred on the left side of his face - just like the comic book version.

And in the trailer, it appears that the LEFT side of Dent's face is held to the gasoline covered floor. But I think that the image has been flipped horizontally, like a mirror image - and that in actuality, it's the RIGHT side of Dent's face pressed to the floor.

And here's the proof I'm basing my theory on --

Notice that in the below still frame from the trailer - Eckhart has two moles on the side of face that is turned upward.

Now, the way the image is presented - it appears that the moles are on the Right side of Harvey's face and that the Left side of his face is in the gas.

But if you look at this still frame from "Thank You for Smoking" you can clearly make out the same two moles on the LEFT side of Eckhart's face.

Notice as well that Eckhart parts his hair on the Left in this picture - just like he does in numerous stills as Harvey Dent from TDK. Further proof that the two moles on his face are in fact on the LEFT side.

And evidence that the scene in the trailer has most likely been manipulated and that, in actuality, it is the RIGHT side of Den'ts face that is pressed in the gas.

So what does this mean? Why would Nolan want to mislead us? And how is Dent really scarred?

Well, combined with Eckhart's POURED statement - I theorize that Dent IS still scarred in the gas scene. Here's how:

Thugs (Maroni's mob enforcers?) have Dent's face pressed to the floor. The Right side of his face.

They threaten to ignite the gas - killing Dent. But, instead of torching Dent, someone (most likely Maroni) decides to hurt him with something that will "leave an impression" and send a message.

So they POUR acid on the Left side of Dent's face. The half of his face that is facing up. This could be Nolan's way to plausibly explain how half of his face is scarred in a fairly symetrical fasion.

And it would jive with Eckhart's discription of Acid being poured, not thrown.

But ... it's just a theory.

Thoughts?

And

this is what erok is basically saying the shot will really look like

what we saw in the trailer

image flipped to the mirror image

image shown with dents face on floor and acid able to be poured onto the left side of his face

EDIT: Darn, the pics won't link. Here is the page with them on it:
https://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=296308&page=368

Very interesting... and totally works with the burn image we saw before. And it lends itself to better explain why their is no splatter on the other side of the face. Nice find.

Ya, something has to happen storywise to explain how clean the transition is. I'd like to think Nolan wouldn't cheese out by just saying well the burns happened to deform his skin with such a clean transition, plus like I said before, burns like that should kill a man but I know nothing about acid so maybe that's enough to damage the body without triggering poisonous chemicals within that can kill you.

I watched a special on the history channel last week on acid (really because I hoped they would talk about some of the damage it can do to people) and there is some acid that will burn to the bone within minutes if not stopped with the proper chemicals. So I would think that amount of damage is possible. Whether he could survive or not is debateable though.

Back