Official "The Dark Knight" SPOILER Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And here...

I took the studio pics from the Pic thread, and had some fun. Like the Joker one more...Bats was a bit of a rush job. I didnt know what to do with him, so I just did what I did....eh.

Jokerposter.jpg

Batposer.jpg

cuz its never going to be noticed. I like when people talk about my work...good or bad. Tis a habbit. :eek:

I think TDK can be topped, it's great, but it's certainly not the pinnacle of what a movie like this could be. The best elements of Begins were absent in TDK and likewise, the best of TDK was absent in Begins. Make the third film combine the best elements of the first 2 films and you'll have something really special.
Just curious, what would they be? TDK took the best elements of BEGINS an amplified them and removed any of the minor mistakes from BEGINS (sketchy dialogue, one liners) ... improved on action scenes ten fold, had even better more dramatic performances, dialogue improved to the 1000th degree ... what exactly did BEGINS do better? Nothing. The best moment in BEGINS doesn't compare to anything in this film.

BEGINS was praised for how serious and "un-comic booky" it was in 2005. BEGINS every once and awhile picked its head up for the "superhero genre" pond to be something transcendant and different. Which is why it was so critically praised.

The Dark Knight straight runs away from the superhero genre pond, and sprints like a prime Deion Sanders in the opposite direction. TDK makes BEGINS look comic booky ... haha, and damn if BEGINS wasn't intense and very un-like all previous cartoony versions of Batman and other superhero movies. This is by far and away the best and most intelligent film based on a superhero concept. It might be topped by the Watchmen if that movie is delivered right and hits the right note of the source material. But even then, Batman is a more universally known mythos and the performances from superior actors is what helped pushed this movie even further along its path towards greatness.

The Dark Knight was almost flawless, and that's saying something. So far this is by far and away the tip of the iceberg for comic book styled films. So much so that I wouldn't even consider it a comic book movie in the normal sense of the word. I can't believe a fan like you and what you seem to be, has TDK so underrated. TDK from it's script alone, given its relevancy to the times, its moral issues, and the way it deals with strong metaphorical themes to the post 9/11 world we live ... TDK is as good or better than ANY Batman story FROM THE SOURCE MATERIAL.

That's how good of a story it is, and then you throw in the performances from extremely talented actors who took things seriously ... and you have a cinematic MASTERPIECE.

My opinion, but I find it hard to swallow that one could say something like this. No personal put downs involved, but I'd definetely be game to debate you on this. TDK is about as special as you can get, as critics have let everyone know thus far. TDK is in another stratosphere compared to Batman Begins. And that's saying something considering BEGINS was in the elite class up until TDK dropped on the masses. You'd be hard pressed to have another Batman film that tops this. Too intelligent, too well written, too "of it's time" in terms of relevance, and performances out of this world.

Chris nolan doesn't make comic book films to make them. He doesn't make them off characters, images, or cool action scenes. He starts with themes and ideas, and the ones presented in this film are about as epic and relevant as they come. That's why it was so un-settling to the audience who didn't expect it's intelligence. It's not just the violence, disturbing look and actions to the characters. It's the frightening themes and reality to it all. Quite frankly I hope Nolan walks away ... it would be near impossible to top this film from a Batman perspective.

Thanks for helping out man, I appreciate it. Man, TDK suit is so bad ass. Most intimidating live action bat-suit IMO. Are you getting the HT TDK suit figure, CelticP?

what exactly did BEGINS do better? Nothing. The best moment in BEGINS doesn't compare to anything in this film.

To me, TDK upped things from Begins in the intensity of sequences in music and filming and really delivered an exhiliarting film to watch. However, I find it lacked, and what I liked most about Begins, strong human story elements. The pacing was so balls to the wall in TDK, there was no time for the human story. I was expecting deeper scenes and moments of Bruce coping with everything. It delivered enough to know what was going on with him, but I thought there was a great potential to delve into the struggles of Bruce Wayne and Batman, but in telling Harvey Dent's story as well, Bruce was a bit ignored. I think if a third film keeps sequences at TDK intensity but brings in more of the humanity of Begins, that'll be a recipe for one of the most well done films in all genres.

To me, TDK upped things from Begins in the intensity of sequences in music and filming and really delivered an exhiliarting film to watch. However, I find it lacked, and what I liked most about Begins, strong human story elements. The pacing was so balls to the wall in TDK, there was no time for the human story. I was expecting deeper scenes and moments of Bruce coping with everything. It delivered enough to know what was going on with him, but I thought there was a great potential to delve into the struggles of Bruce Wayne and Batman, but in telling Harvey Dent's story as well, Bruce was a bit ignored. I think if a third film keeps sequences at TDK intensity but brings in more of the humanity of Begins, that'll be a recipe for one of the most well done films in all genres.
Fiirst of all I'd like to thank you for the intelligent response, with well thought out ideas. Don't see that too much on message boards now.

Anyway ... onto the discussion

But that's comparing apples and oranges. I totally get what you're saying. But, BEGINS is a character piece and Christian Bale carries that film. This was a story about a city, and it being caught between a war of good and evil, with the protagonist and antogonist fighting for the rights to the citizens soul and minds, and their respective ideologies as the weapons.

I thought TDK was very emotional though, even though it did move briskly (which it had to considering it pushes 3 hours). The story's core and heart was with the story of Harvey Dent. He was the one with the ultimate tragedy character arc. Bruce Wayne had some very emotional and tender scenes on his own though as well. I loved how after Rachel dies, Alfred approaches Bruce Wayne and literally beat for beat repeats the lines he did to Bruce that he did when Bruce was a child right after his parents died. And with Rachel's death, we get a story parralel to BEGINS when his parents died and how he felt it was fis fault. Bruce Wayne definetely was not ignored in this film, IMO Bale's performance was right up there with Heath, Eckhart, and Oldman. He's getting slept on because he was subtle with things. But he was very much there in spades. It takes repeat viewings to get the full flavor of it ... but I find it depressing people are sleeping on his performance. He was much more subtle this time around, and because he doesn't have a loud character arc like Harvey Dent, or a colorful character like the Joker, he's acting that isn't screaming "Hey look at me, I'm acting" ... which ultimately is the point. I thought for balancing so much story wise, Bruce was very well played in this film. But MaulFan you had to know going in he'd be giving up alot of screen time considering they were introducing the Joker as this character that moves the plot along, and it had been talked about for sometime that Harvey was the heart of the movie.

But I could see where you thought there wasn't enough focus time on Bruce. But that wasn't the issue I had with what you said. This movie is BY far a superior cinematic piece of art compared to Batman Begins. And when you said it isn't the pinnacle, or there is alot better they can do then this film. Totally with out a shadow of a doubt ... false. This film is head, shoulders, and toes above it's peers. And it will be hard for a perfect storm to come together to equal or surpass this film. Especially a future Bat-film to outdue this in terms of story, characterization, cinematography, action set pieces, performances etc. VERY difficult. But as of right now, this film is easily the cream of the crop. EASILY.

With that said, maybe if Nolan does decide to do a 3rd one ... I would be done for the film to settle back down to Bruce's perspective. Which I think is planned anyway given the ending, and the fact that Nolan / Goyer said the third and final film in their series was supposed to be about Batman's "redemption" ... and even if it gets made and all the pieces align. I bet it will hover around BEGINS quality. Which s very good, but not sheer greatness the way The Dark Knight is, that film is the ultimate in so many terms. With the two classic iconic characters, themes, etc. You'd be hard pressed to top this film. No where to go but downhill, but one would have to pray they make it just good enough to match BEGINS. But The Dark Knight was a creative storm of epic perportions. Everything hit the right flavor and stride. It won't be beat for sometime, unless Watchmen which doesn't have the commercial appeal of Batman, hits the exact mark that the graphic novel does. But we'll see if they can get a translation to film that matches.

I think you're missing what I'm getting at. Overall, I found TDK a better experience than Begins and overall a step up.

I think it has raised the bar for what a comic film can be, but I don't think it's peaked what a comic film can be, and I think if done right, the third act will show us a new bar. To me, TDK isn't the pinnacle for lacking the human story, I know that wasn't it's goal, I think it hits the mark dead on for what it was intended to be, but I think strong human story elements like Begins had are an important ingredient in making a truly great piece of film. I'm coming at this from the angle that it seems like some people feel TDK is one of the greatest films of any genre out there, and to me, it is quite at that point. Take the well handled action and good vs. evil of TDK and blend it with a strong, compelling story and then you'll have a film that delivers in every way you could think of.

I'm very behind the potential for a third Nolan film because in the first 2, he's successfully done all the elements of a great all around movie, unfortunately he's split them up between two movies. I'm confident if he goes back to focusing on Batman, which the third act should, and brings the humanity of Begins back, and continues the momentum of TDK, people will be blown away and saying things like "that's how you top TDK."

And I'm saying thats great theoretically, but given the fact that the most threatning villain and face of pure evil has been used up and unfortunately said actor isn't with us to repeat the role ... you're going to have a hard time coming up with a threat that could give the character of Batman such problems in a story both physically and mentally. And what I'm saying is in order to make a GREAT movie like The Dark Knight, you have to have great underlying meanings, relevance, and importance. And it doesn't get anymore epic, personal, and intelligent than the themes presented in The Dark Knight. I'd love for a film to be better than The Dark Knight. But the best cards have been used. Meaning, you don't have the biggest guns to get a reaction of people the way The Dark Knight did. And Hoodini would have a hard time pulling off cinematic magic to outdue what The Dark Knight did ... that's how GREAT a film it is.

Well, that's where it stands, you and everyone else the feels so is welcome to feel TDK is an unsurpassable mark in cinema.

I think it's set some precedents, but I don't think it's impossible to better it, with the right creativity and effort, it can be done. Joker is a great villain and the Joker Heath created is a wonderful character, but any villain, played right and written right, can be just as powerful. That said, it means that a third act in this series will take a great deal of time and effort if they are to continue the momentum they've started. I'd like to see part 3 sometime around 2012. It took 2005-2008 for TDK to be done, I'll give this one 4 years, extra time for the writing team.

I didn't say in cinema, but in terms of Batman movies, and the superhero genre ... yea thats about it. Like I said the only thing that can compete with TDK is Watchmen. But at the same time Watchmen was made with the purpose to be controversial and to break the stereotype of superheroes.

I did Harvey Dent....not as awesome. Just not enough pics of Harv on the net...and ONE pic of Two Face, but at a really poor angle.

Harvposter.jpg

but any villain, played right and written right, can be just as powerful.
C'mon now ... haha ... don't go overboard. You're talking about the Joker. Joker / Darth Vader / Hannibal Lecter. It doesn't get more powerful and threatning than that. Not only that, they're saying this Joker is one of the best on screen cinematic villains of all-time, and dude might even get an Oscar for his performance. You're not going to get a villain, or even a cast of villains to compete with all thigns the Joker represents.

I wonder how people will see this movie 10 and 50 years from now.

Probably the same as they do Burton's Batman. With time, people's interests change, what's appealing in a movie can change. I think the core stuff will always appeal, drama and such, but this film may look like garbage to people compared to how movies are done in the future. Hell in 20 years every movie might be 3D and that'll become such a gimmick people lose interest in 2D pieces, hard to say. Like Burton's Batmans, I think these will always hold a nostalgic appeal to fans. I know I'll always treaure them, even if they lose appeal to certain sensibilities, like Burton's have for me, there will always be a fond attachment to them.

Yeah I was ticked of no official pics of Harvey. Maybe cause his face was mostly CGI, and they did it late in the game. Only pics I got are of concept maquettes they created before filming, which I got in the "Art of The Dark Knight" book.

C'mon now ... haha ... don't go overboard. You're talking about the Joker. Joker / Darth Vader / Hannibal Lecter. It doesn't get more powerful and threatning than that. Not only that, they're saying this Joker is one of the best on screen cinematic villains of all-time, and dude might even get an Oscar for his performance. You're not going to get a villain, or even a cast of villains to compete with all thigns the Joker represents.

If done right, he could probably be even topped. You've named 3 great villains in cinema history, which shows that there is no single villain above them all. Get the right mix of how the character is written and the performance of the actor, and you can get amazing results. Heath's performance and the writer's scripting created a great rendition of the Joker, but the wrong mix could have sucked badly. The Joker is a great villain in the world of fictional villains, but if handled poorly all of his impact can be lost. Heath gave a great performance, but it doesn't mean another actor couldn't take on another role and rival him.

Probably the same as they do Burton's Batman. With time, people's interests change, what's appealing in a movie can change. I think the core stuff will always appeal, drama and such, but this film may look like garbage to people compared to how movies are done in the future. Hell in 20 years every movie might be 3D and that'll become such a gimmick people lose interest in 2D pieces, hard to say. Like Burton's Batmans, I think these will always hold a nostalgic appeal to fans. I know I'll always treaure them, even if they lose appeal to certain sensibilities, like Burton's have for me, there will always be a fond attachment to them.

Not really. It may just be the fact that the Burton films were garbage and didn't follow any source material...and that he took too many liberties with it.

Give us Batman 3 in 2011.

Back