QMX Star Trek General discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say this is a pretty mellow conversation compared to other threads on this forum :lol One said he was passing and a few others prefer the other sculpt. I doubt this one will be the most popular of the line, but if you love that new revised hs congrats. I'm still buying Sulu to complete the crew, but much prefer the other sculpt.

I would say this is a pretty mellow conversation compared to other threads on this forum :lol One said he was passing and a few others prefer the other sculpt. I doubt this one will be the most popular of the line, but if you love that new revised hs congrats. I'm still buying Sulu to complete the crew, but much prefer the other sculpt.

Based upon the initial glimpses I actually preferred the look of the other headsculpt but I am none-the-less sure that I will be happy either way.

To be fair, although really good, none of the QMX Star Trek sculpts have been home runs.
Kirk and Khan are the best, IMHO, but both Spock and McCoy are a bit off, with slightly exaggerated features.
I'm still waiting on Scotty and Sulu, but from all the pics I've seen, they're about at the same level as the others.

If there was a change to the sculpt, and this is not photo distortion, then it makes no sense to take a really good sculpt and change it. I was really happy with the last version we saw. I’m hoping these photo’s are an anomaly.

Nanjin has access to all things QMX Star Trek, that looks like evil Sulu without the scar. I think the head he showed us first is the one we will get, and if not I'm cool with that too. NEXT...

This is a great theory! Just a few nights ago Nanjin was posting on his FB about his love of Mirror Sulu and how Mirror Sulu is one of his favorite characters...I feel that is no coincidence. Thinking back to Mirror Mirror that was definitely the look that Sulu held in most of his scenes minus the scar of course. The only flaw in the theory is that Mirror Sulu would have a completely different hairstyle...but maybe that has not been developed yet and Nanjin was trying the Mirror headsculpt with the regular hair sculpt...

This would be the hairstyle needed for an accurate Mirror Sulu.
image.jpeg

If the mirror Sulu was the only Sulu being made, then he wouldn’t fit in with the other figures already produced. I certainly hope a regular Sulu is on tap.

I do not see a scenario where a regular Sulu is not released short of QMX going out of business...

I think Sulu will go up for order within two or three weeks. It looks like he’s going to be what he’s going to be, I would still advise getting Sulu as all of these figures go through the roof on the secondary market.

And of course, someone out there eventually is going to do alternate head sculpts for all of these figures, better to have the basic uniform, body and accessories ready to go (because you never hear any talk of that those are all not perfect).

Just my thoughts ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The smile may be different but I think if it had been shown first most would have been perfectly happy with it. Call me a sucker but I am going to trust in Nanjin's vision on this line and trust that he knows what he is doing and it will look great in hand. Everyone who is on this thread and without a Spock, Kirk, or Scotty should just buy this and support the line and their own sanity down the road. Folks who are saying "well I missed Kirk and Spock" so no point buying Sulu are really going to feel the pain when the inevitable Kirk and Spock re-releases happen, they look awesome on the shelf, and folks who want Sulu will have to go without or pay what EBay scalpers are asking for Kirk and Spock right now for Sulu. Stop the bleeding now and just buy the figures that you can knowing that eventually you will have a complete bridge crew.

I think Sulu will go up for order within two or three weeks. It looks like he’s going to be what he’s going to be, I would still advise getting Sulu as all of these figures go through the roof on the secondary market.

And of course, someone out there eventually is going to do alternate head sculpts for all of these figures, better to have the basic uniform, body and accessories ready to go (because you never hear any talk of that those are all not perfect).

Just my thoughts ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sulu's been up for order for a couple months now.

If the new Sulu script is for the Mirror Sulu
then it makes sense.

I hope the lips looks ok in Hand but the new
Head does look different especially at the lips area

I'll most-likely get Sulu, but damn man, why the heck don't they sell the same version we see in the promotional materials on the QMx website? That irks the hell out of me. If that production version looks like what I'm seeing here, and it's not just some optical illusion because of bad lighting --- I'm not wowed. That odd smirk bugs me. Hey QMx, can you sell me one with the much better prototype head sculpt, please?

That production Sulu is ok, but why didn't they just use the superior-looking prototype sculpt that they show on their QMx website promotional materials? I just don't get it. I mean, there is this great-looking spot-on Sulu head sculpt in existence, correct? That's not just some 3D-rendered head they use on the website... correct? I mean I don't know, so I'm asking. If the head sculpt already exists, then why aren't they just replicating THAT head sculpt for the final piece? Can somebody in the business tell me why they make a great prototype, then scrap it to make yet another -- seemingly from what I've seen --- less accurate head sculpt? Maybe I am just looking at bad photos, and in-hand the new sculpt actually does look better? I'm baffled how things go around the 6th-scale world.
My thoughts too.

Glad to see I'm not the only one perplexed by this. I was really happy before to see another great sculpt on the level of Kirk and Khan, but now I'm just not sure anymore. :(

It looks like they were going for something like this, but didn't really capture it.

View attachment 451400

He has fairly full lips...

Tough crowd

Back