RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Rate The Last Movie You Watched.

Shame: ?/10

Starring everyone's favourite man's man, Michael Fassbender. I'm really not sure how to rate this one. On the one hand, it was a very powerful, insightful movie. It was shot beautifully with magnificent photgraphy and lingering scenes of real character moments, and brilliant performances all around. On the other, it was such a heavy topic which was dealt with such brutal honesty that it made it a difficult movie to watch. And it also showed way too much of Michael's fassbender :horror. Although I can see that as being a plus for some people!

And just from the nature of the movie, I could tell that there would be a death (not so)--or in this case, a suicide attempt--by the time the movie ended. It also didn't end as bleakly as I thought it might (like death). You could see that he had hit bottom and was slowly going to start climbing up.

Well, okay, Shame really is about an 8/10 for me. However, it is a difficult film to watch, seeing how messed up the characters are. I don't think I'd watch it again. But it is a very strong, well made, beautifully photographed, brilliantly acted drama.

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES - 9.5/10

tumblr_meje81P4Ua1r6it1fo1_500.jpg

V/H/S - 7/10

Weird enough to keep it from being just another played out found footage movie.

Iron Man: 7.5/10 (not as fresh as it once was of course, but still great)
Justice League Doom: 7.5/10 (another extremely solid entry in the ranks of DC's animated films)

The Dark Knight Rises - 9/10

I know I'm in the minority but for me its my favorite of the three. If Batman's story was going to have an "ending" this is probably the best one. The overall story with Nolan's Batman is not about vengeance but redemption and in Rises he is finally redeemed. I still think the title is weak, but the concept of Bruce finally overcoming his demons (climbing out of the hole) is fairly well done.

That said I wish Catwoman was developed a bit more. At best she's no more than a catalyst character. She gets things moving; introdues the good guy to the bad guy thus instigating the major conflict, but it ends there. Her spark is hard to see once the fire starts bruning. That's not abad thing but assuing she's Bruce's new love interest and a major focus in his post-Batman life we know so very little about her.

Warhammer 40000: Ultramarines the movie - 3/10 (a generous 3 couse I am a fanboy, it would probably score less than that, for someone who doesn't give a rat's ass about 40k)

Oh god, that was poor. I am a fanatic of the 40k setting, but even I was able take very little joy in watching this. It's really disappointing that after all those years of dreaming about a 40k film, all those endless discussions on the forums, all those fanfilm projects that never got to see the light of day, fans of the setting were finally treated to this. The story is poor, the dialogue stillted, and the graphics and animation quality is just laughable (seriously, recently I saw the original Lego Bionicle animations, from like 1998, and it didn't look much worse than this). It's even more suprising that the movie was written by Dan Abnett, the most popular 40k writer, whose novels I love, and who for many years, has been constantly proving that licenced, tie-in fiction, doesn't necessarily have to be total ****. There is nothing of his talent and style in the story.

The are only two good things about this movie. The first is a suprisingly impressive cast of veterans. Especially the older ones, fit perfectly with the 40k setting, and their talents could have been used to make something really great. The second is the atmosphere. Despite the ****ty animation, the movie does benefit from a fraction of 40K art design, and I guess it gives it some semblence of gothic ambience.

The Dark Knight Rises - 8,5/10

Nolan's most flawed and uneven film. TDKR takes Nolan's best and worst impulses and enchances them. Still, despite it's many imperfections, its a great superhero film. Impressive with its scope and theatricality, a proper, moving conclusion to Wayne story, and a suitably epic epitaph for a Supehero with such an enourmous popcultural baggage. Plus an epic story (perhaps a bit too epic and broad for its own good), merging many different characters and themes from the comics into one tale. And of course Bane. Also Hathaway's ass.

Last edited:
Back