Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dr. Z...
Thanks for your noble attempt in helping me out with the crest and hinges. I truly appreciate your efforts.

Angel..
You came through as I suspected you would. I don't know if we have a Lowes here in the city, do you think a Home Depot would carry such tiny hardware?

Ironman...
Here is a link to the figure with the torch accessory. It is listed as sold out on the Sideshow site, maybe you can pick it up on E-bay or another retailor. Yeah I hope sombody some day would make my favorite comedy duo!!! Hint Hint Sideshow.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=3201

Thanks for everyone's input, help, and kind words!!

Last edited:
JUNGLE, The hinges were only a couple dollars at LOWES. If they don't have them at your local HOME DEPOT, let me know (and let me know soon) . I'll buy them and mail them to you. How thick is the wood you bought for that coffin? 1/4"?

How many hinges do you require for the coffin?

You are too kind Angel, I'm going to look for the hinges today as well as picking up more balsa. Half the fun is the hunt for proper materials! Sometimes you find things that will be useful down the line for other projects! Having said that, if I strike out I'd appreciate your help. I'll let you know.

I think I will be getting three hinges. The wood is in many different thicknesses. The part where the hinges will attach is 1/2" x 1/4". The hinges have to be really small. Wish me luck!

How is progress going on that wagon of yours? I just can't wait to see it complete!!!!

Last edited:
Jungle, This is going to be one of my up and coming projects. (This is not my work pictured.) I'm currently shopping for a heat gun. This used to be a Thunderbolt horse from the Johnny West collection. It was modified by turning the head and neck into a different position by using a heat gun, and then repainted. All this was done by using the heat gun to warm and melt the plastic, and by using apoxy to re-sculpt Thunderbolt. I think this looks great and will add variety amongst the Thunderbolt horses. I can't wait to see some apes on these modified horses. Cool!

Last edited:
jungle jom said:
You are too kind Angel, I'm going to look for the hinges today as well as picking up more balsa. Half the fun is the hunt for proper materials! Sometimes you find things that will be useful down the line for other projects!Having said that, if I strike out I'd appreciate your help. I'll let you know.

I think I will be getting three hinges. The wood is in many different thicknesses. The part where the hinges will attach is 1/2" x 1/4". The hinges have to be really small. Wish me luck!

How is progress going on that wagon of yours? I just can't wait to see it complete!!!!

Progress has stopped until Sunday for the wagon. My just computer died too. Bummer. I'm at my sisters home writing this just to stay in touch.

Wow Angel that horse looks great. If the one you are making turns out as good it will indeed be a great addition to the collection. Its nice to ad variety like you did with the jaw agape gorillas!

Sorry about your computer... I hope you didn't loose anything important. Maybe you needed to upgrade anyway!

jungle jom said:
Wow Angel that horse looks great. If the one you are making turns out as good it will indeed be a great addition to the collection. Its nice to ad variety like you did with the jaw agape gorillas!

That's exactly right JUNGLE! Different horses and different gorillas is an awesome combination to me!

I prefer Thunderbolt myself compared to all the other horses out there. I could just buy other horses, but I simply like Thunderbolt the best. ~Angel~ :angelsmil

Angel... I know you won't be reading this for a while, not until your computer is up and running, but I found some hinges. I won't need your aid in getting them. Thanks for your kind offer, you're the greatest!

I also, in my travels, have come across some handles (Door knocker thingies) to hang from the sides of the casket. They are going to look great. If you get the details right it really sells things in the 1/6 scale!

So far this project is not frought with the problems I had with the plastic on that poster. What a chore that was!!!

Hey JJ,

I love the casket! Its coming along very nice! Happy belated 4th all, I hope everyone had a good time. I'll be in and out all week. I'm also in for only 1:6 POTA items. If SS does go outside the small box now, this late in the game they're bound to ruin any hopes at reviving this line, for sure.

Just an update on my little project. Things are still going smoothly...

Too smoothly! I expect disaster any moment now. I expected the hinges to be a problem, but it was smooth sailing!

You can see the uninstalled sides of the coffin in the second shot below. I just love that hardware on the sides!!!!

Very Cool JJ, are you going to line the insides and distress the coffin? Can you spare the measurements? I would love to try and build something like this this summer. Living in a city sure has some disadvantages; space. I have no room for power tools. A good carpenter is a great friend to have and an awesome skill to know.

I'm in the same boat as you Sticks no room for power tools, no room for that subway dio someone keeps asking me to make... Angel!!

Here is a shot of the casket next to a ruler. The 3", 4", 3" are for the very top of the lid, the beveled edge is one inch all the way around the lid.

Hope this helps. Gotta run. Ask if you have any more questions!

Last edited:
jungle jom said:
Just an update on my little project. Things are still going smoothly...

Too smoothly! I expect disaster any moment now. I expected the hinges to be a problem, but it was smooth sailing!

You can see the uninstalled sides of the coffin in the second shot below. I just love that hardware on the sides!!!!

Looking good JJ! The hardware is really going to set it all off. Excellent job buddy!

So aside from lining the casket, what else needs doing on this project? Paint? Stain? Some kind of crest you’ve been talking about?

I’ve been out at flea markets and antique shops today. I saw some female mannequins that I can get for $95. I’m toying with the idea of getting one and using it from the waist up. I’m considering using apoxy (or casting plaster) and building up the mannequin in many layers of plaster (or apoxy) so it looks like lady liberty in a big pile of rubble.

Nice easy way to show the measurements, great.

-Angel, I was at a costume shop not too long ago and for the 4th of July they had a cardboard cut out of Lady Liberty that was only the waist up and was three feet high. It was a little bent so I figured I would go back and get one in better condition but when I went back they were all gone. :monkey2

Now I need to find out what company made it. I like the idea of just handing it above a shelve and have my apes hanging out under it. If I find that info I'll be sure to post it here for everyone.

Sticks...

Sorry to be so abrupt with my last post to you, I was running late for a dinner date with another couple. Glad the shot with the ruler was of help to you. Hope you decide to jump in and make your Drac a box. Its a fun and interesting project. Using the Balsa eliminates the need for any tools other than a razor blade, exacto knife, and coping saw!

Hope you track down your Statue cut out!!

Angel...

Yeah, I've got to line it. A question to you and the other apes.

What color should the lining be? Red or White? In "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein" it appears to be white. I have heard that red photographs white in Black and White, maybe Sticks can answer this.

How do I get that crinkely look to the lining? HELP!

Paint or Stain? How well does Balsa accept stain?

I've decided on the Crest. The 1st pic below is a shot of a reproduction of the ring worn by Bela in "A&C Meet F" and the 2nd is a color patch.

Last edited:
Oh... I forgot...

ANGEL!!

A female mannequin??

You are just nuts, but in a good way! Your wife must be a saint!

jungle jom said:
Sticks...

Sorry to be so abrupt with my last post to you, I was running late for a dinner date with another couple. Glad the shot with the ruler was of help to you. Hope you decide to jump in and make your Drac a box. Its a fun and interesting project. Using the Balsa eliminates the need for any tools other than a razor blade, exacto knife, and coping saw!

Hope you track down your Statue cut out!!

Angel...

Yeah, I've got to line it. A question to you and the other apes.

What color should the lining be? Red or White? In "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein" it is white. I have heard that red photographs white in Black and White, maybe Sticks can answer this.

How do I get that crinkely look to the lining? HELP!

Paint or Stain? How well does Balsa accept stain?

I've decided on the Crest. The 1st pic below is a shot of a reproduction of the ring worn by Bela in "A&C Meet F" and the 2nd is a color patch.

So are you going to paint the crest on the coffin or are you going to make a decal of the 2nd picture?

I spoke to my wife about that "crinkly" look of the fabric inside the coffin. She seems to think that the fabric is gathered and sewn with some batting behind it. I guess you'll have to research that one...

By the way, considering Dracula is wearing black and white; I'm thinking the satin material should be blood red... good luck on your decision. I love the color combination of black, white and red.

Decal??

Decal???

How would I go about making a Decal??

The last I heard of decals was with my plastic models from my childhood and they were made to be put on plastic.

Could you use them on wood? Any details would be helpful.

Fabric? Gathering? Sewn? Batting? YOUR words, not mine.
Angel, are you joining the sewing circle with me and Kfog?

Back