Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, Thank you, thank you... Proto

I've always been curious about what was on display there honoring the Apes! It is really quite an impressive display. Was it prepared by the folks at Apemania? It looks like their work.

I really like the Heston likeness although I think they got his hair wrong. An interesting choice dressing him in a tattered ANSA suit. I kind of like it!

Thanks for the tight shot of the leash. I may try to make one in the future.

You really did a great job of photographing the display seeing that it was all behind glass. You managed to eliminate most of the reflections.

Can you tell us what else is on display? Star Trek, Terminator, Forbidden Planet, or whatever other film or television items?

Thanks again for the great shots, Proto!!!!!!

The Science Fiction Museum is an awesome place... I've been there four times and I still don't think I've soaked it all in. I can't think of any sci-fi property they don't have props for. (Actually... come to think of it, I didn't see any Serenity or Firefly props. Hmmm? :confused:) I was surprised to see as much Star Wars as I did. They even have the original Death Star there on display. The museum has also acquired the original Ben Kenobi robe, Luke's severed hand and lightsaber and a Rebel orange flight suit... along with an assortment of Cantina creatures.

What else is there on display? Geez where to start... props from both the Star Trek TV series and movies (Tribbles, costumes including that of the Gorn), Silent Running, Logan's Run, Flash Gordon (1980), The Matrix, Alien, Aliens (the Queen Alien), Forbidden Planet, Lost in Space (including a set of prototype 12" action figures of the crew), Battlestar Galactica (1979), Buck Rodgers (1980), Dune (a crumbling stillsuit and spice harvester) and Blade Runner (a full scale Spinnner as well as some costumes). I know I'm forgetting tons... there is SOOOO much to see. Any sci-fi fan in the Seattle, Washington area... this stop is a MUST!!! Here's a small taste of what they have displayed:

copyofimg0593hh6.jpg
copyofimg0591ck9.jpg

img0597ua8.jpg

The reason I don't have that many pictures because... technically... the museum doesn't exactly allow pictures to be taken... ooops! So the shots of all of the Ape props took alittle "Gorilla photography". :monkey3:monkey3:monkey3

Other hightlights:
There was also a fun display of the layout of the sound stage of the original Star Trek series. Wanna know how close the Bridge set was to the Transporter room? And where was sick bay in relation to the crew quarters? You can find the answers you seek here.

There is an impressive "Wall of Arms" that has weapon ranging from Buck Rodger-type rayguns from the 40's to the sound gun from Dune.

There is an interactive exhibit where you watch spaceships from a whole range of sci-fi properties (from the Mothership from Close Encounters to the Freight ship from Futurama) dock at space station. It's a huge viewing screen where you watch this from... the ships are all rendered in CGI and if you are there long enough (like me :monkey3) you see that it's on a long loop. Also there are three or four stations at this exhibit each with it's own viewing screen to access video and specs of all of the visiting ships. My kids had a blast at this station.

And you're right JJ, the two ape mannequins were indeed prepared by the folks at Apemania (I don't know about Taylor) and they both part of past Profiles in History auctions. In fact, many of the museum's pieces were acquire through Profiles in History... I tend to watch those auctions because they always have a good dose of Planet of the Apes items. The Zaius coat is one of only two known to exist. The two ape heads are Apemania's deluxe editions can be purchase at their site. The Zaius hands were, I believe, cast from Booth Coleman's hands. :D

Last edited:
Just fantastic, Proto!

Thanks sooo much for your mini tour. It makes me wish I could visit the place myself. Alas, I'm on the wrong coast!

The fact that you are not allowed to take photos; makes the pictures you took covertly even that more impressive great shots.

I do have one question. There seem to be letters on Heston's left shoulder. Is it a reflection or some kind of insignia?

Just fantastic, Proto!

Thanks sooo much for your mini tour. It makes me wish I could visit the place myself. Alas, I'm on the wrong coast!

The fact that you are not allowed to take photos; makes the pictures you took covertly even that more impressive great shots.

I do have one question. There seem to be letters on Heston's left shoulder. Is it a reflection or some kind of insignia?

I was at that Apes display for a LONG time (just ask my wife and kids :D). After awhile you can pick out the security guards fairly quickly. :monkey3:monkey3:monkey3

And yes, that's the reflection of some lighted letters from an exhibit at the museum on the Taylor picture.

The Taylor costume intrigues me. I stared at it for a while. The name plate has been removed, as you can see. The ANSA patch appears to be a replica that was added later for the display... it looks too clean and newly sewn to be authentic. But I wonder why the sleeves were removed? Was it for another shoot? Recycling costumes is commonplace in Hollywood. In fact one of the Ape-O-Naut suits is known to have been used in the cantina scene in Star Wars. And since the name plate and the original ANSA patch have both been removed as well, this seems like a likely answer. It's interesting to think what of "life" this costume has had since 1967. :monkey3:monkey3:monkey3

Last edited:
One possibility for the ANSA space suit is that it could have been one of the ones used as the astronauts were looking through through what was left of their clothes after the human savages tore them up

One possibility for the ANSA space suit is that it could have been one of the ones used as the astronauts were looking through what was left of their clothes after the human savages tore them up... Oh nuts, Jungle already said that... :rotfl

That certainly is one possibility that I didn't think of. I guess I just linked the removal of the name plate, ANSA patch and BOTH sleeves for a singular purpose... to be used in another filmed project. Heck, for all I know maybe one of the sleeves was damaged beyond repair and both sleeves were removed so they would match. At this point it's anyone's guess... :monkey3:monkey3:monkey3

Speaking of that, I just saw the Star Wars Holiday Special the other day and in the Bea Arthur Cantina (godawful) skit one of the aliens is sporting a gorilla vest and gloves. And I could swear another is wearing part of Ursus amour (shoulder pieces) or it might be just a similiar looking samari-type costume. :D

I noticed in one of the "Wild Wild West" reunion tele-films that the baddie henchman were wearing leather Gorilla vests. I can't remember if they wore the gauntlets as well.

Those leather uniforms are unmistakeable!

Heck, I used to watch that old Saturday morning show Ark II (1976) just to see those great Ape City sets. :D

And they did have a Chimp as a crew member... a REAL chimp. :monkey3:monkey3:monkey3

You Too!!!

The only reason I watched that "Last Winabego On Earth" show was for the chimp and what was left of the Ape City set.

I couldn't remember the title of the show until you brought it up. "Ark II"... Great memory Proto!

I'm sure that's what it is... or perhaps, he constructed one that travels through time and he climbed aboard it using the same trajectory as Taylor’s ship...

A Hasslein Curve a bend in time... But that dosen't tell us where he is or when he is.

Last edited:
Well, where is he JJ? Do you have notions Skipper? I'll bet he's probably some 320 light-years from Earth on an unnamed planet, in orbit around a star in the constellation of Orion.

I've told you where he is and when he is.

He's 300 light years from his precious planet...

Even if he could get back. They'd think he fell out of a tree!

I have been monitoring the thread via Operation Tick Tock's machinery.
ArkII you say? Get it on DVD:
https://search.deepdiscount.com/sea...m&rsc=STNiL3r77SyACDef&method=and&isort=score

I already have the Jason of Star Command and Space Academy sets.BTW, anyone know where I can find Gerry Anderson's Space Precinct on DVD [region1]?

It, unfortunately, has not been any grand Icarus construction or other enjoyable 1:6 venture that has been keeping me from posting more, but a ton of 1:1 interventions into life. I will return, triumphantly I hope, to partake in the festivities once more as soon as I can. Until then ......

Hey, I remember that show!:cool: That vehicle reminds me of the one in Damnation alley with Jan Michel Vincent. Pretty cool!:rolleyes:

Back