Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't write those words, Angel...

Michael Wilson and Rod Serling have to be given credit for them. It's Heston's opening monologue!

I really don't know how long it takes to make the costumes, Sticks. It is a lot faster since I've made my rudimentary patterns. There is still a lot of fitting the leather to the actual figure. The costume is so form fitting and tight that I can't just cut and sew from a pattern. The pattern is just a rough idea of the general size for pieces. Each piece of leather still has to be trimmed , weathered and distressed.

I try not to spend more than two hours at a clip. My eyes and patients are old and worn out and my attention span is getting shorter! Also this being the third of the same costume makes the boredom factor kick in. I just want to finnish this for Angel before I redo the sleeves on Cornelius and Zira. That's my next project.

Jungle, how do you "weather" or distress the leather? Who needs another Nova outfit? I'm curious to try making one.

Last edited:
Jessica you brought up an interesting point regarding the glyphs on Zira.

I did a little digging and came up with two different styles for her.

3888571020A.jpg
2344731020A.jpg

SS apparently copied the later version and did indeed get the first symbol backwards. Nice catch. Too bad that simply inverting the glyphs won't correct this problem.

Good night and see you all tomorrow.

I don't think there were two different versions of her costume, I just think that the bottom photo was flopped.
Zira is holding the top flap of her tunic and it's facing to her right shoulder. I think the top flap should go over to her left shoulder like in the top photo.

I guess Sideshow may have been using a flopped photo for their reference.

That kind of stuff happens all the time.

-Ray

I don't think there were two different versions of her costume, I just think that the bottom photo was flopped.
Zira is holding the top flap of her tunic and it's facing to her right shoulder. I think the top flap should go over to her left shoulder like in the top photo.

-Ray

You're right! In the movie, I remember her being on the right side of the screen when this action sequence took place.

I didn't write those words, Angel...

Michael Wilson and Rod Serling have to be given credit for them. It's Heston's opening monologue!

:lol:rotfl:lol:rotfl:lol

I know you didn't write them, but you chose the right words (of someone else) at just the right time! Your timing was just really good, considering everyone had just "retired" for the night.

Last edited:

Sideshow used a flopped picture of Buffy for their Buffy PF. Her hair is parted on the wrong side and she is holding the stake in her left hand. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Jessica and Angel, you're items are in transit. Hopefully they will get to you soon.

Jungle, how do you "weather" or distress the leather? Who needs another Nova outfit? I'm curious to try making one.

Jess...

I first off I use the unfinished side of the leather piece I am working with, I usually use sand paper here and there and a lot of cuts on the edges using an exacto knife or razor blade. Next I use the exacto to cut some small well placed holes in the leather. Final touch would be a bit of dry brushing here and there with a darker shade of brown and a bit of black on some of the edges.

The real trick is to hide as many joints as possible and still have the costume appear as skimpy as possible. I shoot for a look between the first film and the second. Have you noticed how the costume changes from the beginning of the first film to the end of the first film. She appears to be wearing less and less.

In "Beneath" the costume is even more skimpy.

Jess...

I first off I use the unfinished side of the leather piece I am working with, I usually use sand paper here and there and a lot of cuts on the edges using an exacto knife or razor blade. Next I use the exacto to cut some small well placed holes in the leather. Final touch would be a bit of dry brushing here and there with a darker shade of brown and a bit of black on some of the edges.

The real trick is to hide as many joints as possible and still have the costume appear as skimpy as possible. I shoot for a look between the first film and the second. Have you noticed how the costume changes from the beginning of the first film to the end of the first film. She appears to be wearing less and less.

In "Beneath" the costume is even more skimpy.

Jungle, when you say to hide as many joints as possible--you're talking about the figure, right?

I never realized that the costume changes from within the first film. Another reason to rewatch it!! Anyway, I do want to try my hand at making it someday just because of the challenges involved. It is a very difficult outfit and I like the work that you have put into your Nova outfits. That would be very hard to emulate.

Good night guys.

Jess.

Here are a couple of suggestions when using your Apoxie Sculpt Jess. I use a “melon baller” to scoop the apoxie from each container to ensure an equal mix. Kneed the A/B mixture as instructed for a good mix and always keep your hands a little damp with water. (They recommend you wear rubber gloves... I don't. But I wash frequently so it doesn't harden on my hands.)

I keep a small bowl of water by my side to slightly wet my hands. (and an old towel.) The apoxie sculpt is pretty sticky for about an hour. If your hands are dampened, you can deal with the stickiness. After an hour, it is not nearly as sticky, but I always keep my hands dampened just the same.

I wet my sculpting tools in the water bowl often as well. That way the apoxie won't stick to them either.

Any other questions that may arise, please ask.

Here are a couple of suggestions when using your Apoxie Sculpt Jess. I use a “melon baller” to scoop the apoxie from each container to ensure an equal mix. Kneed the A/B mixture as instructed for a good mix and always keep your hands a little damp with water. (They recommend you wear rubber gloves... I don't. But I wash frequently so it doesn't harden on my hands.)

I keep a small bowl of water by my side to slightly wet my hands. (and an old towel.) The apoxie sculpt is pretty sticky for about an hour. If your hands are dampened, you can deal with the stickiness. After an hour, it is not nearly as sticky, but I always keep my hands dampened just the same.

I wet my sculpting tools in the water bowl often as well. That way the apoxie won't stick to them either.

Any other questions that may arise, please ask.

Good to know this stuff, Angel. I also finally brought the doll with a broken nose from out of the trunk of my van. It had been there since December when I got it used as part of a batch of dolls on Ebay. Last night I took a quick peak under the clothing--I almost screamed. It's a man's head on a woman's body!!! That has got to be the ugliest doll ever. I don't think I am going to make a chimp out of him. That was the reason why I wanted to try the Apoxie.

I think he's just going in the garbage. I was so grossed out. I don't think there's any fixing him...unless I just decapitate him and find a man's body for him. The weird thing is I've never seen an Asian doll, and this doll's features are Asian. Don't know if I should just toss him or keep him---don't know if there's any bad juju on him. Kind of creepy to me. Do you think I should bother?

Jessica.

I think he's just going in the garbage. I was so grossed out. I don't think there's any fixing him...unless I just decapitate him and find a man's body for him. The weird thing is I've never seen an Asian doll, and this doll's features are Asian. Don't know if I should just toss him or keep him---don't know if there's any bad juju on him. Kind of creepy to me. Do you think I should bother?
Jessica.

I'm confused, is it a male or female figure?
Mego scale or 1:6th?
Asian head sculpt, or body, or both?
Pictures please.:monkey5

I think he's just going in the garbage. I was so grossed out.
:lol

It sounds like you got a bit of The Crying Game.:monkey3:monkey4:rotfl

It can't be all that bad. Why can't you turn it into two figures? Get an appropriate head sculpt, body?

I'm confused, is it a male or female figure?
Mego scale or 1:6th?
Asian head sculpt, or body, or both?
Pictures please.:monkey5

:lol

It sounds like you got a bit of The Crying Game.:monkey3:monkey4:rotfl

It can't be all that bad. Why can't you turn it into two figures? Get an appropriate head sculpt, body?

Here are photos. It's very bad. It's much larger than Mego scale, so I thought it was 1:6, but seeing "it" next to Cornelius, it's smaller. The feet on the female body looks like it was made for heels, and I can't take the pants off--they are sewn onto the shirt but it's definitely got female hips underneath the pants...and a budding chest. This has got to be one of the fugliest dolls ever.

Doesn't this look like an Asian head? It looks like the body was swapped out in its lifetime. Maybe I would keep the head if I could find an appropriate body and turn it into a chimp but definitely the body is going to get binned. What do you think? Does it have any hope?

Good to know this stuff, Angel. I also finally brought the doll with a broken nose from out of the trunk of my van. It had been there since December when I got it used as part of a batch of dolls on Ebay. Last night I took a quick peak under the clothing--I almost screamed. It's a man's head on a woman's body!!! That has got to be the ugliest doll ever. I don't think I am going to make a chimp out of him. That was the reason why I wanted to try the Apoxie.

Jessica.

Hi Jessica! How about putting his/her picture on the forum and maybe we or I can send you some parts that can make your figure more complete.:cool:

Back