Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to a Hallmark store today. Did any of you know that there is a Planet of the Apes Valentine's Day card this year...the ones that play music when you open them. It has Taylor kissing Zira on the front and plays music from the original film. VERY strange!

Went to a Hallmark store today. Did any of you know that there is a Planet of the Apes Valentine's Day card this year...the ones that play music when you open them. It has Taylor kissing Zira on the front and plays music from the original film. VERY strange!

Hmm...I'm going to have to get that. That's mighty weird indeed--but I will just have to get one now and keep it at my desk at work. I'm going to put more paint on my O.R. tables. Nighty night.

Last edited:
Jess...

Really nice job on those tables. You did your homework and got all the details right! I wish it was 1/6th scale...

Angel, thank you! I see things on your screencaptures that I could not see when pausing the DVD! These are very helpful. I didn't realize that the leather had two sets of holes for the arms and legs...and definitely I will put those hooks on the tables.

And it looks like I'm going to have to add more holes to the General's Nova costume that I didn't see before...

Can you do a quick screencapture of the tent at the market? There's also this piece of furniture in the operating room that also shows up at the market scene with some baskets on top. I'm not going to make that (actually it's behind the assistant on your first screencapture), but I just mentioned it because maybe you didn't notice it before.

Thanks for the news on the Crayola Self drying clay. I'm going to give that stuff a try and form my own opinion of it.

I'm post those screen captures for you later tonight (if I remember, I'm at work right now.) If you don't see them by tomorrow, ask me again.

The game was playing in the background but I was zoned out working on my O.R. tables. :monkey1 couldn't wait for them to dry so I have already painted them, and punched holes in the leather strapping too. When the kids came home they turned the tv to Nickelodeon somewhere in the fourth quarter and I didn't protest.

Jess.

If I still lived in the City it would probably be full of revelry, but out here in the boonies there's no hint of any sports madness.

Jess - What did you use to punch the round holes in the leather straps???

Jess - What did you use to punch the round holes in the leather straps???

The leather was the thinnest I could find. I used some kind of paper punch you can get at the craft store--I think it was a fiskars punch that created 1/16th of a hole. Tiring on your hands if you do a lot at one time, but the results are beautiful. I also have a set for punching leather, but that requires using a hammer and some wood--I don't like to make that kind of noise indoors. I think a leather punch would be easier because you place the punch and then hammer out the hole...the paper punch is a little tricky but with practice you can make it work.

Last edited:
Jess...

Really nice job on those tables. You did your homework and got all the details right! I wish it was 1/6th scale...

Thanks for the compliments, Jungle and Angel. I have painted them but I need to look at the screencaptures Angel gave me again to make sure the overall colors are good. I may have gone too dark, which is ok because I can lighten it up with a little dry brushing. You can't really see it in the photos I took, but one of them is slightly shorter than the other. With the leather straps on it, it looks fantastic. I need to dig out my Mego Zira from my craft box and find her green clothing I made so I can photo her peeking underneath the blankets covering Taylor's loins.

I kind of started the tent structure for the market place, but I need to swing by the craft store again and get wooden poles. I was using flower wires that are covered with some kind of brown paper and they are too flimsy. I will use them for the top of the tents though...they should add a nice dimension.

Angel--did you see my earlier post that I sent you $$ Sunday morning for the gorilla head? I sent it to your e-mail address via Paypal.

Last edited:
For the record, I still dislike Side Show, however, I do like you guys/gal. Check out the Hunt Leader.

PZ - If you need glyphs shoot me your email.

Wow! Who did his hairdo? Beautiful! He needs to be upon a noble steed! Great eye candy!! Great to meet you Snickertown! Did you make the gorilla vest yourself? Where did you get that head? When the hunt leader shows up on screen is one of my favorite parts of the movie, and your hunt leader (and Ironman's) is wearing this exact expression. God he's gorgeous.

Last edited:
Ironman, I will likely post your Nova costume in tomorrow's mail. I couldn't find a needle small enough to fit the snaps (so I have to buy thinner needles when I make my craft run today). God only knows where I placed the needles I used for the underwear portion of the outfit--I was sewing on the snaps at 2 AM in the morning when I started the outfit and I couldn't for the life of me find them this morning when I was trying to complete the outfit. Can you do me a favor and take photos of Nova in her new duds when you get them? I know she will look hot in them...

Jess.

Last edited:
Yes, PZ--where were you last night? We were holding the fort without you.:monkey1

Weekends are really a lousy time to check in with the board. My family keeps me VERY busy.

I'm always having to play Monday morning catch up. And recently you guys are posting like mad (dare I say it's a MADHOUSE in here! :rolleyes:) so there is plenty to read... and plenty to try and respond to. :D

Sorry I missed that custom Caesar bust. I would have LOVED to have bid on it. :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

ApeCityGorillasgroupphoto2.jpg

Geez, Sticks! You've out done yourself! That thing must me huge! :monkey4 :monkey4 :monkey4

Geez, Sticks! You've out done yourself! That thing must me huge! :monkey4 :monkey4 :monkey4

That's one of the reasons I can't be making 1:6 scale--it's monstrous in proportions to the Mego scale...I can't fit that stuff in my house...But I think I will have to get myself a Hunt Leader and get a horse for him and make the saddles and stuff. It would look awesome in the living room. Stix--I also love the poses you have on the gorillas and chimps.

Last edited:
Please clarify: Are you wanting the Rebel Chimp Che head without beret? or are you wanting Galen?

Well consider me one confused monkey. I thought that your Galen WAS the Rebel Chimp Che without beret. :monkey4 :monkey4 :monkey4

I got that impression from an exchange we had between us which was posted back on page 341 of this thread. Here it is:

apes20081zz3.jpg

I really like your chimp, Angel! Did you sculpt it yourself?

Speaking of chimps, has anyone recast the Che Caesar figure without the beret yet? I'm VERY interested in the results!

I also can't wait to see, Angel, your re-working of Ironman's Urko all painted up.

And to that you quickly responded:

Proto - No Proto, I didn't sculpt this one. I wish I did. That is Che Chimp with a new hairdo that I gave him. I had about 25 screen shots of Galen that I used as reference when working on that chimp. I know I'll redo this chimp one more time. I really want his mouth opened up.

Now it's your turn to clarify. :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

Ok, just make the Galen head too!! :monkey3
Jess, I hope to be able to get some long overdue pix taken this upcoming weekend. Its just me and the boys then so we'll see....
Love those tables, and the Crayola Magic.. Great idea!!

Let's call him Galen. I also have a chimp without the beret and that "shaggy" type hair you didn't like. (Was that you who didn't like it PZ? Anyways, that doesn't really matter.) Without the beret he reminds me of the actor who played Cornelius in Beneath the POTA. And lastly, there's the che Chimp who has the beret.

Back