Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sticks, Jess, Jungle, Snick - I need you guys make something. I'm not feeling very inspired lately. :drool

JJ - How's are the Nova clothes coming along?

Jess - Whats going on at the market place?

Sticks -What happening in Ape City?

Snick - Tell us more about the Icarus project you're having built!

Sticks, Jess, Jungle, Snick - I need you guys make something. I'm not feeling very inspired lately. :drool

Angel,

The market is on hold. I am done I think with the clothes rack, but I needed to go to the hardware shop and get a metal file to get inbetween the tiny crevices to smooth things out, and I keep forgetting to do that. Then I get to paint it a dark wood-grain color.

Plus, I am SOOOOO close to the finishline with the ANSA outfit that it's got me consumed. It's great sewing practice. I hope to complete the "other" outfit in time for SDCC...

I might try another fabric place in the area as I have bounced looking for the "perfect one" at Joann's.

I have also been wondering how your wagon project is doing and how you were holding up. It looks quite complicated.

Jess.

Last edited:
Anybody have $$ to get SPECIAL undies (and footwear)??? :D

As worn in the original movie by Charleton Heston...Ebay Auction 320218419313 $5,000.00 and it is estimated to be worth $10-15K

I always thought this was leather--so it's great to see it like this. Gives me ideas for future customs instead of what I have been doing...

Last edited:
:monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

Man, that is soooo beautiful! :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

I can't thank you enough for posting this auction, Angel... even though I don't have that kind of money to buy it :)monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2 ), it is sure great to take a good look at it.

Let's see... how I could put a second mortgage on the house without the wife knowing... :(

PZ, you can always have the next best thing...have somebody custom make it for you. This place I found looks like they would do a better job than the hollywood costume place:

https://www.cheriebixler.com/services.html

Jess.

As long as I can remember, I have always wanted to collect original POTA props (especially stuff from the making of the first film) but I've never had the income that would support such a hobby. I guess I just studied the wrong things in college. :rolleyes:

Like I've stated in previous posts, all I own in the way of POTA props is an original Morton Haack preproduction painting and a pair of Chimp sleeve glyphs.

But to own an original orangutan prop... ahhhhhh! :monkey5 :monkey5 :monkey5

So close and yet so far. :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

As long as I can remember, I have always wanted to collect original POTA props (especially stuff from the making of the first film) but I've never had the income that would support such a hobby. I guess I just studied the wrong things in college. :rolleyes:

Like I've stated in previous posts, all I own in the way of POTA props is an original Morton Haack preproduction painting and a pair of Chimp sleeve glyphs.

But to own an original orangutan prop... ahhhhhh! :monkey5 :monkey5 :monkey5

So close and yet so far. :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

Wow--to have those things you already have are awesome to begin with. Yes, this collecting of originals is way out of my league...kudos to them that can afford such niceties.

Jess.

Angel the Nova outfit I'm making for you WILL be made... Having said that, it is difficult to put a timeline on it. These election primaries are killing me. I worked 17+ hours on Tuesday night and am just now feeling normal again.

I promised you I would make it for you and a promise made is a debt unpaid. I'm just sorry it is taking this long.

I forgot about that poster, Jungle--that was a beautiful piece of art that you did-how could I forget that one? And of course your Nova outfit cannot compare to the original Sideshow...it does the movie justice.

I just wanted to show you guys how far I got making my Icarus paper model before I decided it was dead in the water. I kind of messed up the sides and gave up halfway. :monkey2 It looks beautiful though, even though it's not complete. Guess anything Planet of the Apes related is beautiful to me. I think I need to reprint and re-do when I am more focused. Anybody ever put these paper models together? Looked easy at first but it's a difficult task. Maybe I needed better scissors, but I wasn't about to use my Gingher shears on paper...

Guys, I think I am almost done with the ANSA outfit! I just need to add another snap on the front of the jacket and sew the belt of the jacket on. I completed embroidering the fake pockets on the pants and managed to sew a mandarin collar on it this evening. I can almost smell the finish line...All I have to do now is paint Colonel Taylor's head. Do you think I should add Forbidden Zone dirt onto the outfit (like on his elbows and knees) before I take his official portrait and call it a day and move onto my other WIPs?

Ugh...I forgot I have to make him a backpack too...
Jess.

Jessica, that Icarus looks really cool. Great Job, and I can't wait to see your ANSA update.

Hey there Angel buddy. My brother is still sick so the studio is closed until he is better. He's been sick now for nearly two weeks. I was sick for only a couple of days. I will be working on the city this weekend and will post test shots early next week.

ANG & JESS -The Icarus project consists of Taylor sitting in a very detailed chair in front of the window and console. The width is going to be the size of the window and it's going to go as far back as the chair. This is bound to change. I'm currently going through labor disputes.

ANG - A Brent head will push your inspiration.

Last edited:
Later this afternoon, I will post photos of my Colonel Taylor in his ANSA outfit. Yes, I still have to make a backpack, but I painted his head last night and I need it critiqued. I need to know what you monkeys would do to make it better. It's my 2nd paint job, and I know it could look better. I think I messed it up, really.

Jess.

Jess - I custom made you an ape horn yesterday. I'll paint it up today, add a leather strap and a golden tassle for you.

OMG! This is totally so cool... I can't wait to get my little paws on that. I am hoping to finish my other outfit and photographed in time for PZ's jaunt at SDCC.

Jess.

ANG & JESS -The Icarus project consists of Taylor sitting in a very detailed chair in front of the window and console. The width is going to be the size of the window and it's going to go as far back as the chair. This is bound to change. I'm currently going through labor disputes.

ANG - A Brent head will push your inspiration.

If I remember correctly (another reason to rewatch the movie!!), there is a step down to get to the rest of the Icarus, so I am imagining that your project would end about there. I'm still on the lookout for the paneling and I haven't come across any yet. Maybe I might see something the next time I go to the hardware store to locate a metal file that I could use for sanding.

Jess.

Hey PZ - when's your birthday? Tell her you want it for your BD! :happybday

My birthday is coming up WAY TOO FAST (it's less than a month) to save up for something like that.

Still, I could tell her that if she DID buy it for me, that she wouldn't have to buy me anything for the rest of my natural life... that covers BOTH birhtdays AND Christmases. Do you think she'll go for it? :monkey5 :monkey5 :monkey5

My birthday is coming up WAY TOO FAST (it's less than a month) to save up for something like that.

Still, I could tell her that if she DID buy it for me, that she wouldn't have to buy me anything for the rest of my natural life... that covers BOTH birhtdays AND Christmases. Do you think she'll go for it? :monkey5 :monkey5 :monkey5

I don't think so....:monkey4 Nobody understands the passion. Does she? Although it is quite an argument. You have nothing to lose and that very cool outfit to gain. Good luck.

Jess.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly (another reason to rewatch the movie!!), there is a step down to get to the rest of the Icarus, so I am imagining that your project would end about there. I'm still on the lookout for the paneling and I haven't come across any yet. Maybe I might see something the next time I go to the hardware store to locate a metal file that I could use for sanding.

Jess.

You are correct. Basically, the ship will go as far as the chair. So we'll have a little in front and on the sides. Don't worry about the panneling. I think that is all taken care of.

Have a good wknd.

OK guys...Here are pics of Colonel Taylor. Please criticize and let me know how I can improve his paint job. It was too overcast for my preference. Is he too pasty? Should I bronze his skin a bit more? My favorite photo is the third one--probably because you can't really see his face and because from that angle he really looks like Heston. I think the paint application is a bit rough. Any way to fix that? :monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

On a side note...I faked the snap of Taylor's belt of the jacket with a small French knot. Didn't know my 5th grade elective (embroidery) would ever come into play...

Jess.

Last edited:
I would make the "paneling" for the Icarus using something such as clay, Sculpey and/or Apoxie. By pressing the triangular shapes into the clay, you could get the same effect that the paneling is. Try to picture a meat tenderizer and pushing the little pyramids into Apoxie Sculpt. They have meat-tenderizing hammer with this basic design.

Here's a couple more helmet shots of Ursus. I don't think I ever posted these. :angelsmil

Angel, I really love the colors you used on his face. He looks pretty menacing!!

Jess.

Here is a photo before painting, and after painting. Too bad they are not taken at the same time of day and one of them was taken indoors.

Jess.

Back