Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PZ, I have seen that photo of Taylor in the water, but I couldn't imagine where it could have been in the movie. I never got it regarding your name. That is really cool. For some reason I thought Proto was because you liked proteus flowers. I don't know why I thought that.

Jess.

I thought you liked you liked proteus flowers also Proto! :peace

Taylor's blanket seems to keep changing. When he runs it's above his knees, when he's in the cage it's down to his ankles, when he is in the outside cage it's below his knees. I made a blanket and thought it was too short. Now I don't know.

KFOG - A big THANK YOU!!!!! for your Walmart tip. In the isle that has the dish liners I found a jar-lid opener that is perfect for the Icarus ceiling. The price is 88 cents for 6 of them. Not only did you point me in the right direction, you saved me close to $50. My sculptor and I were going to have to create the roof from scratch and it wasn't going to be easy.

Snick - Post a picture of this material and let me see this material you're using. I'm really curious what KFog located for you.

Last edited:
I never got it regarding your name. That is really cool. For some reason I thought Proto was because you liked proteus flowers. I don't know why I thought that.

Jess.

I started using the screen name "Protozaius" about ten years ago. It all began when Hasbro released the first wave of 12"ers back in 1998 for POTA 30th Anniversary. I was SO excited about getting them even though they left A LOT to be desired. But heck, it was the first official merchandise in a LONG time... even before the POTA Medicom vinyl figures and Kubricks. And they did look a bit better than those silly Megos of yesteryear.

Anyway, a few months before they were slated to be released, I found an auction on Ebay for a 12" Hasbro Dr. Zaius test shot. It looked weird...the colors of plastic and cloth were MUCH different than the proposed production versions. I was really itching to get them so I bought the prototype Zaius. The seller later told me that he had test shots of the rest of the first wave. I bought them as well. Funny thing, when the prototypes of both Cornelius and Ursus finally arrived at my doorstep, it was on the same day that I found the whole wave of production figures on the shelf of my local toy store. It was quite an Ape day for me... getting all of this Ape stuff, I brought out all of my old Mego figures and showed them to my 3 year old daughter. It was the first time in YEARS that I immersed myself so fully into my Ape fandom... both past and present.

It was only the next day did I find out that THAT day was also the day Roddy McDowall died. To this day I find the event profoundly ironic.

Well, during all of this, I just started calling the test shots "ProtoZaius", "ProtoCornelius" and ProtoUrsus". Within the next couple of years, I became quite the test shot collector... obtaining a "ProtoZira" and "ProtoGorilla" as well along with about a dozen Star Wars 12" test shots). Strangely enough, I found three variations of the ProtoZaius over the years... which leads me to believe that he was probably the first figure that they worked on. I've included pictures of all three. And because I have three of these Zaiuses, I sometimes end my posts with monkey faces. :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

So after getting three ProtoZaiuses, the name just stuck in my head. I guess because it sounds a bit like the scientific term "protozoa". So I just started using it for my screen name when ever I'm asked to provide one. Besides, the name "ProtoCornelius" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

protozaiusesmq2.jpg

This is my first ProtoZaius:
protoz1ut1.jpg
protoz1culr7.jpg

This is my second ProtoZaius (which is basically the same as the first except he has a dark purple jacket and pants):
protoz2du1.jpg
protoz2cufz7.jpg

This is my third and weirdest Protozaius... I think this is the earliest Protozaius since the shoulder material they sew on the glyphs is of a different material than the other two (which both match the glossy material found in the production version). He also has two left hands:
protoz3ad5.jpg
protoz3cunz4.jpg

What strikes me about these test shots, is that you can really see a decent attempt at sculpting the characters when you see them in a neutral color and without any paint.

Anyway, enjoy the pictures... and if anyone else would like to explainn THEIR screen name (probably in a much shorter post than mine) please feel free....

Last edited:
I started using the screen name "Protozaius" about ten years ago. I all began when Hasbro released those the first wave of 12"ers back in 1998 for the film's 30th Anniversary. I was SO excited about getting them even though they left ALOT to be desired. But heck, it was the first official merchandise in a LONG time... even before the POTA Medicom vinyl figures and Kubricks. And they did look a bit better than those silly Megos of yesteryear.

Anyway, a few months before they were slated to be released, I found an auction on Ebay for a 12" Hasbro Dr. Zaius test shot. It looked weird...the colors of plastic and cloth were MUCH different than the proposed production versions. I was really itching to get them so I bought the prototype Zaius. The seller later told me that he had test sdhots of the rest of the first wave. I bought them as well. Funny thing, when the prototypes of both Cornelius and Ursus finally arrived at my doorstep, it was on the same day that I found the whole wave of production figures on the shelves of my local toy store. It was quite an Ape day for me... getting all of this my Ape stuff, I brought out all of my old Mego figures and showed them to my 3 year old daughter. It was the first time in YEARs that I immersed myself so fully into my Ape fandom.

It was only the next day did I find out that THAT day was also the day Roddy McDowall died. To this day I find the event profoundly ironic.

Well, during all of this, I just started calling the test shots "ProtoZaius", "ProtoCornelius" and ProtoUrsus". Within the next couple of years, I became quite the test shot collector... obtaining a "ProtoZira" and "ProtoGorilla" as well along with about a dozen Star Wars 12" test shots). Strangely enough, I found three variations of the ProtoZaius over the years... which leads me to believe that he was probably the first figure that they worked on. I've included pictures of all three. And because I have three of these Zaiuses, I sometimes end my posts with monkey faces. :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

So after getting three ProtoZaiuses, the name just stuck in my head. I guess because it sounds a bit like the scientific term "protozoa". So I just started using it for my screen name when ever I'm asked to provide one. Besides, the name "ProtoCornelius" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

protozaiusesmq2.jpg

This is my first ProtoZaius:
protoz1ut1.jpg
protoz1culr7.jpg

This is my second ProtoZaius (which is basically the same as the first except he has a dark purple jacket and pants):
protoz2du1.jpg
protoz2cufz7.jpg

This is my third and weirdest Protozaius... I think this is the earliest Protozaius since the shoulder material they sew on the glyphs is of a different material than the other two (which both match the glossy material found in the production version):
protoz3ad5.jpg
protoz3cunz4.jpg

What strikes me about these test shots, is that you can really see a decent attempt at sculpting the characters when you see them in a neutral color and without any paint.

Anyway, enjoy the pictures... and if anyone else would like to explainn THEIR screen name (probably in a much shorter post than mine) please feel free....

PZ, these are awesome....freaky but awesomely good. The sculpt detail is excellent--the hair is a bit freaky. You could easily have made your own glyphs from these if they were 12"...easily modified, which could have saved Snick mucho $$. But...I am not complaining...as I have a set of very accurate glyphs coming to me...

Please share pics of the other Prototypes you have.
Jess.

JESS - I'm still waiting for the new and improved thinner glyphs to show up. I will be using the Exclusive Zaius for that purpose. Currently, I'm redoing the sleeves.

Did your thinner glyphs arrive?

I've thought about re-doing the sleeves too... making the leather strip down the sleeves narrower for the glyphs. But I'm not so good at sewing. I would probably make a big mess of it.

What are you doing about the extra leather strip down Zaius's back?

I've thought about re-doing the sleeves too... making the leather strip down the sleeves narrower for the glyphs. But I'm not so good at sewing. I would probably make a big mess of it.

What are you doing about the extra leather strip down Zaius's back?

I'm purchasing a regular Dr. Z and altering his outfit. I just have to figure out what to do regarding the hands. Probably sculpt it myself--don't know...and Snick is going to help me out with the boots when I get to that point...

Jess.

I was hunting for the pictures you requested Jess and came across these "stained glass" partitions.

Thanks, Angel. So is it safe to assume that the Lawgiver statue is 1.5 times taller than the average ape?

Jess.

And thanks for the other screenshots, too. They are GREAT!! It's great to see the lab from a different perspective.

I've just received the new set of thinner glyphs... and they are a MAJOR improvement over the last set. They look to provide better flexability posing the figure.

I also received the classic glyphs as well! Thanks Matt!!!

PZ, these are awesome....freaky but awesomely good. The sculpt detail is excellent--the hair is a bit freaky. You could easily have made your own glyphs from these if they were 12"...easily modified, which could have saved Snick mucho $$. But...I am not complaining...as I have a set of very accurate glyphs coming to me...

Please share pics of the other Prototypes you have.
Jess.

The hair in the production version had some gel added to it so it would lay flatter on the head. All of my POTA 12" testshots have hair that was untreated with this material... so they are a bit... freaky. Especially the third one. :google

I'll share pictures of my other POTA prototypes soon. The ProtoCornelius is a bit extra freaky with a jet black face and pink higlights on his tunic. :rolleyes:

I only wish I could find a Sideshow Ape test shot. The only prototype of the Sideshow line I have is the Lawgiver statue.

Last edited:
Back