Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Angel, I went to the thrift store today and found a wool jacket (thin) that will work for Zira's swing jacket if the velvet I have now is too thick for the scale. (Kind of like a backup fabric). And, the cool thing is...this fabric that I bought is 100% wool, exactly the type of fabric that one would use for a high quality jacket. Zira's going to be sporting some might fine duds...

Jess.

That's a great idea Jess! I'll have to look around the local thrift shops for an old grey suit. Have you ever seen any stores that sell grey suit material that could be used for Cornelius?

I've been thinking alot about the Zira outfit. :naughty Can't get the image out of my head!

I have been on the lookout for a fine check material but have not encountered any, even at the thrift store yesterday. It's got to be out there somewhere. I think the best bet would be a thrift store, since I have been unsuccessful in finding any suiting material that's appropriate for Cornelius's outfit in any of the fabric stores around here--even Britex in San Francisco. If you go to a thrift store, also check out the womens suits in case there is a fine grey check there.

I have purposely not worked on Zira's outfit for the past two days because I don't want to burn out. It's coming along so nicely I don't want to mess things up. I have been pondering how to find a solution to a problem I have encountered with the sleeve opening of her swing jacket when working on the 1/9 scale, and I think I have found one but I don't know how it will pan out until I cross that bridge.

Jess.

Last edited:
Just wanted to let you guys know that my apes have arrived safely. So now I have boxed: 1 Cornelius, 1 Zira, 1 Dr. Zaius, 3 General Ursus, and open: 2 Ziras, 2 Cornelius, 1 Dr. Zaius, 1 marauder ape, 1 General Ursus. I am happily swimming in SS monkeys. I didn't know I had this many in my household!!

I don't like the color of the fabric on Dr. Zaius' outfit (seems a little off to me), but I found a perfect orange in my closet--looks like I'm going to have to re-do his duds entirely which I won't mind because I wanted to use the yummy gummi glyphs from Matt. I'll take a photo before I take scissors to my jacket just to get a second opinion from you guys.

Jess.

Last edited:
I have been unsuccessful in finding any suiting material that's appropriate for Cornelius's outfit in any of the fabric stores around here--even Britex in San Francisco. If you go to a thrift store, also check out the womens suits in case there is a fine grey check there.
Jess.

Glad you mentioned that Jess. I would NOT have looked in the womens section. Never even dawned on me. Thanks for the input. Wish me luck. :)

Angel, so you don't think there's any outfit already 1:6 that's pre-made for Cornelius' outfit? There's got to be something already done out there...And good luck. If you have extra yardage, can I buy some off of you so I can cross off an item on my Mego to-do list?

Jess.

I don't like the color of the fabric on Dr. Zaius' outfit (seems a little off to me), but I found a perfect orange in my closet--looks like I'm going to have to re-do his duds entirely which I won't mind because I wanted to use the yummy gummi glyphs from Matt. I'll take a photo before I take scissors to my jacket just to get a second opinion from you guys.

Jess.

Yeah, the Sideshow orangutan outfit has too much brown mixed in and not enough orange.

As for guessing what the real costumes are made of, I'm not too good at that. You can check Apemania.com for picks of the costumes and judge for yourself...

Thanks, PZ. I am currently researching the type of fabric. I'll let you know what I find out.

Jess.

Angel, so you don't think there's any outfit already 1:6 that's pre-made for Cornelius' outfit? There's got to be something already done out there...And good luck. If you have extra yardage, can I buy some off of you so I can cross off an item on my Mego to-do list?

Jess.

A really "quick dunk" in RIT orange fabric dye ought to do it. I'll bet it would give the fabric a orange tinting. I'd be willing to try that sometime soon and share the results with you guys.

Jess - I drybrushed a flesh color paint over the Bridgekeeper figure . That knocked off the shine of the plastic and helped to match the coloring in the mutes face. He came out very well... ask STICKS. I did it for his mute figure also.

I would agree, it turned out nicely. Good-bye sheen.

Ape Freaks -

Here are two quick shots, unfortunately The whole opening scene is getting cut due to time limit. So no one else will see this footage, :monkey2. My opening ran 25 seconds, too long so it has to go.

IMG_0927a.jpg

IMG_1166a.jpg

What do you guys think?

Jess.

Jess - Absolutely. I'll get some fabric for you... that is, if I actually find some. I've been looking for a year and a half for a Cornelius suit that I like. I haven't seen one as of yet...

I'm really looking forward to seeing the suit Hasslein picked up for his Cornelius. Maybe he'll post some pix soon. In the meantime, here are some pics of Cornelius wearing his suit. Notice he wears a tie, an ascot and then a sweater underneath.

Last edited:
Jess - are you still going to make the scary rainbow robe? I'll bet you could find a towel [or washcloth] with a similiar pattern for the ugly robe.

Last edited:
Hi Angel and Jess! When I see the Cornelius suit, I think of the suits wore by the Rat Pack of the 50's, 60's, and 70's. So, I thought of the Mattel Frank Sinatra figure. This one is in black, but I could have sworn that I had seen one in grey at one time.

FRANK SINATRA GREAT 12 " TALL POSABLE FIGURE BY MATTEL Item number: 200212858260

https://cgi.ebay.com/FRANK-SINATRA-...goryZ348QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:D

Last edited:
Wow! That's a great looking suit KFog. I like the quality and cut of the jacket and pants. I'm really tempted to pick it up even though it's not what Cornelius actually wore. That a classic suit with an old time feel.

Jess - Absolutely. I'll get some fabric for you... that is, if I actually find some. I've been looking for a year and a half for a Cornelius suit that I like. I haven't seen one as of yet...

I'm really looking forward to seeing the suit Hasslein picked up for his Cornelius. Maybe he'll post some pix soon. In the meantime, here are some pics of Cornelius wearing his suit. Notice he wears a tie, an ascot and then a sweater underneath.

I also found a gray suit at Monkey Depot!

https://www.monkeydepot.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3650

Last edited:
It seems like that gray suit lacks quality... I don't really care for that Monkey Depot suit.

I put a bid on an eBay Sinatra suit... I think it's very stylish! :cool:

Back