Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Protozaius said:
What is the "Monkey King" figure? Did I miss something?:confused:

Its a Jason Ng figure... I Kidrobot carried him for awhile and here's the link:Monky King However, they used to have different pictures and the headsculpt looked a lot better, like this eBay auction: eBay Monkey King. So I'm not sure what this means if you were able to buy one if it would look good, or kinda crappy :monkey2

The figure is based on the main character from "Into the West" a Chinese classical novel... this site has info and the story (w/pictures) at the bottom. Probably an inspiration for POTA? Monky King Legend

There was an "americanized" version on sci-fi a few weeks ago starring Greg from Dharma & Greg.
Unfortunately the figure is too expensive just for this:
65_2.JPG

I was gonna try and remember to watch that movie... but I guess the knowledge that SciFi original movies and crap are (typically) one and the same must have won out :monkey3

But for the figure I like both the headsculp and the idea of a samurai monkey... something about that does my heart good.

And score!!! I just stumbled across a Monkey King in the US with a BIN of $80... so I actually got him for under a hundred shipped. And I have this thread to thank as I was trying to find our more about oddball ape figures on eBay!!! Here he is and from the picture it looks like a good headsculpt and paint job, not like the weird one on Kidrobot. My Monkey King

galactiboy said:
And score!!! I just stumbled across a Monkey King in the US with a BIN of $80... so I actually got him for under a hundred shipped. And I have this thread to thank as I was trying to find our more about oddball ape figures on eBay!!! Here he is and from the picture it looks like a good headsculpt and paint job, not like the weird one on Kidrobot. My Monkey King
Well, if you find you don't need that ape head.... :monkey3

Well there are two alternate heads... but my guess is the main monkey will be the only one in circulations. But I'll keep you in mind :monkey1

Nice collection Galactiboy. I like the Che Caesar and Apethoven figures. I never heard about those. Thanks.

Ironman1188 said:
There was an "americanized" version on sci-fi a few weeks ago starring Greg from Dharma & Greg.
Unfortunately the figure is too expensive just for this:
65_2.JPG

Okay... now I remember that guy er, ape. I think you posting that pic before, Ironman and I've simply forgot it. :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

Do post some picture of your monkey on this thread when you get him, galactiboy! :D

I'll be happy to, the seller already contacted me and he should be in the mail on Monday. Very excited to get this figure :monkey5

And thanks for the compliment Stickman!!! I like your made ape photo skills, Even if the Jason mask caused a stir :monkey3

Hey all, I am going to just go off the topic here for a sec.
Does any one understand the all the details of Sideshows new Inclusive Editions? They state that "Sideshow wants to offer select figures to the public in a new way, an inclusive way that is meant to introduce specific items to a much wider community of fans. We recognize that not all of the buyers interested in our figures would necessarily describe themselves as "serious collectors". Sideshow has created our new Collector's Inclusive Edition program, which we hope will expand the community of collectors and potential collectors around the world making it easier for those fans that may only purchase one or two pieces per year to have a more convenient opportunity to own a Sideshow Collectible."
My question, rather my hope is, maby some Apes will make it into this section! Since many of us want more in the Ape line, and since Sideshow feels there isn't enough interest to put more figures out. could it be that possibly they may make us Ape lovers some of our dream figures with a VERY low and limited number edition size? Any thoughts on this?

Well... just a few days later and Monkey king has arrived. What can I say I love, love, love this figure! Absolutely stunning, he has a few flaws, but this guy is just the bees-knees. So here's some shots broken into 2 posts:

The box, evidently in the style of a book... has little fabric clasps that hold it closed as well as an edition number... mines 661/10000, just 5 numbers off :monkey3

hanua.jpg

The costuming on this figure is amazing, I can't tell if parts are armor are woven or molded, but it looks great from all angles:

hanub.jpg

hanuc.jpg

hanud.jpg

hanue.jpg

Here's a detail of the chest armor:

hanuf.jpg

onto part 2...​

Last edited:
Part 2:
Here are shots of the headsculpts... the main as well as the human and cartoonie one. The main and human head swap out real well, but for some reason the cartoonie one is real tight and I didn't want to force it.

hanug.jpg

hanuh.jpg

hanui.jpg

hanuj.jpg

And here's his main accessory, a long metal (actually) staff. In a addition to the heads he has a total of 8 swappable hands a crown (see human head), some kind of long thin pin (?) and the gold chain he's sporting in the last shot.

hanuk.jpg

hanul.jpg

Overall this figure is just A-mazing. The two big nits would be that the body is a little chintsy... it feels like an older dragon body and is a bit looser than I would prefer. Also one set of hands (the ohm ones) are pretty small and don't look right on the figure. But aside from that the figure is golden... highly reccommend you get one if you can :monkey1 :monkey1 :monkey1

I feel your pain... it is really a beautiful sculpt. And I didn't realize before I got him that his hair was real big in the back. He's also got a pretty long neck-post so he'd probably work well w/ a Sideshow body. Good luck tracking one down... but if I were you I'd splurge on one, its an awesome figure :monkey5

That is ONE AWESOME MONKEY!!! :monkey5 :monkey5 :monkey5

Decisions, decisions.... Do I save for the Monkey King... the Apethoven... or the Che Caesar? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Heck get 'em all! At least eventually. I would definitely reccommend both the Apethoven and Monkey King. They are both real fun and very eclectic figures... One day I hope to be able to find the Che as well. Although I have a suspicion if any come up soon we may all be battling for one :monkey1

Okay just one more monkey figure... sort of:
Tah Dah!!!​
bombera.jpg

bomberb.jpg

Okay, so he's not really a monkey, but he does have a monkey mask (and a lot of dynamite!!!). I was finally able to pick up 21st Century Toy's (questionable) Mad Bomber figure, and this is one of his 3 masks :monkey3

galactiboy said:
Okay just one more monkey figure... sort of:
Tah Dah!!!​
bombera.jpg

bomberb.jpg

Okay, so he's not really a monkey, but he does have a monkey mask (and a lot of dynamite!!!). I was finally able to pick up 21st Century Toy's (questionable) Mad Bomber figure, and this is one of his 3 masks :monkey3

Very nice!! I was wondering where you got that from...

And cool Monkey King... Looks like an interesting collectible to own, very unique.

galactiboy said:
I feel your pain... it is really a beautiful sculpt. And I didn't realize before I got him that his hair was real big in the back. He's also got a pretty long neck-post so he'd probably work well w/ a Sideshow body. Good luck tracking one down... but if I were you I'd splurge on one, its an awesome figure :monkey5

I have no interest in the figure as a whole or I may have splurged. I just need the ape head for a custom. Good grab on the 21st Mad Bomber. I've been looking high and low for an affordable one of those [or, again, just the head] for a Vulture custom I have planned. I may well have to storm your house as it seems all my goals are now in one place. :monkey5

Ironman1188 said:
I've been looking high and low for an affordable one of those [or, again, just the head] for a Vulture custom I have planned. I may well have to storm your house as it seems all my goals are now in one place. :monkey5

Well in an effort to keep the leader of the Great Ape Army from my gates I give you a peace offering: there is a guy on the OSW forum selling just the figure, jumpsuit and boots for $20! Loose Mad Bomber I assume you just want the human head... so this is probably the cheapest option. And, if you want I could go halves with you on it as I wouldn't mind getting an extra jumpsuit and distressing it a bit as an alternative to my super-bright one!

Back