Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jerry, you don't know what you just asked!!!! :D

And YES!!!! I would!!!

Right now its just a thought. I know I could get the rights...theyre friends of mine.

I LOVE POTA...

I just want to make sure Im not putting too much on my plate...and Im not sure what type of statues either...

Suggestions ?

Right now its just a thought. I know I could get the rights...theyre friends of mine.

I LOVE POTA...

I just want to make sure Im not putting too much on my plate...and Im not sure what type of statues either...

Suggestions ?

I for one, was looking forward to the mixed media, 1/4 scale Premium Format line that Sideshow was originally going to do... but now that space has become a premium, I still want them, but only a few major characters. I might go for 1/6th scale statues, but that would depend on the final products.

I for one, was looking forward to the mixed media, 1/4 scale Premium Format line that Sideshow was originally going to do... but now that space has become a premium, I still want them, but only a few major characters. I might go for 1/6th scale statues, but that would depend on the final products.

Why did SS decide not to do them ?

Where are you digging up these photos from, Jess? 90% of them I've NEVER seen. And that speed boat carrying the ANSA astronanuts is a real hoot. :D

PZ, A lady never tells!!

I am on a mission....I need me some ape eye candy. I love looking for stuff I've never seen and sharing them with you guys. I hit a gold mine today digging through artifacts...

And...NEW statues? OMG!!! Please 1/6 scale----PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE---I need to calm down--my heart can't take this---Are you serious? Are you yanking my chain, rattling my cage????????

Last edited:

I LOVE POTA...

Suggestions ?

Introductions, please? Who are you and where have you been all my life?????

Introductions, please? Who are you and where have you been all my life?????

Jerry is the man behind PopCultureShock Collectibles and the sculptor of most of the figures they have put out, such as the Street Fighter II figures that Sideshow distributes. Previously, he was the driving force behind SOTA Toys!

Examples...

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=9000571

9000571.jpg

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=54101

54101.jpg

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=5409

5409.jpg

Oh! And here is his MySpace page (I don't think he has a dedicated web site yet)...

https://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=148181805

Hopefully Jerry won't mind, here is his bio from his MySpace page...

Jerry M said:
Welcome to Pop Culture Shock Collectibles !

I am Jerry Macaluso, the former owner of the popular action figure company SOTA Toys and I formed Pop Culture Shock as a side project to manufacture and release limited edition, high end products for those who like the same kinds of cool games/movies/music that I dig.

You wont be seeing the latest trend here...you WILL be seeing niche properties with killer sculpts and long lasting appeal such as Street Fighter and the Toxic Avenger...along with many others I will announce soon.

I personally sculpt every product I release. This is a personal outlet for my creativity and I am going to keep the production editions VERY limited. You wont find 5000 or even 1000 production runs here... 750 will be the top as I want everything I create to retain its value and become a long term collectible.

J

Hopefully Jerry won't mind, here is his bio from his MySpace page...

Gee you need to be a publicist ! :joy

Please dont get too excited yet... right now its just something I am interested in. Im a big fan of POTA and actually did a line of official minibusts like 7 years ago...they were my first product and didnt come out so well.

Im interested in giving it another shot.

My biggest issue is I dont know WHAT to do...personally Id love a line of 1/2 scale busts even more than full figures.

Gee you need to be a publicist ! :joy

Please dont get too excited yet... right now its just something I am interested in. Im a big fan of POTA and actually did a line of official minibusts like 7 years ago...they were my first product and didnt come out so well.

Im interested in giving it another shot.

My biggest issue is I dont know WHAT to do...personally Id love a line of 1/2 scale busts even more than full figures.

Funny, Sideshow announced the 1/4 scale PFs (before they were known as such) of both Zaius and Cornelius in the same newsletter as they announced their 1/6 scale line. Yet they NEVER materialized. I asked Mat Falls during SDCC one year and he stated that the newsletter was VERY premature about the announcement. He told me that he would be the one to sculpt the 1/4 heads and he never did. In fact, he was pushing for rooted hair for the PFs instead of sculpted hair since the Apes had a lot of it. They couldn't find a way to do it successfully so the figures were put on the back burner. So when the sales slowed on the 1/6 line, the plans for the PFs were shelved indefinitely.

Since then, Sideshow has modified their stance on hair for their PFs somewhat... what with Buffy's locks being sculpted as well as the hairy legs of Legend's Darkness. So... I still hold a candle for ANY POTA PF.

As for sculpted statues, I'd would be up for realistic statues in ANY scale... just not any Super-Deformed versions or some trendy tooned-up creations. However historically, the POTA costumes have proven problematic to render in cloth. The mixture of cloth, leather and glyphs (whatever material they would be made out of) has been too much for companies to handle. Getting the material right. Getting the odd colors right. Definitely and R&D nightmare.

So I would seem a totally sculpted figure might be an easier venue to undertake.

Last edited:
Gee you need to be a publicist ! ...

...My biggest issue is I dont know WHAT to do...personally Id love a line of 1/2 scale busts even more than full figures.

Just being helpful! :D

I hadn't thought of 1/2 scale busts... that is very intriguing! I might actually have the space for those, but again, I would probably need to see one to be sure.

Funny, Sideshow announced the 1/4 scale PFs (before they were known as such) of both Zaius and Cornelius in the same newsletter as they announced their 1/6 scale line. Yet they NEVER materialized. I asked Mat Falls during SDCC one year and he stated that the newsletter was VERY premature about the announcement. He told me that he would be the one to sculpt the 1/4 heads and he never did. In fact, he was pushing for rooted hair for the PFs instead of sculpted hair since the Apes had a lot of it. They couldn't find a way to do it successfully so the figures were put on the back burner. So when the sales slowed on the 1/6 line, the plans for the PFs were shelved indefinitely.

Since then, Sideshow has modified their stance on hair for their PFs somewhat... what with Buffy's locks being sculpted as well as the hairy legs of Legend's Darkness. So... I still hold a candle for ANY POTA PF.

As for sculpted statues, I'd would be up for realistic statues in ANY scale... just not any Super-Deformed versions or some trendy tooned-up creations. However historically, the POTA costumes have proven problematic to render in cloth. The mixture of cloth, leather and glyphs (whatever material they would be made out of) has been too much for companies to handle. Getting the material right. Getting the odd colors right. Definitely and R&D nightmare.

So I would seem a totally sculpted figure might be an easier venue to undertake.

Thanks a lot for that info...

I can definately see rooted hair as being too difficult to do at the $250-$300 price point. You probably have to go closer to Cinemaquette prices to do it right...lot of work.

I would sculpt the hair on anything i would do.

the costume would be challenging but definately do-able.

Hi Proto! How does the sculpt look and who do you plan on painting it?:confused:

I haven't thought that far ahead yet. I don't even have a body for the guy yet. :google :google :google

I still haven't got my Lawgiver back from the painter yet. :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

I have requested a couple of things more than once such as items and pictures and have been getting ignored. I guess that I have worn out my welcome here. It is time to take off for the summer. I could really use the break. Good by to all of you heavanly people!:sick

Sorry to hear it. :(

Have a good summer then... don't wander too far out in the Forbidden Zone that you can't find your way back to Ape City. :D

So what type of statue, in your opinion, is missing from POTA collectors shelves ?

Like I stated before, I would really like any full body sculptures done as realistically as possible. But if I had to say what was missing from my POTA shelf is would be some piece that conveyed the wonderful art direction from the first two fillms. The Ape aesthetic encompassed far more than just great makeup and exotic costumes.

So I would be interested in sculptures that were a little more immersive... perhaps a figure in a small diorama setting... like the Beneath Zaius standing next to the Bomb device... or Zaius holding the paper airplane with corner of the architecture of the room in the background. For a bigger scene, perhaps thethree organutans in the tribunal scene (just not that "See No Evil" shot)... Something that would be like having a piece of the film on your shelf.

Like I stated before, I would really like any full body sculptures done as realistically as possible. But if I had to say what was missing from my POTA shelf is would be some piece that conveyed the wonderful art direction from the first two fillms. The Ape aesthetic encompassed far more than just great makeup and exotic costumes.

So I would be interested in sculptures that were a little more immersive... perhaps a figure in a small diorama setting... like the Beneath Zaius standing next to the Bomb device... or Zaius holding the paper airplane with corner of the architecture of the room in the background. For a bigger scene, perhaps thethree organutans in the tribunal scene (just not that "See No Evil" shot)... Something that would be like having a piece of the film on your shelf.

Thanks for the detailed answer...that was what i was looking for.

Back