Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Protozaius said:
Well, I received my exclusive Dr. Zaius today from Sideshow... I can't believe that this LONG SOLD OUT figure became available again through their site! They must have found a few of them during their recent move.

Did anyone else jump at the chance at snagging another Zaius exclusive... or am I the only one crazy enough to buy another one?

Funny, this was the Zaius that I wanted Mat Falls to sign... since it was the very first Sideshow Ape figure that I received. :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

Which one did you get Proto? The exclusive was the one with the outfit that he wore into the Forbidden Zone. I didn't know that this one had sold out at any time. I knew the regular addition was sold out once and then re-listed. As a matter of fact, for a line Sideshow says didn't sell well, half of the figures are on second chance grabs. Sounds like they sold okay to me.

Hey all, I see that General Ursus Exclusive moved from Wait list to Sold Out!!

Dr_Zaius said:
Which one did you get Proto? The exclusive was the one with the outfit that he wore into the Forbidden Zone. I didn't know that this one had sold out at any time. I knew the regular addition was sold out once and then re-listed. As a matter of fact, for a line Sideshow says didn't sell well, half of the figures are on second chance grabs. Sounds like they sold okay to me.

This exclusive (the Zaius with the "glyph" gloves) was one of the first POTA figures to sell out... along the same time that the Forbidden Zone Taylor (which has yet to be offerd again). In fact, I had bid on this figure a few times on Ebay for the past year to try and score another one for Mat Falls to sign at this year's SDCC but the bidding went too high so I had to fold... every time.

Now, I don't know how long he has been available again at the site... I haven't checked back at the POTA section in awhile, obviously since there hasn't been any new items or activity on the section anyway.

How I found that he was still available was I had a $50 SDCC Gift Card that I wanted to redeem (probably for a Buffy figure) and I checked the list of items that I could use the card for and he was listed. So the new Zaius cost me only $7 for shipping (the gift amount cannot be used for shiping costs) Pretty good, eh?

Protozaius said:
This exclusive (the Zaius with the "glyph" gloves) was one of the first POTA figures to sell out... along the same time that the Forbidden Zone Taylor (which has yet to be offerd again). In fact, I had bid on this figure a few times on Ebay for the past year to try and score another one for Mat Falls to sign at this year's SDCC but the bidding went too high so I had to fold... every time.

Now, I don't know how long he has been available again at the site... I haven't checked back at the POTA section in awhile, obviously since there hasn't been any new items or activity on the section anyway.

How I found that he was still available was I had a $50 SDCC Gift Card that I wanted to redeem (probably for a Buffy figure) and I checked the list of items that I could use the card for and he was listed. So the new Zaius cost me only $7 for shipping (the gift amount cannot be used for shiping costs) Pretty good, eh?

I didn't know that Proto!! That is good info. I knew the one with the glyps on his coat Sold Out then went back to second chance but I didn't know that the Exclusive version ever Sold Out. To me, even though they all are not Sold Out right now, most of them are on Second Chance grabs. That means to me that the Apes DID sell well.

Dr_Zaius said:
I didn't know that Proto!! That is good info. I knew the one with the glyps on his coat Sold Out then went back to second chance but I didn't know that the Exclusive version ever Sold Out. To me, even though they all are not Sold Out right now, most of them are on Second Chance grabs. That means to me that the Apes DID sell well.

PZ and DZ, I think you are both correct. Outside nostalgic endorsement, the Ape line has proved to be very successful in many areas, if looked upon closer. The exclusive craftsmanship of Mat Falls, and the exquisitely low production run, will be enough to send this line into the modern day Collector’s Hall of Fame. Just look at the work!

POTAAPES013.jpg

stickman said:
PZ and DZ, I think you are both correct. Outside nostalgic endorsement, the Ape line has proved to be very successful in many areas, if looked upon closer. The exclusive craftsmanship of Mat Falls, and the exquisitely low production run, will be enough to send this line into the modern day Collector’s Hall of Fame. Just look at the work!

POTAAPES013.jpg

As always Stickman, you post awesome pics. Have you updated your gallery on the web page with any more pics? I usually keep a copy of your work on my hard drive with my other Apes pictures.
On the Icarus we were talking about, the master crafter at DD said that the ship he would make would be 5 feet long and 8 feet wide. He said he could also make a table stand to slide the ship down so it looks like it is sinking. The ship would have 2 sleepers and a ****pit. But it also has a huge price. But, since the SS Ape line isn't producing right now, I may talk myself into it and put money away as my funds permits.

"... and Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children would make sport of him." The Lawgiver-13th Scroll

Well, time to "make sport" of this silly beast. I did some checking around (looking at some past posts) and indeed, there is NO INDICATION that the exclusive Dr. Zaius EVER sold out. I don't know why I though he did... wishful thinking, perhaps? I stopped checking the SS site (due to inactivity) and saw only the Ebay sellers claiming that this figure is LONG sold out. And the fact that you don't see many exclusive Zaius auctions just hammered in the "rarity" of the item. At some point, the shady claims of those Ebay sellers became the truth. Wacky!

Here's a thread (dated back in September of last year) that I actually correct someone on the fact that Zaius exclusive is NOT sold out.

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4170&page=2

And to think I could have ordered an Exclusive of Zaius AT ANY TIME to have Mat Falls sign at SDCC. It's a good thing that I didn't win any of those inflated Ebay auctions!

Funny, how the mind plays tricks on you... :monkey4 :monkey4 :monkey4

Well, in any event, I did get the Exclusive Zaius for cheap, right?

And DZ, that Icarus ship sounds AMAZING!!! I hope that when you do finally commission the piece (perhaps after getting a significant tax return) that you post the first pictures of the piece here. This thread has lasted this long, there is no reason for it end any tme soon... or at all! :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

You find me now in an exteremly ecstatic state of mind. The pills must be working. I have recently purchased the Lawgiver statue/PF and now the free exclusive Brent figure, kindly passed onto me by Swoop, has arrived along with the Subject 5 figure. As promised I have some pics included.

I am extremely happy with the exclusive Brent. A much better figure than I realised it would or could be. The amount of accessories, I find, is adequate. Only his eyes are gympie.

I haven't been able to aquire many figures of late, so while I am saving for the PF Mummy, this booty is most welcomed.

Last edited:
Awesome scores! Man that Lawgiver statue is massive... kinda makes wish I had one, but seriously I wouldn't know where to put the gian mofo :monkey2

galactiboy said:
Awesome scores! Man that Lawgiver statue is massive... kinda makes wish I had one, but seriously I wouldn't know where to put the gian mofo :monkey2

Oh wow, you are really missing out not getting the Lawgiver. After I bought one for my house, I had to have another for work. So, I scouted ebay for a long time before I could get one that I could afford. I put him in my office at work. I deal with a lot of people from the public and when they all come into my office, it is only a matter of minunets before they see The Lawgiver and then the conversation begins. Everyone who has seen it is really impressed with him. The bad thing is I have Ursus, Zaius, and the Soldier Ape near him but they most never mention them. :confused: I guess I will have to break down and get another Cornelius (since he and Roddy McDowall are iconic to the Apes series) and see if he draws more attention away from the others. :rolleyes:

creecher said:
You find me now in an exteremly ecstatic state of mind. The pills must be working. I have recently purchased the Lawgiver statue/PF and now the free exclusive Brent figure, kindly passed onto me by Swoop, has arrived along with the Subject 5 figure. As promised I have some pics included.

I am extremely happy with the exclusive Brent. A much better figure than I realised it would or could be. The amount of accessories, I find, is adequate. Only his eyes are gympie.

I haven't been able to aquire many figures of late, so while I am saving for the PF Mummy, this booty is most welcomed.

You lucked out in getting a free Brent!! Did you win him off of the Ebay contest a few weeks ago?
I agree, I love the Slave Brent (and the Astronaut also) but WHY did they paint his eyes off to the side and so funky:confused: ?????

Dr_Zaius said:
You lucked out in getting a free Brent!! Did you win him off of the Ebay contest a few weeks ago?
I agree, I love the Slave Brent (and the Astronaut also) but WHY did they paint his eyes off to the side and so funky:confused: ?????

That was done to enhance the Franciscus resemblence. :monkey3
Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'm actually thinking of picking up a Burt Reynolds head and seeing what Brent might've looked like had ol' Burt said yes to the role.

There may be a new Ape head on the way.
I found this in Jim Maddox area on the Sculptor's Corner.
I know about the top two pix of the soldier gorilla, he's already in the garrison.
maddox64.jpg

It would sure be cool to add some more variety to the collection!!

Ironman1188 said:
I know about the top two pix of the soldier gorilla, he's already in the garrison.
maddox64.jpg

I wonder who the new head will finally be? I wonder if he will just be a back ground character or one that had a role in the films?
Do you have a link to his website? I would love to keep an eye out just to see who it ends up being.
This sounds stupid, but I have been thinking about picking up another Astronaut Taylor and some day have some one sculpt my head and put it on the Taylor Body and display it with my collection. :monkey5 I figured the Apes is what I am about; what I collect. Why not have me as a figure to display with my collection one day. :rotfl

I don't even know if its going to be made available to the masses [although it better be]. This is the page I found it on:
https://www.thesculptorscorner.com/Maddox.htm
I've tried looking at the photo and covering up the top of the head and just looking at the face to see if I could ascertain who it might be. I can't be sure but I'm leaning towards a chimp.
If I find anything else out I'll certainly pass it along.

Wow that soldier Ape sculpt is awesome. It really captures that iconic first scene when the Apes are revealed... still one of the coolest scenes in cinema!

DZ said, "you post awesome pics. Have you updated your gallery on the web page with any more pics? I usually keep a copy of your work on my hard drive with my other Apes pictures.
On the Icarus we were talking about, the master crafter at DD said that the ship he would make would be 5 feet long and 8 feet wide. He said he could also make a table stand to slide the ship down so it looks like it is sinking. The ship would have 2 sleepers and a ****pit."

Sorry DZ, I haven't been able to post any new pics. :monkey2
The Icarus project sounds overwhelming. :monkey5 Tell him to leave some extra room around the table stand to place a life raft, as it sinks.

I just bought some TOP FIN aquarium decoration Tree trunks for another diorama. I must say, the apes look great climbing all over these things. It's easy to pose them, and they look as if they're getting ready to spring a trap. :lol

IM, that sculpt looks interesting. It reminds me of General Thade. :confused:
Anyone else?

Last edited:
Dr_Zaius said:
It was from the SDCC chat. Word of the day comp. I was too slow. Swoop won and didn't have a need for it. I don't know why he picked me out of the chatters there, but I sure needed him. Didn't have any exclusive PotA figures till now, and I just won a Taylor/Nova twin pack for $45 including shipping, off ebay. Oh yeah man, I must have done something good somewhere, sometime in a past life.
:chew

Oh man Creecher! Way to go. Congrats again. I thought the reason why they did Brents eyes like that was for him to be taking aim, like he does before he dies.

TaylorBrentUrsus2BPOTA.jpg

Ironman1188 said:
maddox64.jpg

The newer ape head looks great... I just wish it was a chimp of the "John Chambers" variety. :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

Still, it will be fun to see how this chimp sculpt develops. :D

Back