Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all, repainted and weathered my Gorrila Solider i received on Friday.

This guy is awesome, i think he is the best figure i have ever got from sideshow. He's perfect. Great outfit, great scuplt and 2 cool accessories. Im going to be getting another on now and ive decided to complete the apes line as these are really good.

Decided that the General will be on a horse and im going to add another solider to the line up that there flanking him.

Order all 5 movie today aswell, im quite excited to find out what the other figure are about.

GorillaSolider5.jpg

Some fun in the wild's, meh garden.

GorillaSolider4.jpg
GorillaSolider1.jpg

GorillaSolider3.jpg
GorillaSolider2.jpg

Your gorilla looks fantastic! Can you get a closeup of his face? I want to see the various nuances of the paint job. Did you redo the eyes? He looks really mean. I loved your repaint--he is quite vicious looking.

What other figures are you purchasing?

How long did it take to repaint this gorilla?

Ian1138...if you purchase General Ursus, I HIGHLY recommend that you purchase a cast of Angel's helmet. The helmet he came with from SS does not do the great general any justice....and you also need to exchange/extend the leather flap...

Last night I removed all the paint from the Orangutan President and now I'm thinking about doing a little painting. It's also about time for me to devote some serious time to Armando. These heads have been with me for way too long!

Painting flesh... it makes me wanna scream. :horror

I just know that I'll be at it for MANY hours trying to get it right. Getting started or getting it right, I'm not sure which is harder for me. :duh

Good luck, Angel. I have already peeled/washed my Mego Cornelius three times. I have purchased different paint colors but have not had the nerve to try again. My plan for today is to just finish out those costumes so I can send them all out at the same time so nobody feels like I left them out or anything...and then dye the fabric and get the color right.

Ian1138-Very nice paint job!
The little shine on the nose & mouth gives a cool lifelike appearance.The weathering to the suit looks good as well.I like how you made the boots look "worn" & "broken in".
What paint's do you use?

Your gorilla looks fantastic! Can you get a closeup of his face? I want to see the various nuances of the paint job. Did you redo the eyes? He looks really mean. I loved your repaint--he is quite vicious looking.

What other figures are you purchasing?

How long did it take to repaint this gorilla?

Glad everyone likes him, i got to say i really like this figure, sideshow really show what they can do with this guy.

GorillaSolider6.jpg

This is the best i could do as a closeup, too close makes his eye look wrong and had to use a flash.

Did'nt take me that long to paint, maybe 2 hours total. I sprayed the head black with citidel chaos black then worked onto of that adding the layers that was needed and the eyes i did try and painting angry, make him mean and intimidating. I use the citidal, games workshop paint.

Going to try and get every figure in the line if i can,not too worried about exclusive as im not a box collector. Going to be doing the chimps next, those are 2 quality figures.

Ive been looking a Angleofmusic post which ive only gone about a quarter of this thread back so far, really like those open mouth apes you've gone.

Last edited:
Anyone got a good site where i can see some referance pics?

Ive been looking for a book but can't seem to find any avaiable, ones with lots of pics and how the films were made. You get alot for star wars, LOTR etc but haven'tfound one for apes. There must be some sort of chronicles book available?

Ada must be making so much money on her sculpts that she has the luxury of ignoring other buyers such as myself. It shouldn't be this difficult to give someone money for painted sculpts. Oh well! That's what happens when you get to big. "Too big for your britches"!:confused:

Anyone got a good site where i can see some referance pics?

Ive been looking for a book but can't seem to find any avaiable, ones with lots of pics and how the films were made. You get alot for star wars, LOTR etc but haven'tfound one for apes. There must be some sort of chronicles book available?

I don't think there's a book out there with lots of colored photos. One of the best sites for good ape eye candy is Hunter's site:

https://pota.goatley.com/

This site has some nice ape screen captures:

https://www.worldoflongmire.com/features/apes/apes.html

Here's some interesting stuff:
https://www.contactmusic.com/new/home.nsf/webpages/planetoftheapes35thingsx19x04x04

I think reading this book got me back into this monkey business:
https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Apes-Revisited-Behind-Scenes/dp/0312252390

I dyed some fabric. I tried to iron it, but I didn't want to iron out the wrinkles of the crinkled cotton, which is exactly why the fabric is perfect for Virdon's shirt. It's going through the dryer now. It's a little bit darker brown as opposed to the red dirt brown (like iron-rich volcanic soils of Hawaii or the soil in the Rift Valley in Kenya) than the fabric I found, but it's a reddish brown. I think it will do.

Ada must be making so much money on her sculpts that she has the luxury of ignoring other buyers such as myself. It shouldn't be this difficult to give someone money for painted sculpts. Oh well! That's what happens when you get to big. "Too big for your britches"!:confused:

She doesn't sound like she's living the rich life from her art though. I would really like to know her better but you just can't expect anything beyond two words. Let's just say it's a one-sided conversation. At least her reply is in English and not in a grunt, right?

Last edited:
Jess - I didn't find time to do anything I wanted to do. I had a list of "honey dos" from Denise and a lengthy car trip to make...

Now I'm just not in the mood to paint. However, I did manage to iron-on my apes heat transfer to my new shirt! I like it!
:angelsmil

That looks great!! I should try to find something like that. I need to bang out the silkscreens. It's just the cleanup part that's not so fun.

:fireworks SNICK - I just finished your ape wagon and it is now officially done! :fireworks

Now I need to find me a BIG box to put it in and off she goes! :chew:chew:chew

Here are the last pictures I'll ever take of this beast. I mounted the brake pads, put the "cotter pins" at the end of each axle, installed the brake handle, put my orange apoxy all over this thing, mounted both rear doors with hinges, created a couple "steps" so the driver can get in the riders seat easily, and a few other things...

Snick - You'll need to get a whip, and a knife, to mount on the wagon. Then it's up to you to get this bugger painted!

Last edited:
Angel, that looks so frickin' wonderful! Congratulations!!!! What an accomplishment! Everything looks fantastic. :banana:banana:banana Can't wait to see photos of this beast after it's been painted! :monkey5:monkey5:monkey5

Back