Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ironman1188 said:
At last!!! More from Chris Hight!!

DSC005642.jpg

I was hoping to see some custom work using the Sideshow figures as a base for them. I'd like to see more pictures of the Cornelius with added hair... it looks interesting. Perhaps some shots with less flash and more natural light? :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

Last edited:
Ok, I heard back from Chris. He's not doing any "hairing" at the present time. If/when he starts again he will let me know and I will post it here for any and all who may be interested.

Save the Planet of the Apes!!! Intro

Hi, I just joined and wanted to say hello. I really enjoyed reading the first 92 pages of this thread and wanted to thank ironman1188 for directing me to this discussion. From what I've read, I hope there is a sequel to the much maligned Tim Burton Planet of the Apes picture, just in case it increases interest or the possibility of a few new releases from the original series of films or the tv series. I wish the releases had been spanned out a bit more and better advertised. They probably would have been better sellers had there been a little time lag between new offerings. What happened with the Brent sculpts? I don't see the James Franciscus likeness from pictures. Maybe it bears more resemblance in person? The only Sideshow POTA figure I have right now is General Ursus. I'm just curious if anyone has tried flocking one of the gorillas, and what it looked like or how it turned out. I know it wouldn't be as realistic as the results of gluing rooted hair on the gorilla, but for $10 plus shipping investment it might be cool to have a few gorilla soldiers with salt & pepper hair, brown, black, or an orangutan with blonder or redder fuzz head for some variety. My past forays at painting lead to disasterous results so I'd be afraid to ruin one of the gorillas I have on order if I botched the job painting the face brown, although the contrast looks great on the figures guys here have retouched. I saw ironman's commendable stab at Virdon and Burke. What figures have longer hair that could also be used for a kitbash? I saw a 12" Sahara figure, I think Steve Zahn's character, that had longer windswept blond hair that might be passable for Virdon, although the sculpt itself would be off. Since I haven't received my Caesar or Cornelius yet, are they two distinct headsculpts? As for a dream sheet, I'd like to see Virdon and Burke released. Maybe a 3 pack of Monkey suits, re Astro uniforms. I know people have said a 3 pack of apes figures would be a hard sell, but the uniforms alone wouldn't weigh much, could be in thinner boxes, at a lower price oint and possibly sell out. One can always hope, right? The rest I could probably kitbash. Which would be better for a Galen bash, if anyone has a preference? I'm looking forward to the 26 POTA figures I ordered, arriving.:monkey4

Welcome ActionTrooper!!!
The Brent sculpt? It looks no better in person than in the pix. There were two reasons given, you take your choice as to which you want to go with.
I haven't seen any flocked apes as of yet. Not sure how that would work?
I painted one gorilla face brown and it came out ok, Not too detailed due to my lack of painting skills but a nice change nonetheless.
As for Virdon and Burke, thanks!! I tried my best with what was obtainable. The Kick-o-mania figures I mentioned still look like the best option if I could ever get my hands on them.
Cornelius and Caesar are two different sculpts [thank god]
Extra apes or outfits? From your lips to Sideshow's R&D department head's ears.

Welcome Actiontrooper... and welcome to the discussion. We could use another voice in this thread I call home.:D

Geez, if you tried perusing through all 93 pages of this thread you must be an Ape fan. :lol Everytime I think about trying to access a past post in this thread I get a sense of vertigo. :monkey4 :monkey4 :monkey4

So you have 26 POTA shipping... GADS!!! That's one way to jump start your Ape garrison! If I may be so bold as to ask what's you have coming? :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

Instant army

Right now I have 1 Sideshow Ursus and 2 Hasbro Gorilla Sergeants. Hopefully my order went through that I placed a few days ago. I think I ordered 8 Gorilla Soldiers. 4 Astronaut Taylors, 4 Mutant leaders, 2 Taylor Nova sets, Cornelius, Caesar, Zira, Dr. Zaius, Astronaut Brent. I may have left out one or two figures (multiple Zaius, Cornelius or Caesar?). I also won an auction for 8-10 Hasbro apes that I was planning on using for kitbashes. Now that I have a Hasbro gorilla on hand, are his glove/ hands removeable? I'm afraid they'll snap off. I was hoping to swap the bodies for Classic Collection bodies or something more poseable. I also can't get the tunic of the Hasbro gorilla without removing the gloved hands. Anyone try this successfully, or unsuccessfully? What was the Brent headsculpt explanation?

Sisdeshow Exclusive Zaius

I forgot to bid on a MIB SSE Zaius on ebay. It went for $9.99 plus reasonable shipping under $10. Hopefully, someone on this board was the lucky winner. I just wanted him for a tribunal panel. I want to use a few different variants of Orangutans.

Galen kitbash?

I wonder , since Caesar and Cornelius have different headscupts (thanks for the good news) if a quick swap of the outfit with minor alterations could produce Galen and an anonymous Chimp.

The Kick-o-mania figures

ironman, are there any online pics of these figure/ headsculpts? I don't know if I asked you what you thought of the Steve Zahn Sahara figure headsculpt. The face wouldn't be much good but the hair is a bit longer and windswept/ uncombed, unlike most 1:6 sculpts. It is an Ultimate Soldier head, so I don't know what it would be compatable with. It's sold head only for $7.99 plus shipping. Can links be posted here? I don't know the board etiquette.

Removing sideshow heads

The only previous Sideshow figures I've had were James Bond figures, and a few military, I didn't mess with. I was looking at how easy/ difficult it would be to remove Ursus's head. The inside of the head stretched out and I didn't want to break the neck post. Is there a small ball on the end of the neckpost that is fragile? Can I remove the head safely if I heat it with a blow dryer? When I get my soldiers, I'd like to get some flocked in different hair colors. Same thing with Zaius. It might look ok, then again, it might detract from the sculpt, since there won't be much detail to the hair. Maybe I'll sacrifice one to find out the results, before flocking several. Does anyone recall if all the apes on Planet of The Apes had brown eyes? I know Zira commented about Taylors eyes. Just wondering about creating some subtle differences for variety, since Sideshow probably won't be releasing anything new.

Re: Removing sideshow heads

actiontrooper said:
Right now I have 1 Sideshow Ursus and 2 Hasbro Gorilla Sergeants. Hopefully my order went through that I placed a few days ago. I think I ordered 8 Gorilla Soldiers. 4 Astronaut Taylors, 4 Mutant leaders, 2 Taylor Nova sets, Cornelius, Caesar, Zira, Dr. Zaius, Astronaut Brent. I may have left out one or two figures (multiple Zaius, Cornelius or Caesar?). I also won an auction for 8-10 Hasbro apes that I was planning on using for kitbashes. Now that I have a Hasbro gorilla on hand, are his glove/ hands removeable? I'm afraid they'll snap off. I was hoping to swap the bodies for Classic Collection bodies or something more poseable. I also can't get the tunic of the Hasbro gorilla without removing the gloved hands. Anyone try this successfully, or unsuccessfully? What was the Brent headsculpt explanation?
The Hasbro hands can be removed with a lot of patience and some needlenose pliers. The first Brent explanation was that it was too late to change, had been approved by the licensor and sent into production. When that didn't satisfy evryone [ok, it didn't satisfy me] they gave explanation #2 that the rights to James franciscus' likeness could not be acquired but that they felt he was too important to the film series to leave out.

actiontrooper said:
ironman, are there any online pics of these figure/ headsculpts? I don't know if I asked you what you thought of the Steve Zahn Sahara figure headsculpt. The face wouldn't be much good but the hair is a bit longer and windswept/ uncombed, unlike most 1:6 sculpts. It is an Ultimate Soldier head, so I don't know what it would be compatable with. It's sold head only for $7.99 plus shipping. Can links be posted here? I don't know the board etiquette.
You would need to do a search for kick-o-mania then look for the Lauth and Ballack figures. The Zahn figure might make good background fodder but I can't see it as any of the main "nauts" Post the link and lets take a look at him.

actiontrooper said:
The only previous Sideshow figures I've had were James Bond figures, and a few military, I didn't mess with. I was looking at how easy/ difficult it would be to remove Ursus's head. The inside of the head stretched out and I didn't want to break the neck post. Is there a small ball on the end of the neckpost that is fragile? Can I remove the head safely if I heat it with a blow dryer? When I get my soldiers, I'd like to get some flocked in different hair colors. Same thing with Zaius. It might look ok, then again, it might detract from the sculpt, since there won't be much detail to the hair. Maybe I'll sacrifice one to find out the results, before flocking several. Does anyone recall if all the apes on Planet of The Apes had brown eyes? I know Zira commented about Taylors eyes. Just wondering about creating some subtle differences for variety, since Sideshow probably won't be releasing anything new.
The heads can carefully be removed. heat sometimes makes the inside of the head too soft and then the whole inner piece rips out. I've removed them pulling it slowly up the neck shaft attachment and working it around the ball at the top of it. I don't recall any apes with eyes other than brown in the original series of films.

Verdon & Burke

ironman, I'm glad I didn't know about kick-o-mania figures when I was assembling my Manchester United 1:6 scale figuresa few years ago. Otherwise I would have been on a quest to collect them all. One thing I do know from collecting older 1:6 European football figures is that loose, in the USA, they will go very cheap on ebay. From what I can see the hair is a good match. Here go links for the 2 figures you mentioned for future prosperity of this thread. Kick O Mania Micheal Ballack
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kick-O-Man...ef=sr_1_12/026-4769933-2202033?ie=UTF8&s=kids Kick O Mania Benjamin Lauth
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kick-O-Man...ref=sr_1_9/026-4769933-2202033?ie=UTF8&s=kids Cheaper prices, but smaller graphics in UK Pounds $16.99 https://www.footieshop.co.uk/catalo...d=206&osCsid=5d3395553ce8d3545b06189aafa39fd7 The Sahara headsculpt Al Giordino alone for $7.99 at https://www.onesixthdepot.com/ on the following page https://onesixthdepot.com/cart/product_info.php?cPath=96&products_id=7295 The Sahara Matthew McConnaghy Dirk Pitt sculpt is a poor resemblance but the hair is ok. https://onesixthdepot.com/cart/product_info.php?cPath=96&products_id=7530

Don't know if it's been posted already but Amoktime is liquidating Sideshow's inventory of POTA figures at really low closeout prices. All figures are $19.99 and the Slave Taylor/Nova set is $39.99 while supplies last.

Thanks for the K-O-M links. There still too high for my blood just for the heads. I guess I'll keep on searching!!
The Sahara sculpts do look like they'd fit into POTA, but not as any of the main characters I know so far.

Kitbashing Figures

I took a Hasbro Cornelius head and put it on a short body In The Past Toys Japanese Seaman for a juvenile chimp. Looks pretty decent. Maybe he'll be Lucius. I might try doing that with Zira or Zaius. Zaius's headsculpt wouldn't be pausable as a juvenile but would add variety and poseability. The Hasbro gorillas will probably stay as they are, since their gloved hands make removal of uniforms difficult. What bodies are compatable with Hasbro heads? I gave up and cut the inside neckpost of Cornelius to put on the ITPT figure. No amount of stretching could get it on the ITPT figure, since the ITPT neckpost was hard to keep still. What type paint can I use on flexible hands? None?

I would think acrylics would be the paint to use. I have used them on hands with no problems. The Hasbro heads will work on 21st figures as well as the Eversparkle ARMY figures. I use the ES because they have better articulation in my opinion and are a tad shorter. Captain Action is also a decent choice and already comes with monkey arms. The gloves aren't all that difficult to remove from the Hasbro apes once you get it down. And as long as you're not planning on reusing the original body. I have taken about 10 of them apart for reheading and uniforming.

Back