Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone for the encouraging words.With this being my 1st 1/6 scale POTA project,I really want to put the effort into this so that so that it would be worthy to be amongst all the other seriously kick ass creations of the ape city thread.So again,you guys"(& gal's) input is apprecieated & inspiring!

I'm hoping to be productive this weekend so maybe I'll be able to post some update pics within the next week.

JJ-I don't see why it wouldn't float,lol.It is wood & what MDF is there,it is sealed with the paint so there's no chance of it absorbing water.You would have the same displacement of water as a real raft would have,you know

Kfog-Jess is correct on what MDF stands for

Angel-man this is crazy,but the direction that you mentioned of possibly doing this,is very similar to an earlier approach that I contemplaited!
I was consittering this though-if I were to make a mold of this to reproduce it.I was going to look into this expanding resin that I ran across some years ago.It's a 2 part resin that that will expand several times it's volume(making it porous,like foam)& is self skinning(where with the expansion,it will pick up all of the details from the mold)....I suppose the best example would be to think of a Nerf ball.I do believe it is avalible in both soft & rigid densities but I don't know how it would take to being painted.Like i said,it would have to be researched a little.Regardless,it would float for sure.

I remember "MDF" from my art classes 20 years ago!! I don't remember why...I think we used them to paint on. I just remember those suckers are heavier than what you would think.

Enaud, forgive me for saying this, but I think it's so cute how you used a blue towel for them to raft on...

I remember "MDF" from my art classes 20 years ago!! I don't remember why...I think we used them to paint on. I just remember those suckers are heavier than what you would think.
Haha!Yep,that stuff can get heavy.Luckily with the project at hand,I'm only dealing with a 10" octagonal shape that's 1/4 thick rather than a 3/4" 4x8 sheet:D
You would be suprised of all of the different "flavors" it comes in these days.They actually make a MDF lite(sounds like some cheap domestic beer,lol)that is lighter than your normal run of the mill MDF.

Enaud, forgive me for saying this, but I think it's so cute how you used a blue towel for them to raft on...
Well.........I thought it would give a little more contrast than the black top of my coffee table plus give a little continuity with the paused dvd in the background(for reference)I just wish that it wasn't my only light blue towel...chances are it wouldn't have looked so funky.....becuase that one was fresh from the bottom of the hamper:duh

besides...there was no way that I could have gotten some of those angles sitting in the bathtub:D

What do you guys think of this sweater that I'm going to sacrifice for the chimp inner sleeves of my outfit? Do you think the color is OK? What about the weave? Should I keep looking?

IMG_4308.jpg

IMG_4307.jpg

Here is a photo snagged from Evilbay showing the detail of the inner sleeve:
8161_1.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that is a pretty amazing story, and the stuff he made as a kid is great! The wagon is on page 11 btw, for people who are wondering.

SpawnFan your collection is impressive...most impressive.

ENUAD - If you make copies of the raft consider me in. Sadly, all of my backpacks are being utilitized for another project.

JESS - The fabric looks like the correct material. I've pictured the sleeves having more red in them, otherwise, it's perfect.

The powers of ESP work!!! Cornelius, my neighbor, heard my calls. He called me today. He would like to start up on my appliances in NOVEMBER! I told him I didn't need a fire on it...that it could wait until January, but he says end of October/early November would work best. I AM SO THERE!! :banana

I'm am so working on my shoes this weekend!! I am going to use a pair of beach shoes and build them up.

Last edited:
I am going over to my girlfriend's house and we're going to rehair one of her Megos. As far as 1/6, I want to start on Snick's C suit. Probably tomorrow or late tonight. It's too quiet in Central City!!! I keep checking but nobody's on to chatter with.

Back