Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all...I'm new here and this is my first posting....I cant beleive this place exists..I thought I was the only person on the planet who collected the sideshow apes!

Sinve this is the best resouce of info I'm probably ever likely to find, I'd like to ask a question...just as the line was petering out, I'm sure I say an ad in a magazine for a Bearded 'Forbidden Zone' Astronaut varient Taylor. As this is the one peice I would desperately love to find, I'd love to know if anyone can enlighten me as to whether it 'actually exists' or not.....

I look forward to contributing here in the future, and its good to know I'm not alone!

Hi all...I'm new here and this is my first posting....I cant beleive this place exists..I thought I was the only person on the planet who collected the sideshow apes!

Sinve this is the best resouce of info I'm probably ever likely to find, I'd like to ask a question...just as the line was petering out, I'm sure I say an ad in a magazine for a Bearded 'Forbidden Zone' Astronaut varient Taylor. As this is the one peice I would desperately love to find, I'd love to know if anyone can enlighten me as to whether it 'actually exists' or not.....

I look forward to contributing here in the future, and its good to know I'm not alone!

Welcome Oxnard,
Yes it does exist and pops up every now and again on ebay. The final product was not "weathered" as the Sideshow pix showed. If you're not a Sideshow purist, then perhaps a Taylor uni and one of the custom heads, ala Angel for instance, would be your best bet.

Snick - Thanks for all of that! :) I cut Caesars' arms off so that I can make the silicone molds someday. As mentioned long ago, I can't cast him unless I removed his arms.

That makes sense. Ceasar is looking fine! Something like that doesn't take up a lot of space. We could probably get some clear nail polish and make the statue look like he's crying.

Jess - Luv the wig talk and thx for posting the link to that new ape website. I saved the link and will check it out in more detail. Evil-bay might have some 1960s wigs that might work.

Thanks...I dont think I have the talent for sculpting a beard myself...so my Taylor will remain 'clean shaven' ! I think about the limit for my talent would be masking off the appropriate areas of a Gorrilla soldier the spraying the rest silver for a Sergeants jerkin.

By the way, while you're around Ironman...whats the best scale horse to buy for this line? I've always wanted to pose my soldier with his arm and rifle in the air.......

Greetings Oxnard. Welcome! The exclusive FZ Bearded Taylor is no hoax. He's out there. One of the most elusive in the lot. The only downside is that he wasn't given the dirt deco as intended. He comes spiffy clean. Here is a quick shot.

Apes_livingroom_1_9_08_2.jpg

I really like that..I did a quick search of the board and found that no-one was really impressed by him....thats a shame. My taylor is in storage at the moment (We moved house a year ago and still aren't fully unpacked!) but if I remember rightly, the hairline is different too....

by the way when I mentioned the horse I asked about the scale...stoopid me! of course its 1:6! what I meant to say...which LINE has the best horses?

Oxnard, there are several brans to try. Marx, best scale for apes because the apes are not true 1:6, they're shorter. But MARX is the least realistic looking IMO. Then there's DiD (Dragon in Dreams) whom just made some "realistic" horses and go for $99. each. Jom, a member here wrote they reminded him of "My little Ponie." then there's DML (Dragon-Models) which are 1:6 but tend to be too big for the apes do to the apes size. Here are some old photos of my DML horses.

TayloronhorsewithNova1POTA.jpg
TayloronhorsewithNova3POTA.jpg

taylorNova.jpg
POTAAPES064.jpg

Taylor_Nova_horseback_FS6_still.jpg

Taylor_Nova_horseback_Dr3.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks stickman...I'm getting really enthusiastic about breaking my apes out of storage now and doing something different with them. By the way, I'm sure I have a sideshow Mulder knocking around somewhere...has anyone ever done 'escape' Cornelius in a suit and tie? I fancy having a crack at that one and it would be a simple redress.....having found this place I just want to join in now!

Here is a picture of DiD's realistic hores. Picture complimentary of Brent aka Musketball.

assortedpics017.jpg

assortedpics021.jpg

Thanks stickman...I'm getting really enthusiastic about breaking my apes out of storage now and doing something different with them. By the way, I'm sure I have a sideshow Mulder knocking around somewhere...has anyone ever done 'escape' Cornelius in a suit and tie? I fancy having a crack at that one and it would be a simple redress.....having found this place I just want to join in now!

Thats GREAT! Well, climb on board!

Our very talented Jessica, Jom, and Kfog are the tailors in the group. Jessica has indeed made a tweed suit for Cornelius.

The DiD horses have no mobility and remind me of the old SOTW Frontier heroes horses made by Formative International. I like the Dragon (DML) ones, but they are a bit big. Then again, a gorilla should be able to handle such a horse. :monkey5
M&C made some nice horses, and more in scale, that were included in their Power Team line.

Last edited:
Matt sent an updated photo of the ship. Thank God for the screen-grabs (ANG).

Snick - Matt sure is doing a great job on those dashboard pieces for the Icarus! I really like that plastic look he gave it. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all fits together and what the smaller pieces in the control panels will look like once done.

Last edited:

:welcome Oxnard! Glad to have you onboard and riding the Icarus! Destination: The Planet of the Apes! :angelsmil

Last edited:

Yes! Yes! Yes! I love your enthusiasm Oxnard! :banana:banana:banana

Welcome to the mix, Oxnard!! We are happy to have you here.

My first horse purchase a few weeks ago was a Thunderbolt. I like it. Someday I plan to recreate all its horse goodies with real leather and metal buckles, instead of the plastic it came with.

IMG_4227-1.jpg

Snick - Matt sure is doing a great job on those dashboard pieces for the Icarus! I really like that plastic look he gave it. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all fits together and what the smaller pieces in the control panels will look like once done.

Thx! It's amazing what can be done with balsa wood. Not to jinx the project but it's everything I was hoping it to be.

Stix - Luv the pix!

Snick, I think you should revisit the possibility of using this material for your new and improved Icarus!!

icarus_001.jpg
icarus_005.jpg

icarus_006.jpg
icarus_007.jpg

Oxnard - You really need to look at the choices of horses out there and decide which ones YOU like. I'm going to tell you something different than the other guys. I prefer The Johnny West horse called "Thunderbolt". It was made by Marx. To me, he's the only choice for the apes.

Welcome Oxnard... this thread is simply bursting with creative talent... and a better bunch of monkeys you'll never meet. :D

AndI agree with Angel... the Marx horse is the best choice out there. I had the Dragon horse and he was too big for the Gorillas. It just looked too odd for me. Taylor looked better riding him than any of the apes.

And I had a vision of using the horse for a certain ape in Armageddon garb. :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

Back