Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just received word that the artist I had hired to paint my orangutans has FINALLY finished the job. He says that painting these apes was the most challenging job he ever did.

Not too encouraging. :(

He is dropping them off at his earliest convenience which is next weekend. I will post pics of both Zaius and Angel's Lawgiver as soon as I get them. :rolleyes:

Ooooh!! I can't wait to see that, PZ. Please post some good closeups so I can see the detail!! :monkey5:monkey5:monkey5

Yes...these apes are pretty hard to paint...but I think painting in general is difficult. That's why I am collecting so many unpainted heads....:monkey4

Angel, just thought I'd let you know I ordered a bunch of nude male 1/6 figures (not Sideshow) to butcher them up and turn them into apes. The package arrived but I have not opened it up yet. I forgot that they will stand taller than the SS figures, but like I said, I am going to butcher them up and do some leg/arm surgery where necessary. This will force me to practice sculpting and will help populate my Ape City.

I just posted a comment to Sideshow to see if the exclusive Zaius PF will have a doll with both legs intact! (Their teaser PF Zaius photos don't show it!!)

I really like the details you put into this ape headJess. I can see the El Presidente in your sculpt. My only concerns are the Mego head is starting to look too large to be a Mego. His muzzle seems almost perfect, but it may be leaning to the “larger” side.

I just ate dinner and stepped away for a while. Now that I’m back and look closer, this sculpt really is an awesome work for a rookie such as you (or I.) The eyes seem too small though. What do you think? To me, the eyes don’t seem to fit this sculpt correctly. Try to imagine the eyes bigger and tell me what you think. :angelsmil

I used the wrong damned Mego, is what!! :banghead:banghead:banghead THIS is what El Presidente should have been made from:
IMG_4992.jpg

But THIS is what I made him out of:
Prez002.jpg

(It's just that I don't know my Megos. To me they look the same. Guess I can't tell humans apart...)

I will take that comment into consideration when I create his outfit though and make sure he looks balanced overall. If you look at El Presidente, he had a wider facial span than Dr. Zaius.
APE2.jpg

ape6.jpg

Yes, I was told it was the Mego Superman even though he does not look like Superman. Sheesh...can't tell these guys apart. I guess the spit curl should have made it obvious...To me it's just another human.

Angel, just thought I'd let you know I ordered a bunch of nude male 1/6 figures (not Sideshow) to butcher them up and turn them into apes. The package arrived but I have not opened it up yet. I forgot that they will stand taller than the SS figures, but like I said, I am going to butcher them up and do some leg/arm surgery where necessary. This will force me to practice sculpting and will help populate my Ape City.

Hi Jess! Remember that the actors had to bend their legs to look more Ape like and in reality they are the correct size.:monkey5

Also, have you ever though about converting a Hasbro Soldier Ape and making it look better by repainting and resculpting it. You can also put it on a more articulate body.

I hope you got a real good deal on those figs. I bought about 10 figures (made by Dragon) about 2 months ago. They have all been all butchered up. Some more than others. Some of the extra human heads are slowly becoming extra ape heads for me. Nothing I care to even show just yet. :horror

I think after shipping/handling it came up to about $5 per figure. :monkey1 Don't know if that's a good deal or not.

Buzzybean, that looks pretty good. What doll did you use?

Someday I'm going to try to put one together. I have a doll that I need to reroot...which I hear is tedious, but I want to do it just to say I did it...

Well here's a quick shot for you because I haven't given you anything in a couple of days. I don't know what to do. The city is too big again and needs to go. LOL. Here's a shot to show a standard set up for me. I won't really get to do this often.

Give me a BUBBLE!

IMG_7877.jpg

IMG_7878.jpg

Well here's a quick shot for you because I haven't given you anything in a couple of days. I don't know what to do. The city is too big again and needs to go. LOL. Here's a shot to show a standard set up for me. I won't really get to do this often.

Give me a BUBBLE!

IMG_7877.jpg

IMG_7878.jpg

Tryptophan making me sleeeeepy zzzzzzz.......

Angel, I worked on my chimp shoes last night. I peeled off what fabric I had glued down, added some more of the crayola magic clay. Today I was really dying to sand down and smooth it out, but for the life of me I can't remember where I put my sanding block. Grrr.... The last time I had it was 2 weeks before Halloween, when I was sanding down some wooden dowels for the belt of my moonbase outfit.

So...tonight for maybe half an hour, I will start on the tall shaft of my chimp boots, perhaps MacGuyver some kind of zipper which will go on the back of the leg part of the boots, and "think through" the construction of the boots. I luckily have a lot of that yummy dark chocolate fabric...

I also have a can of 3M super sticky glue, so that I could adhere the cloth smoothly. I did not like the way I had to paint the glue on the first time I put the fabric down. It was messier than I wanted the outcome to be.

Last edited:
We watched Veggie Tales tonight (with the kids), and I don't know if you guys have ever heard that tango song, "the Manatee." I was really dying to do some Argentine tango and asked my husband to dance with me. He said I was crazy. I have three years of tango lessons under my belt, you know.

Back