Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG -the new re-do of Julius is rockin', I like him much better this time around. Lucius looks like it was sculpted by a pro to me. I think you've crossed the line...

Virgil kicks butt and Milo is beautiful.

You are a pro! Keep it coming! :angelsmil

Julius is almost done...just minor changes like cleaning up his eyebrows and muzzle area where I sanded, and closing up the gaps between his face and hairline...

dec2008127.jpg
dec2008128.jpg

dec2008134.jpg

Galen from the TV series.

Who is this human and why is he so damned ugly?
dec2008121.jpg
dec2008122.jpg

The glop for his muzzle was actually too big and I had to remove a little of it.
dec2008123.jpg
dec2008124.jpg

dec2008125.jpg
dec2008126.jpg

dec2008129.jpg

I have only one more human left in my box of 10 naked figures I bought recently. One of them is too handsome to make into an ape. The last one is mighty fugly. I have another 7 human figures in the office that I purchased this summer that I never brought home. I'm going to let my boys pick one each from the 12 inch soldiers, and I will convert the rest to more apes.

I also wanted to sew a little today but the stupid monkey wards sewing machine is on the fritz. Should I get it fixed or should I just get a new one? Decisions...decisions...

Julius is almost done...just minor changes like cleaning up his eyebrows and muzzle area where I sanded, and closing up the gaps between his face and hairline...

dec2008127.jpg
dec2008128.jpg

dec2008134.jpg

Jessica - O My Gosh! That "wavy" hair looks really great on Julius! Keep it up, that is fabulous.

Last edited:
Jessica - Do you plan on casting any of your ape heads? Dr. Milo, Virgil, Julius? Those 3 are my faves and I'd love to get a copy of these should you ever decide to get into moldmaking & casting. :monkey3:monkey3:monkey3

If this doesn't inspire some of us to try making our own apes... nothing will. If anything, just make some generic apes. I have some human heads that are pretty useless to me. I'm going to try making some new apes using them just as Jessica did. Thanks for the inspiration Jess! :emperor

Angel, you inspired me to do just this when I saw how you made Elta. Now, that was very ingenious! I am only doing these apes because Sideshow doesn't look like they'll be making any more 1/6 apes, unfortunately... I don't have a lifetime to wait for more 1/6 apes. And, Mego apes lack the movie accuracy that I prefer.

My other plan is someday to shrink these sculpts to fit Mego scale, most especially because the gorilla Megos are hideously fugly.

Human fodder (naked) for the apes hunched over is how I'm going to make my Ape City. I just have to figure out how to replicate the gorilla boots and I think I have a plan but until I do it, it's just "theory." As you know, sewing the costumes for me is no biggie. This is the only way for me to seriously build up my Ape City without spending lots of ca$h...

Jessica - Do you plan on casting any of your ape heads? Dr. Milo, Virgil, Julius? Those 3 are my faves and I'd love to get a copy of these should you ever decide to get into moldmaking & casting. :monkey3:monkey3:monkey3

If this doesn't inspire some of us to try making our own apes... nothing will. If anything, just make some generic apes. I have some human heads that are pretty useless to me. I'm going to try making some new apes using them just as Jessica did. Thanks for the inspiration Jess! :emperor

I like using the various human heads a base, because I'm not good enough to make the eyes yet from scratch...but if you notice, the different heads give each sculpt its own uniqueness.

Yes, I'll make casts of whatever apes you guys want. Let's start with the one ape that most everyone would like, because the molding/casting stuff is so expensive.

I bought a metal file yesterday to help shave off the dried Apoxie of the areas I want to resculpt. I want to re-do the hair of Lucius because I think it's too big now. But the very cool thing is that my sister, who is not into apes, recognized my Lucius sculpt. She couldn't explain why she recognized him. She said it was his face, but really it's the hair.

Is sending the sculpts to someone like Lonnie from Frontline/HeroHeads for them to be casted a viable option? I know Josh, aka Darkartist81 just used him for the Baltar head. He has always been reputable and been around the 1:6 community for a long time. He even offers a Heston sculpt with and without beard. Most, if not all of the heads he sells, are sculpted by Jim Maddox. Anyway, it was just an idea as casting and such is what he does and the heads on his site are all reasonably priced at $10-$15 dollars each.

I am also looking at reworking my General Ursus nose/muzzle. Looking at photo references my sculpt is pretty off...As crazy as this sounds, I am also going to rework the muzzle of Dr. Maximus. I think I can do better that what's on there currently.

And Jess, if you want, I could send you some "blank" sculpts from humans I'm not going to be using if you think that those heads would be useful in creating more apes.

Is sending the sculpts to someone like Lonnie from Frontline/HeroHeads for them to be casted a viable option? I know Josh, aka Darkartist81 just used him for the Baltar head. He has always been reputable and been around the 1:6 community for a long time. He even offers a Heston sculpt with and without beard. Most, if not all of the heads he sells, are sculpted by Jim Maddox. Anyway, it was just an idea as casting and such is what he does and the heads on his site are all reasonably priced at $10-$15dollars each.

Jessica - There's no profit at $10-15 per head unless you're selling an awful lot of them. I recommend you sell them yourself. For the time you spent sculpting them, you should be rewarded. $20-$27 is still very fair considering you'll be making less than 4. That's based on my history of selling any given ape head.

Jessica - I'd recommend you make the castings yourself when the time comes. You'll enjoy it and learn from that as well.

Here's a couple apes I started sculpting this morning after seeing your beautiful sculpts. I'm using a green apoxie on them. It was on clearance.

Jessica - There's no profit at $10-15 per head unless you're selling an awful lot of them. I recommend you sell them yourself. For the time you spent sculpting them, you should be rewarded. $20-$27 is still very fair considering you'll be making less than 4. That's based on my history of selling any given ape head.

No offense intended towards you Jess. I'm sure you would do a wonderful job on casting them. And I certainly wasn't looking to cut your profits if, like Angel, thats why you're making these available to us. I was simply suggesting an option as I know you have a ton of things on your plate that you are doing for yourself as well as many others here in this thread. I also didn't say you should sell them for $10 - $15, I said that was what the heads on Lonnie's site sold for.
Anyway, it was just a suggestion.

Casting is not hard at all. It is a timely process, and an expensive process. Why should Jessica have someone else cast and her sell her heads? She can easily do this that herself, if she wanted to. I must have sold about 6 different ape heads since being here. Of those six heads, I sold (1) on some of them, and (at the most) three heads of any given character. People aren't flocking to get these.

Casting is not hard at all. It is a timely process, and an expensive process. Why should Jessica have someone else cast and her sell her heads? She can easily do this that herself, if she wanted to. I must have sold about 6 different ape heads since being here. Of those six heads, I sold (1) on some of them, and (at the most) three heads of any given charecter. People aren't flocking to get these.

For the record, he would cast them, she would sell them, unless other arrangements were made. I was merely suggesting something to save her the timely part of the process as I know how much she has om her plate. Cost probably wouldn't be affected all that much. As for not selling I guess that depends on whether its more important to her to get the heads "out there" and interest stirred or making a profit from the regulars here.

Jessica - I'd recommend you make the castings yourself when the time comes. You'll enjoy it and learn from that as well.

Here's a couple apes I started sculpting this morning after seeing your beautiful sculpts. I'm using a green apoxie on them. It was on clearance.

It's cool to see your sculpting, Angel. You start with the face wrinkles..then the muzzle...I always start with the brows...then the face wrinkles...then the muzzle and last the nose.

Something about the sculpt on the left...

It looks a lot like Maurice Evans in the process of being made up. Must be the hairline and the eyes. No kidding. Take a close look!

Back