Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am liking Hot Toys better and better. I have mentioned this very problem to them, even showed them a photograph so that they do not make this same idiotic mistake. They are going to forward the information to their creative team. Just exacty what they said when I submitted the Zira information, so maybe they are going to take it seriously, or on the other side of the coin they are going to toss it in the garbage. You can't say that I didn't try.

Hopefully Hot Toys is on it before any Dr. Zaius goes into production. I also mentioned that the Armageddon suit would look great with their General Ursus, since it is the very outfit that Zaius wears when they ride into the Forbidden Zone. Wouldn't it be cool if Hot Toys produces this outfit? What a dreamer I am.

What I like about them already is that you got a reply!!!

That SUCKS serious butt! :mad::mad: Stupid humans. :monkey2

:censored:censored:censored

Sideshow WTF???? :thwak

Actually this doesn't surprise me. These backstage videos usually use the prototype they have on hand. If they have made any changes to the costume it would be a running change that we would not see until final production.

Hopefully Sideshow has heard us concerning this problem and have already taken the proper steps.

I don't know if you remember (I don't think that you were collecting Sideshow Apes yet) but when Sideshow originally put their Caesar figure up for pre-order he had Cornelius's head instead. They later told us that the Cornelius head was only temporary and that they were in a hurry to put up the pre-order... and ultimately Caesar would sport a totalling new sculpt.

So things do change... for the better.

Hopefully Hot Toys is on it before any Dr. Zaius goes into production. I also mentioned that the Armageddon suit would look great with their General Ursus, since it is the very outfit that Zaius wears when they ride into the Forbidden Zone. Wouldn't it be cool if Hot Toys produces this outfit? What a dreamer I am.

I second that dream! :D

Actually this doesn't surprise me. These backstage videos usually use the prototype they have on hand. If they have made any changes to the costume it would be a running change that we would not see until final production.

Hopefully Sideshow has heard us concerning this problem and have already taken the proper steps.

I don't know if you remember (I don't think that you were collecting Sideshow Apes yet) but when Sideshow originally put their Caesar figure up for pre-order he had Cornelius's head instead. They later told us that the Cornelius head was only temporary and that they were in a hurry to put up the pre-order... and ultimately Caesar would sport a totalling new sculpt.

So things do change... for the better.

I think that Jeff B., a makeup artist extraordinaire, made that happen! I think he was very vocal at a toyshow, when he saw the Caesar using a Cornelius head. He made his disgust known to the Sideshow people at the table, and told them he expected that they would do something cheap like that...and then they exchanged some e-mails and ultimately Sideshow listened to a concerned fan. Isn't that a cool story?

So I hope that not only do they get Dr. Zaius's riding outfit correct on the PF, but they also have a complete doll for the exclusive--not something with its legs cut off like the one that came on the 12" figures.

I was so upset to see the video of the wrong outfit that I didn't accomplish anything ape-related tonight. I just really wanted to fling some poo.

This is the 1/6 child I purchased to convert to Arnie or young Cornelius. Before and after.
He just needs more hair around the bottom of his lower jaw...I had to cure the super sculpey in the oven before I could work on him anymore.
It was quite difficult to add the hair lines and not smush it with the sculpey not being cured. I put a butane flame onto the top of his upper muzzle/nose area to cure that section before I could add the lower jaw, which is why he's got that burn/dark spot on his left nostril.

I tried to cure it at a very low temperature last night, around 170 degrees but the sculpey was crumbly this morning. So I rebaked it at 270 and the sculpey did not burn and feels quite solid now. I was afraid to melt the vinyl or whatever the head is made out of, but it baked fine. The sculpey says to bake it at 275, but I went with 270 for 15 minutes.
IMG_5533.jpg
IMG_5540.jpg

Hi Jess! That sculpt looks great! I actually have that Anikin child figure and planned on making him into a Wild human Child. What do You think of that idea?:confused:

Last night I used a dremel for the first time ever. I didn't have any eye protection handy, so I rigged something for eye protection--I used a clear plastic dish propped onto the counter to prevent eye injury--almost like a glovebox but not really. It was GREAT! I sanded down Galen's hair (and will go at it again tonight), and I also gouged out my Lawgiver's eyes and sanded his nose off. (Found a great reference photo for my Mego-scale Lawgiver.)

Sweet!

Its been great to see everyone's sculptures / creations.
(...and everyone has been so nice!)

This is the 1/6 child I purchased to convert to Arnie or young Cornelius. Before and after.
He just needs more hair around the bottom of his lower jaw...I had to cure the super sculpey in the oven before I could work on him anymore.
It was quite difficult to add the hair lines and not smush it with the sculpey not being cured. I put a butane flame onto the top of his upper muzzle/nose area to cure that section before I could add the lower jaw, which is why he's got that burn/dark spot on his left nostril.

I tried to cure it at a very low temperature last night, around 170 degrees but the sculpey was crumbly this morning. So I rebaked it at 270 and the sculpey did not burn and feels quite solid now. I was afraid to melt the vinyl or whatever the head is made out of, but it baked fine. The sculpey says to bake it at 275, but I went with 270 for 15 minutes.
IMG_5533.jpg
IMG_5540.jpg

i have to give it to you jessica, you do some beautifull work! ounce in a while i come in here to check out your latest work. my hat of to you.

:bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow

Thanks, guys!!!

Kfog, that is a cool idea to do that. But what are you going to do with the feet? I remember Angel had photographed the boots after removing them, and you're stuck with stubs...there are no feet. Are you going to resculpt that part?

Thanks, guys!!!

Kfog, that is a cool idea to do that. But what are you going to do with the feet? I remember Angel had photographed the boots after removing them, and you're stuck with stubs...there are no feet. Are you going to resculpt that part?

Hi Jess! I will study that part. I think that with some type of alteration, I should be able to attach some feet to him.:cool:

Hmm...I am undecided what type of hair looks best. Left or right? I think this is the second face I have done of the same guy. The human looks familiar. Maybe he was my Dr. Milo. I will have to check the older threads. The black stuff around his nostrils are from the pen I was using to round out the nostrils. (too lazy to go upstairs and get real sculpting tools)!!

IMG_5543.jpg
IMG_5544.jpg

Found the other human!! The one to the left is what the background gorilla is made from. The one to the right is the human that I sculpted Prefect Barlow onto.
IMG_5542.jpg
IMG_5460.jpg

Last edited:
Again, awesome job Jess.

I believe that those are 21st Century Toys sculpts, but am unsure. They do look late 90's to me though.

Hey Where is Angel??

A little tip for you, Jess. I've been using Sculpey for over 20 years, so I've picked up a few tricks. It's best to bake it at a low temp(260) for a long stretch. I generally put the piece in the oven and then turn it on. By doing this the Sculpey heats up slowly, which makes for a better cure. I then bake for at LEAST 20 minutes, then turn the oven off and allow for a gradual cool down.Bigger pieces get a longer bake as needed. The slow cool down is essential to avoid stress fractures; probably not an issue on small pieces like you do, but good knowledge to have if you ever get REAL ambitious. You must remember that Polyform Products is trying to cater to the scholastic market, where time can be an issue, so they promote the faster cure time. Those of us who like permanent pieces go slow. Hope this is useful for you...PS

Jess, both those sculpts are from 21st Century and are the same head, just different hair/eye color.
I must say all your sculpts are progressing wonderfully. That child ape is exquisite. Will you be casting him as well? I just found three of my "child" figures that I planned to use for young simians, but, alas, they were so old that the joints broke, in a different are of each, on all of them. :monkey2
No offense to anyone here, but I would love to see what someone like Les or Josh could do on one of these custom apes.

A little tip for you, Jess. I've been using Sculpey for over 20 years, so I've picked up a few tricks. It's best to bake it at a low temp(260) for a long stretch. I generally put the piece in the oven and then turn it on. By doing this the Sculpey heats up slowly, which makes for a better cure. I then bake for at LEAST 20 minutes, then turn the oven off and allow for a gradual cool down.Bigger pieces get a longer bake as needed. The slow cool down is essential to avoid stress fractures; probably not an issue on small pieces like you do, but good knowledge to have if you ever get REAL ambitious. You must remember that Polyform Products is trying to cater to the scholastic market, where time can be an issue, so they promote the faster cure time. Those of us who like permanent pieces go slow. Hope this is useful for you...PS

VERY SUPER COOL!! :banana:banana:banana I will try this!!! I don't think I will get super ambitious and get any larger than these heads (no space around here)...but such a great idea and I will definitely try this.

Ironman--I'm going to be taking molds of all these guys simply because I will need the mold to make the casts to shrink them to Mego scale.

Jess, both those sculpts are from 21st Century and are the same head, just different hair/eye color.
I must say all your sculpts are progressing wonderfully. That child ape is exquisite. Will you be casting him as well? I just found three of my "child" figures that I planned to use for young simians, but, alas, they were so old that the joints broke, in a different are of each, on all of them. :monkey2
No offense to anyone here, but I would love to see what someone like Les or Josh could do on one of these custom apes.

Ironman--don't throw away those bodies. I'm sure there is a way to fix them.

I would so love to see a repaint by a master on an ape. I have only seen the French guy's repaint of General Ursus and Zira and that was so very long ago. Of course, the General Ursus is buried in this Megathread, and the Zira one is on its own thread. Oh...and one other repaint of a gorilla but the name of the artist escapes me...and of course Angel, too. Everybody's paint job is so different on the same character...I would love to see if the masters would paint the same character and see the different nuances.

I haven't discarded them, yet.
I'm no master but I do plan on getting a few painted this year. :monkey3

Ironman, the only way to get better is to start somewhere. So...get cracking since you have about 100 heads that need painting. :whip Before very long, you will be able to stand alongside the masters and maybe someday even work on the side painting heads.

Again, awesome job Jess.

I believe that those are 21st Century Toys sculpts, but am unsure. They do look late 90's to me though.

Hey Where is Angel??

I don't know. Maybe he is taking a vacation...but wherever he is I am sure he is working on a masterpiece that will take our breath away. Maybe he's painting his wagon????

Back