Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's amazes me how very busy you always are. Your work pace leaves everyone in the dust. It's obvious you LOVE all that you do!

I just like to keep busy. I have way too many ongoing projects. If I finish something, I've already started five more. It's never-ending but I love it all. The only thing is...sometimes I don't know where to start...and when I'm confused about which project to continue with...I end up on the internet.

Here's what's been keeping me busy...Zira's hairline steady marches onward...
hair001.jpg

This is the tool that I am using. Wayyyy better than the crochet hook I was using...and faster, too. I can do about 30 knots in 10 minutes now. You can see how fine the tool is compared to the T-pin near it.
hair002.jpg

Closeup of the hairline, and you can kinda see the lace:
hair003.jpg

This is about how much I can do per day. It takes about an two hours to tie all of the hairs long enough on this size of weft. I cut off the hairs from where they are sewn together and have to remove the short hairs which are not really 18 inches in length.
hair004.jpg

Last edited:
We had guests, so I could do NOTHING. Have not even touched a paintbrush...have not even completed a Mego outfit. Grrrr. I did put in one hour into the hairline and that was all I could accomplish today. So much to do, so little time...

Here is what's left of the Sideshow apes for sale:

Taylor (standard release) $20
Gorilla Soldier $55
Mutant Leader $35
Caesar (standard release) $35

Shipping is $5.00 per figure if in the US. Outside the states...you'd probably have to pay a little bit more.

I never pre-wetted my materials whenever I dyed them...so they were always splotchy and always making me frustrated. Apemania says to pre-wet before dumping them in color so that the colors will be even throughout. Huh! Never occurred to me to do that before...

OMG!! The King Tut exhibit is coming to San Francisco! I'm SOOOOOO THERE! Hell yeah!! It's been 30 years since I have last seen this...wow. I'm so freaking excited.

Ironman, I had to dig out all of the molds/casts stuff that I had been doing before I got sidetracked by my Zira outfit. I didn't realize that there were three heads I was in the middle of casting, so last night I added the rest of the rubber. Now the excitement is there again, wanting to see how the casts come out. I can't wait to get home and see how it ends up.

I guess you finally bought your Legos. Right?

No! I found a small plastic cup made by Glad that really works! I place two horns on top of the ape head that I am going to make a mold out of with the klean klay (for pouring the plastic and for an air vent)..place the ape head upside down in the cup and let it rest on its horns. I then fill up the cup with the rubber mold stuff. If the sculpt is too long, I create a wall of klean klay to deepen the cup so I could submerge the entire sculpt in rubber mold. I then pop the rubber mold out and cut out the sculpt with my kitchen knife. The air vents (horns) I created earlier give me an indication of where the face is. I don't cut the rubber all the way through to the bottom...I only cut 3/4 of the way....just enough to pop out the sculpt. When I want to create a cast, I tape the rubber mold shut and use the air vents for pouring.

I just discovered imprinting the name of the sculpt in klean klay before I pour the rubber mold and attaching this to the side of the cup...so now I have a way to tell what the heck the mold is for.

IM--that's A LOT of sculpts to paint, you lucky monkey! I really love to paint these guys...just don't have much time. After my wig...I'm going to really start painting my ape sculpts and start up again on sculpting. Miss those days...but I'm obsessed with the wig and I HAVE to complete it in...holy crap! SIX more weekends left before I go ape again. I want to finish my wig and my sideburns. I may have to stick with what I used before for sideburns.

IM--I see my favorite glue in the background. It is great for gluing small wounds...from my personal experience.

I use something I found at an auto store, for helping to promote adhesion of paint to plastic. If you coat with the spray lightly...add paint...and then spray again...do this maybe six times in super thin coats, it creates a beautiful skin texture. Once I'm done painting, I spray a final coat of it. I think it's by duplicolor...I'll have to check tonight when I get out of the slavemines.

Trek009.jpg

Ironman...the product I use is by Dupli Color, and it's called adhesion promoter. I have not heard any complaints from the people I have painted for.

Oh yikes! I overheard Ashton tell my mom yesterday that he was going to Ape City. With all of this effort in my wig...his outfit has been put on the backburner.

What do you guys think if someday I get enough nerves to go watch a basketball game in full ape regalia? I would sit near the court and not the nose-bleeder seats. Why wait for a costuming event? I just can't wait to go ape again...

Still plugging away at tying up hair onto my lace. I think I have put in 20 hours now...and I think I need to put in another 10 to complete the forehead. It's slowly getting there. When I look at it, it feels like I have done nothing...but when I compare it to an older photo, I can see the hairline has progressed.

I am limping today because I got a massive charley horse trying to reach for the bloody alarm clock yesterday. I don't know who was making more noise...me or the alarm clock. To add to the stupidness of it all, it was my new cell phone that I am still trying to get used to and I couldn't figure out how to turn it off.

Last edited:
Back