Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shompdog said:
Hi Kfog, at first, I also thought you were also responding to Angels call for help. Evidently, Jungle Jom and I were both wrong about that. I have read many of the postings here. I see that there are many people here who have talked about building the caged wagon. This idea goes back for several years here. I wish I had the talent to do something like this. It seems to me that Jungle Jom was only trying to help out Angel so we could actually see someone build this thing. Angel’s been sharing and helping so many of us. I think he is very capable of building this wagon for all of us to actually see.

I’m sure this wagon would be of interest to many ape fans out there, and I would have posted it here for all interested ape fans to see. I also found this auction while searching on eBay. I started looking for it earlier today just to help out. I would have told everyone here about this auction, its no secret. I look forward to seeing further ape stuff from everyone. Keep the apes coming! Ape power!

Very well put Shompdog! Let him have the wagon! That's cool with me!

kfog41 said:
I see that Angel is looking for wheels only! I have decided to purchase this wagon and was wanting to get some feedback on the correct scale dimensions! Any opinions? Thanks!

Hey Kfog41- I like this as a base for the slave wagon. I think you're on the right path. Maybe make the walls higher and get a few DML horses to pull it and you're in business, Nice find!

stickman said:
Hey Kfog41- I like this as a base for the slave wagon. I think you're on the right path. Maybe make the walls higher and get a few DML horses to pull it and you're in business, Nice find!

Yes! Through some straw on the bottom with some dirty humans and then your in business!

Whoa! Love that wagon Kfog. It has real strong possibilities!

Hey! I just received Governor Breck in the mail. I like really him. Did anyone else get him from Sideshow? He's not perfect, but he's close enough in my book. All he really needed was a black turtleneck and some skackles. ~Angel~ :angelsmil

Last edited:
What a great day! I just received some ape-mail from JUNGLE JOM. He made a customized loincloth for Landon before he goes off into the Hall of the Zaius Museum. Thanks a million JUNGLE! I appreciate your generosity! You did a great job on this and it really looks great on him. ~Angel~ :angelsmil

Last edited:
You're welcome

I'm glad you like how the loincloth turned out. There are very few shots of him wearing it in the movie. Except for the cut in the front I had to wing it.

It looks like it fits well

It's about time to work on the John Huston Lawgiver some more. Between sleeping in late, and goofing off on the computer, it’s just about time to work on him before the Sabres play tonight. Let me know if you need anything JUNGLE. Once again, I am very pleased with your craftsmanship. Thanks for the ape-mail. ~Angel~ :angelsmil

Very nice Angel. Are those your homemade shackles or repainted $ideShow?
Good luck on the wagon. Thats been on my planning board since way before this thread started. Too many projects, not enough time. :monkey2

angelofmusic2112 said:
Whoa! Love that wagon Kfog. It has real strong possibilities!

The Wagon has the look of the Apes wagon. I really like the seat and the wheels! I imagine that the height can be slightly ajusted to the correct scale. I would use brads on the wooden planks and you could possibly find the keys in a hobby shop.

Absolutely! Using the nail brads would really help give it that rustic look. The rivets (or brads) are actually on the apes wagon. The rivets would also provide the much-needed detail and would really provide tremendous detail. And the more detail, the better! The only thing I don’t like about this wagon, and it's kind of minor, is the large rear wheels. The front wheels are of a really good size being 6 inches, but the back wheels are 9 inches high. Those are BIG wheels! Those 9-inch wheels are nearly as tall as the Sideshow figures. They should be about 7-1/2 to 8 inches after watching the movie. This item is a real gem. The keys for the wagon can be made easily from metal coat hangers. That’s what I used when I made jailor keys for Julius. ~Angel~ :angelsmil

angelofmusic2112 said:
Absolutely! Using the nail brads would really help give it that rustic look. The rivets (or brads) are actually on the apes wagon. The rivets would also provide the much-needed detail and would really provide tremendous detail. And the more detail, the better! The only thing I don’t like about this wagon, and it's kind of minor, is the large rear wheels. The front wheels are of a really good size being 6 inches, but the back wheels are 9 inches high. Those are BIG wheels! Those 9-inch wheels are nearly as tall as the Sideshow figures. They should be about 7-1/2 to 8 inches after watching the movie. This item is a real gem. The keys for the wagon can be made easily from metal coat hangers. That’s what I used when I made jailor keys for Julius. ~Angel~ :angelsmil

I totally agree with the height of the back wheels. I actually found a guy who sells wooden wheels on ebay and may be able to make the correct size. Check out this auction!

https://cgi.ebay.com/Texas-Western-...1QQihZ006QQcategoryZ10034QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hey Angel! What would be the proper scale in 1/6th for the wagon in length, width, height, and wheel diameters? You mentioned 7 1/2 to 8 inches for the rear wheels. How about the rest? Thanks!

I'm not sure, haven't thought about it that much Kfog. After the Sabres beat the Senators, I'll give it some thought and let you know. Talk to you soon about this, it's time to watch the hockey game again. C-ya ~Angel!

Yea, I have the Phoenix Suns and San Antonio Spurs playoff game going on right now. Go Suns!

Ironman, Here's the answer to your question about the shacles.

I actually made those shackles with some chain I bought at Wal-Mart. I really don't like them and I'll re-do them as time permits. I know I can improve on those. When I nail, and I'm happy, it I'll let you know.

Here are some pictures of the keys I made using a metal coat hanger for Julius and the ape wagon. I felt like a mini-blacksmith as I crafted these. The second set came out a lot better. The second time around, I actually used copper electrical wire to make the skinnier keys and they came out much better. ~Angel~ :angelsmil

Last edited:
angelofmusic2112 said:
Did he actually say he would make wheels of other sizes or are you guessing that he might? I'll talk to you soon Kfog, I need to watch this playoff game! ~Angel~ :angelsmil

I just received a reply and they only make 10" wheels. I will keep looking though!

kfog41 said:
I just received a reply and they only make 10" wheels. I will keep looking though!

I plan on watching both POTA and Beneath the POTA today. I'm going to be looking closely at the apes’ jail wagon, taking notes, and making drawings. I also plan on building a mock version of jail wagon, using cardboard, just to see if it'll look “to scale” beside the Sideshow figures. I'll let you know when I get it done...

In the meantime, keep looking for other wagon wheel sources Kfog. Jungle Jom came up with a good one.

https://www.wildhorsebooks.com/Model wheels.htm

After I build the cardboard jail wagon, the dimensions of the wheels I mentioned previously may change slightly. It would be great if someone out there actually made them to the size we need. I'll know more about wheel size once the wagon is built. Talk to you once done, ~Angel~ :angelsmil

I think that you can go off of the movies by comparing Taylor while he is standing up next to the wagon. The wheels on the https://www.wildhorsebooks.com/Model wheels.htm web site look great, but a tad pricey at $27.00 per 7" wheel I believe. I have a friend that has a planter wagon with wooden wheels and may try to make a deal for them. They look to be the right size, but I need to measure them. I think that certain wood baby buggy's, wagon planters and things of that type can be found at yard sales and flea markets. The cardboard idea is a great one!

Back