Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jess...

The six remaining snaps will be included in the letter I am sending off tomorrow. I hope they will be included in an Ape related project!

Jungle - I'm working on the yellow-jeweled embellishments for the robe of Ongaro.

I should have some pictures by tomorrow.

Did any of you guys ever figure out what Mendez is (i.e. Mendez XXVII)

Angel, I'm looking forward to some shots of that robe. By the way who made up that name? The credits have the character listed as Negro, politically incorrect these days.

Did I miss something... I'm not sure what you what you mean about your Mendez question.

Jess...

The six remaining snaps will be included in the letter I am sending off tomorrow. I hope they will be included in an Ape related project!

But of course! Don't know what project yet but that's all I can put my energies whole-heartedly into.

Angel, Did I miss something... I'm not sure what you what you mean about your Mendez question.

Jungle - I don’t think you missed anything concerning my Mendez question. I don’t think there is a perfect answer.

Consider this. In BATTLE of the POTA, Mendez was the 1st in a long line of believers who expressed his beliefs about a peaceful existence, that war was senseless, and that the bomb had made the mutants “beautiful”. He was the first mutant who said that the bomb should be respected. He sets the tone for the future worshippers of the Alpha Omega Bomb that we see in Beneath POTA. I’m sure “someone” carried the torch with these beliefs for the next 2,000 years.

We do know that the other mutants followed his beliefs over the centuries based on what we see during Beneath the Planet of the Apes. During Beneath POTA, we can see that there was a Psalm on Mendez II. (It is in front of the organist during the revealing ceremony.) I am only guessing, but I trust there were others, by the name of Mendez. I’m thinking that the many busts that line the hallway in Beneath POTA probably say Mendez I, Mendez II, etc.

Angel, I'm looking forward to some shots of that robe. By the way who made up that name? The credits have the character listed as Negro, politically incorrect these days.

I'm looking forward to seeing both of these robes as well. I don’t know if they’re going to look good until I’m actually finished painting the embellishments silver.

I’m staying up late to bring in the New Year. I’m currently working on the purple robe of Mendez, so that I don’t fall asleep. You'll see them both tomorrow for sure.

I couldn't tell you who came up with the name of Ongaro. I think I first saw that name printed on my autographed card from Inkworks. Anyways, it's nice that he has a name, even if it's not reflected in the credits as such.

I was looking at the Yahoo apes board and they were talking about uncredited actors and it got me to thinking about what happened to Dodge, Landon and Stewart. I haven't delved into it too far so I can't say much for Dodge or Landon but our lovely Lt. Stewart (Dianne Stanley) is very much alive she didn't die in her sleep from an air leak. Here is a link:

And photos!

Here is something I put together several years ago.

2153460935_de9b73eea4_o.jpg

Yeah... there is something wrong about the embellishments. They look too stiff or something. Is there a way to remove it and start over? I do like the look of these figures with the robes on. What exactly did you use to make the jeweled and metal work?

You don't like the embellishments? Something’s wrong with them? :( It's the strings that I really didn't like. :monkey2

I thought the embellishments looked pretty cool. :cool:

The strings are too thick and very stiff, and are not yet relaxed. The strings/embellishments are not yet attached to the garment. They are just draped over the garment.

Clue me in, how can it be made better?

I don't know what it is about it, but it just looks off. Maybe it is the fact they are not yet attached to the fabric yet. Maybe the strings are too thick. If you could post some screen caps from "Beneath" I might be able to see what is bothering me. When I said embellishments I wasn't referring to just the jewels (in fact I like the size and scale of them) I was referring to the overall look of the entire attachment.

I wanted to share something that I just completed. I created a saddle for my Breyer Traditional sized horse. The picture in the background is a screenshot from the original POTA movie. I even put together the saddle bags myself, and sewed the outfit you see. The boots the soldier ape is wearing, though not in the photo, were also made by me out of real leather. Any thoughts and comments are welcome.

I am attaching another photo so you can see the actual saddle. I baked the tree from polymer clay and it's covered by two types of leather. The buckle was taken from my watch strap.

Last edited:
Hi Jessica! I think that the saddle bags look to scale and movie version. I used to collect the 8" apes for years and I bought a lot of items from Matt Sotis. I used the traditional style Breyer horses because they are to scale for the 8'' FIGURES. I even had the museum and Urko headquarters. The hunter Gorilla was always one of my favorites. I found a black wooly material that I believe was used as the horses blankets, but turned upside down. I also used to have the brown stretchable material made for the gorillas.:cool:

Beautiful work Jessica! Kent, you owned the Urko headquarters and Museum too? I originally sold them to a guy in San Francisco, and i understand they went to Australia. If i'm not mistaken, they are right in your backyard once again; in Scottsdale, I think. My head is spinning. LOL.
P.S. Happy New Year!

Well... I finished painting the blobular-jeweled embellishments for two of the interrogation robes. I'm pretty disappointed. They didn't come out anywhere near as good as I had envisioned. They're okay, but I was hoping that they would have be more spectacular. I don't think they really improve or enhance the robes, as they really should.

Don't knock yourself. You sound like a true artist, always questioning, critiqueing, looking to improve. I'm looking at this for the first time objectively, and it looks pretty damn good to me. In fact, an old buddy of mine, GoApeBilly, owns some of that jewelry, and it looks just like it! Who said "A good film (re. art) is never finished, only abandoned"?

Beautiful work Jessica! Kent, you owned the Urko headquarters and Museum too? I originally sold them to a guy in San Francisco, and i understand they went to Australia. If i'm not mistaken, they are right in your backyard once again; in Scottsdale, I think. My head is spinning. LOL.
P.S. Happy New Year!

Hi Matt! I sold them back to Anthony George I believe in Sanfrancisco. I also sold many items to a guy in Australia. I moved up to the 1/6th scale as you know, But I wish that I had enough money and space to have kept them all. I happen to work in Scottsdale (small world). Lets make more Apes customs!

Also, Mark. Keep up the great work. Matt definately knows what he's talking about. We have a great amount of talent on this thread. Happy new year to you all.:monkey5:monkey4:monkey3:monkey2:monkey1

I wanted to share something that I just completed. I created a saddle for my Breyer Traditional sized horse. The picture in the background is a screenshot from the original POTA movie. I even put together the saddle bags myself, and sewed the outfit you see. The boots the soldier ape is wearing, though not in the photo, were also made by me out of real leather. Any thoughts and comments are welcome.

I am attaching another photo so you can see the actual saddle. I baked the tree from polymer clay and it's covered by two types of leather. The buckle was taken from my watch strap.

Jess...

Great job on that saddle and saddle bags! Nice use of that watch buckle! I've used watch buckles for many years to make belt buckles.

If I may... It looks too much out of the box. I think you can improve it by weathering. So get out some sandpaper and paint, just don't overdo. A little weathering goes a long way to give items that proper used and lived in look. I would paint the raw edges of the cut leather with a shade of brown just a hint lighter in color of the leather you used. I would sandpaper all your edges to make them a little worn.

Remember DON'T overdo.

Jungle, good to know. So can I just use any type of vinyl paint for the leather...or do I have to use fabric paint?

Jungle, good to know. So can I just use any type of vinyl paint for the leather...or do I have to use fabric paint?

I have used neither vinyl paint or fabric paint. I like to weather and stain leather with some black and brown acrylic. I've had some success with my leather Nova outfits and Taylor leather loin cloth using watered down acrylics.

I suggest you use a piece of scrap leather and experiment until you feel confident enough to put a brush to your saddle.

OK. I'll be brave and try it out. You're right--I looked at it again and it looks too "package-y"--like it needs to be broken in (especially the saddle bags).

Is somebody going to post some snapshots of those jewels? I am curious to see some stills.

Back