SDCC 2011 Star Wars Predictions

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really find the battle droids entertaining in the CW show. They seem to have a lot of fun with how ridiculous they are.

I enjoy them alot more in the CW show as well. I enjoyed the Citadel episodes under R2's command. They do trade some pretty funny lines back and forth. I may have to get just one BD for the collection. I still agree with Surfer and his statement applies even more so to Jar Jar which I will never own one in 1:6 , 3 3/4 and whatever other format . He can't die soon enough.

I've been surprised by how much I like the commando Droids in the CW series. Great show overall. Always a pleasure to escape into SW for a half hour each week.

Complete and total restraint, just like Hasbro.

Picture74.png

Weeell, I think redecos are easier to swallow at $7 a pop than $120 a pair, yes? I could imagine myself perhaps getting some Geonosis BDs or Kashyyyk ones for Gree (and hopefully his troops??:pray:), but I cannot see adding a CW 'firefighter' BD to my collection. While repainting an existing figure is an easy and tempting way to turn a buck, I think there's a danger of oversaturating the market - except for the clones, we seem to be insatiable when it comes to them (myself included)!

But even with a popular base figure, there's always a danger of going back to the well one too many times: blackhole trooper, anyone? :pfft:

what may float one's boat may sink another. to me, it is about options... i would rather have the opportunity to choose than not have something be made available.

variants are needed to help "grow" the product line and continue to reach beyond it. they shouldn't be considered an "instead of". but more as a "means to"…

And when SSC finally gets that R2 and C3PO of theirs released, there won't be many complaints when we begin to see every color variant of astromech and protocol droid under the sun... even "dirty" and "clean" variations of the hero droids themselves.

:goodpost:
I do see justification for the release of so many clone variants, make some quick money is a nice side-effect to gain money into preparing more complicated figures. Clones, stormtroopers - they all have their justified place in the saga.

But I then MUST say, before continuing with another clone like Gree, they first should have released some true SW icons like our wellknown couple of droids. Still I am sad one can only choose between those crappy 1/6ers of Hasbro or ruin yourself with those Medicoms ...

It will be interesting to see if they offer a "folded up" version - that was a creepy and effective moment in TPM when the racks of BD's come out.

Based on the pics released so far, looks like the SS will fold up just fine. And can I just say that this scene is my favorite battle droid moment EVER. When the droids are unloaded, unfold dramatically, and then march, march, march...soullessly and unrelentingly. In that instant they seem like a very real threat, an army of mechanical skeletons on the move. And then Tarpals says "Ouch-time!" and deflates the whole mood. :nana:

Oh, and my point wasn't "NO variants", just don't go overboard with the BDs. I already see people b*tching about 'lame battle droids' (personally, I love these figs, 'bout time we get some droids around here!), I just don't know how much general enthusiasm there would be for redecos beyond a few of the higher profile ones. And lack of enthusiasm can be bad for a line in the long run, depending on how SS chooses to interpret it. S'all!

:lecture when you're talking Hasbro, that's 12", not 1/6!

But taking a page from the Hasbro Appreciation thread, Hasbro released THREE different attempts at 12" Chewie in only six years (two s_cked a__ and one was pretty decent) while also putting out every major character, every Imperial military figure, plus such offbeats as R5D4, ATST driver, Death Star Droid, ewoks and Garindan. Not to mention nailing Bossk, IG-88, Zuckuss, 4-LOM and Dengar for $25 a pop and a 12" tauntaun, dewback and speederbike to boot!

Sideshow announced the Star Wars license almost exactly six years ago - and they only just last year did Vader and this year did Yoda, and still (as of today) haven't released such absolute BASICS as Luke X-Wing, Chewy, Fett, bounty hunters, C3PO/R2, Sandpeople, Jawas, Snowtrooper, Biker Scout, any Hoth outfit hero. Which is... strange... six years out. SSC is a totally different company/scale to Hasbro, but still - these are the big money makers, right?

As much as I LOVE what SSC have done this past year (a huge improvement in variety and quality - really exciting) - and what they have ahead, both known and assumed - I had no idea when they announced the license that this would be the situation six years down the track.

Exactly

Again the occasional rehash is welcome, but seems lately it has been alot of rehashes.

Alot of assumptions are made as to what else we shall see this SDCC. If there is more to come I will be ecstatic and quick to praise SS. If not, more money saved..

Sideshow announced the Star Wars license almost exactly six years ago - and they only just last year did Vader and this year did Yoda, and still (as of today) haven't released such absolute BASICS as Luke X-Wing, Chewy, Fett, bounty hunters, C3PO/R2, Sandpeople, Jawas, Snowtrooper, Biker Scout, any Hoth outfit hero. Which is... strange... six years out. SSC is a totally different company/scale to Hasbro, but still - these are the big money makers, right?

You're very right! We need more Vader, Luke, Chewie, etc!:lecture

...and Boba Fett!

Back