Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (September 3rd, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Civil War suffered from a wildly convoluted plot (Zemo's) but it was definitely better directed with better action sequences.

I didn't expect 'stakes' from the heroes fighting each other but it was still wildly entertaining. Especially Spidey.

I distinctly recall being disappointed by AoU. Both the writing and the very poor CG -- entire sequences looked like well-rendered video game play. The farmhouse didn't bother me so much at the time, but there was just so much 'off' about the film. It didn't really fit so well with A1, particularly Hulk and Widow.

Years later I can look back at AoU more favourably, but I think it's because it's held up by the scaffolding of all that came before and after.

Which is what's going to tank the MCU if they continue to rely on that connective tissue as an excuse for phoning it in.

In my opinion they need to be striving for outstanding stand-alone stories and I haven't seen it get knocked out of the park in a long time.

Superhero’s fighting each other will always be better than Superhero’s fighting worthless robot drones. :lol

Looking at your name I see why you are defending AOU so much ;)

IMO CW is just a better written and directed film. It meant something to me to see hero’s at odds and that final fight between Buck Cap and IM was better than anything in AOU to me.

Plus CW had a way better film score. :)
No argument on the the superheroes fighting each other being superior to their fighting drones, but I’m not sure how you do an Avengers vs. Ultron finale without them. It did feel somewhat repetitive vis-a-vis the Chitauri battle in NYC, but thankfully there was no Phantom Menace style off switch lol. I do think you’re overlooking the abandoned shipyard battle that was combined with the SW-induced hallucinations - I thought that sequence was well executed.

Yes, he divided them but, as much as I enjoy the film, some of the plot details don't hold up under scrutiny. For instance, it never made sense to me why/how Zemo came to be so certain that Bucky had murdered Tony's parents. We're to assume that he combed through the Hydra files that BW dumped onto the web in CA:TWS and made the connection, but even if one accepts that premise how did he locate the video evidence of the deed? Was that in the Hydra files on the web too? If so surely someone else would have also found it and broke the story for all the world to see. If it wasn't & Bucky brought it back with him it seems unlikely that Hydra would leave it at the missile silo in Russia. IDK, to me eliminating any evidence of the assassination seemed more in line with what would have been Bucky's mission parameters, not bringing it back with him. And even if he did, there's the whole wiping of his mind and being a popsicle between missions that makes Bucky's memories unreliable intel lol...

Don't get me wrong, I still love CW. It's just that we can nitpick any/all of these films if that's the goal.
I always assumed Zemo, who had the book and a whole bunch of files didn't KNOW there'd be a vid at the base, but after combing through the stuff BW dumped to the web, and the book, and knowing there was an entire abandoned base, he knew he'd find something to trigger Stark. In theory he could've just e-mailed Stark a bunch of stuff, but Zemo needed to force a more explosive confrontation. And the movie does make a point about the info being encrypted, so it'd take someone like Zemo to be able to put the pieces together.

Not that it ISN'T a convoluted plot where any number of things could have gone wrong. :monkey3
Both my fav MCU films - TWS and CW - stretch some points. But IMO along with Ragnarok and IM1 are the best of the MCU, overall, along with GOTG1.

I didn't expect 'stakes' from the heroes fighting each other but it was still wildly entertaining. Especially Spidey.

If I'd thought about it - which I didn't probably coz I was too caught up in the films - there were moments when I thought Bucky/Cap respectively weren't gonna stop. Good stuff. Shame that the whole End Game Nat sacrifice just felt contrived to me, and I didn't feel much of anything. If she popped back from the dead, I wouldn't even feel surprised.

Last edited:
I always assumed Zemo, who had the book and a whole bunch of files didn't KNOW there'd be a vid at the base, but after combing through the stuff BW dumped to the web, and the book, and knowing there was an entire abandoned base, he knew he'd find something to trigger Stark. In theory he could've just e-mailed Stark a bunch of stuff, but Zemo needed to force a more explosive confrontation. And the movie does make a point about the info being encrypted, so it'd take someone like Zemo to be able to put the pieces together.

Not that it ISN'T a convoluted plot where any number of things could have gone wrong. :monkey3
Both my fav MCU films - TWS and CW - stretch some points. But IMO along with Ragnarok and IM1 are the best of the MCU, overall, along with GOTG1.

If I'd thought about it - which I didn't probably coz I was too caught up in the films - there were moments when I thought Bucky/Cap respectively weren't gonna stop. Good stuff. Shame that the whole End Game Nat sacrifice just felt contrived to me, and I didn't feel much of anything. If she popped back from the dead, I wouldn't even feel surprised.
Yeah, that's just it - depending on one's mood it's easy to either rationalize/accept Zemo's plan or shoot it full of holes. Like his timing the EMP at the power station to exactly coincide with when the UN doctor would be let in to interview/interrogate Bucky; Even if it was standard terrorist protocol, it's not as if they captured Winter Soldiers on a weekly basis and he had a standing appointment. Plus very little time elapsed between when Bucky was captured and when his interview began. While we're at it, why was the dead doctor in Zemo's room at the Bed & Breakfast? The woman running the place believed Zemo was the doctor, so it made sense that Zemo would have intercepted the guy before he got there and assumed his identity. Plus if the guy didn't live in Berlin, why would he be in town before being called to interview Bucky? A happy coincidence? And let's not talk about Zemo's having the EMP bomb in the room too, which he apparently smuggled into/out of the B&B undetected, then had crated up elsewhere for delivery to the power station. :slap Some of the plot details simply don't track, but we wave them off for the sake of moving the action along lol...

No argument on the the superheroes fighting each other being superior to their fighting drones, but I’m not sure how you do an Avengers vs. Ultron finale without them. It did feel somewhat repetitive vis-a-vis the Chitauri battle in NYC, but thankfully there was no Phantom Menace style off switch lol. I do think you’re overlooking the abandoned shipyard battle that was combined with the SW-induced hallucinations - I thought that sequence was well executed.
It does not help that they are drones instead of flesh and blood like the Chitauri. Sure both are CGI but you at least know that the violence against the Chitauri is supposed have some impact and pain… Ultron drones might as well have been flying toasters.

I really just don’t like AOU at all. Bad villain, bad humor, and a lot of meh and sometimes cringe action. I’ve watched it 4 times and I just will never be a fan.

It’s weird cause the trailer was so good and dark but the movie was forgettable

Odd learning there’s so much discontent for AoU, which I enjoyed more than the first Avengers. Don’t go shooting the messenger, I’m not asking anyone to agree with me.;) Also odd how Shang-Chi can’t keep interest in its own thread.

Shang Chi will not play in China because the lead actor criticized China in an interview, so now Disney will not get the China money, which was the whole point of making this film. :lol

Also, that means any movie that has Bland Chi in it, will most likely not play in China. Good luck to that actor getting jobs in big films now. No wonder John Cena apologized to China. He wants to work.

Also because Chinese people think Simu is ugly and their new ban on "effeminate" men. Women still take a backseat to men in China. So movies where men are emasculated by women won't go over so well with them.

Disney needs to prepare for the majority of new MCU and other Disney movies to no longer be approved for China. No way will the Eternals be shown.

Also because Chinese people think Simu is ugly and their new ban on "effeminate" men. Women still take a backseat to men in China. So movies where men are emasculated by women won't go over so well with them.

Disney needs to prepare for the majority of new MCU and other Disney movies to no longer be approved for China. No way will the Eternals be shown.
I thought I had read that the issue was the Shang-Chi actor (whatever his name is) was not Asian in the "correct" way, meaning too broad and not with the slender facial features they identify with. Essentially the guy wasn't "feminine" enough (at least using more Western terms).

I thought I had read that the issue was the Shang-Chi actor (whatever his name is) was not Asian in the "correct" way, meaning too broad and not with the slender facial features they identify with. Essentially the guy wasn't "feminine" enough (at least using more Western terms).
Not just in look, but behavior. Meaning men that don't act Masculine. Or take a step back to a women.

Shang Chi will not play in China because the lead actor criticized China in an interview, so now Disney will not get the China money, which was the whole point of making this film. :lol

Also, that means any movie that has Bland Chi in it, will most likely not play in China. Good luck to that actor getting jobs in big films now. No wonder John Cena apologized to China. He wants to work.
No Avengers for the first asian superhero too bad so sad lol

Last edited:
Some irony for me:

An effeminate masculine man.

Me wanting to see less of this "girl power" in a male lead movie but at the same time not wanting Disney to pander to China.

Some irony for me:

An effeminate masculine man.

Me wanting to see less of this "girl power" in a male lead movie but at the same time not wanting Disney to pander to China.
It really is an odd discussion.

Back