Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (September 3rd, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it doesn't have to be. It could have a 100% viewer rating and still be no one's favorite. It just shows that a large number of the reviews counted like it enough to be considered a positive review.
Yes, I agree it doesn't have to be anyone's favourite and I'm aware of how the viewer rating works e.g. percentage of people who rated 3.5+ out of 5. The comment was more to reflect that I find it weird that a larger proportion of people at this stage like this movie more than IW and EG which everyone was talking about and loved, while Shang-Chi is missing that buzz around me at least. My previous comment was badly worded.

They are weird, and now that RT has instituted the "verified audience" reviews, they tend to be even more positive. Still ... even the "all audience" score for Shang-Chi is pretty high at 96%, with an average score of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Wow, I get the 96%, but an average score of 4.7/5 is almost unbelievable. IMDb has it at 8/10 from 50k reviews which I believe is a more reasonable score. No judgement from me though until I see the movie.

Well watching the Critical Drinker :monkey3 :D relaxed any need for me to see any time soon. And it's not like he outright condemns it; it's a thoughtful commentary. I shouldn't have since it's a spoiler review, but I just didn't care. I dunno. There's nothing I've heard that makes me excited about this film. Just seems like something I've seen before.

I'll watch whenever.
Yeah, I listened to his review and it didn't make me overly excited, but upon seeing the positive feedback from normal people, I might watch it this weekend. I don't like to make opinions until I've seen something.

CW is still a pretty outstanding movie and in certain ways remains better than AOU but in other ways AOU tops it.

Lets just agree that both are great and WW84/TSS are not lol

You and I will never see eye to eye on ZSJL though still the best superhero movie of 2021 with Shang coming 2nd.
Man.. I think CW destroys AOU in every way.

Ultron is up there with the worst villains in the MCU.
The final battle was JWJL final bad.

it has a scene or two that make it barley worth a rewatch.

All of the humor in it is cringe with the exception of a joke or two.

CW is top 5 Marvel. How are people even comparing this film to that one.

Hmmmm... TOP 5 Marvel:

Infinity War
Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers
Captain America: The First Avenger

Nope.... not seeing Civil War up there.

:)

Top 5 mcu movies .
iron man
Infinity war
Civil war
Black panther
Endgame

Man.. I think CW destroys AOU in every way.

Ultron is up there with the worst villains in the MCU.
The final battle was JWJL final bad.

it has a scene or two that make it barley worth a rewatch.

All of the humor in it is cringe with the exception of a joke or two.

CW is top 5 Marvel. How are people even comparing this film to that one.
Ultron definitely sucks ass. The cringe humor and by the numbers mcu flick was all over age of ultron. Such a soulless movie. Felt so empty and hollow. Just felt like a boring action fest where you don’t care what’s happening.

ultron was the worst. Definition of cringe mcu humor.

Actually it is very different than anything from the MCU and offers an interesting juxtaposition between Stark and his father and Shang with his.

Shang’s motivations are quite unique for a villain because his comes from someone who actually gave up his life of crime but is forced back into that life including an abusive indoctrination of his son in an attempt to get back what he desired most.

Skip BW but not this it’s worth a watch.
Fair enough. Don't always agree with the Drinker but appreciate the guy's sharp intelligence. Also, when a film is just bad, he's hilarious.

Yeah, I listened to his review and it didn't make me overly excited, but upon seeing the positive feedback from normal people, I might watch it this weekend. I don't like to make opinions until I've seen something.

*Shrug* stuff that bothers a reviewer may or may not bother me. Maybe part of the problem IMO the trailers didn't do much, at least for someone who knows little or nothing about this character. At least for me.

Ultron definitely sucks ass. The cringe humor and by the numbers mcu flick was all over age of ultron. Such a soulless movie. Felt so empty and hollow. Just felt like a boring action fest where you don’t care what’s happening.

Lol and don't agree with everyone here either. I like AOU and appreciate it more as time went on. Like Ultron, and IMO some absolutely stellar interactions. Vision. Some complete heave-inducing cringe (NatBruce) and stupidity (Quicksilver) but a huge production and some great stuff too. Plus an appreciated dose of creepiness with the flashback scenes.

Last edited:
Fair enough. Don't always agree with the Drinker but appreciate the guy's sharp intelligence. Also, when a film is just bad, he's hilarious.

*Shrug* stuff that bothers a reviewer may or may not bother me. Maybe part of the problem IMO the trailers didn't do much, at least for someone who knows little or nothing about this character. At least for me.
The movie it’s actually so much more than what was in those horrible trailers which is actually a good thing when you think about it.

In a way the Mandarin in this movie is almost like Frank Castle whereas he’s super happy with his family and then the mob (literally) comes knocking at his front door to **** **** up.

Just like Castle he was a warrior before getting married and having kids.

He takes it one step further and tries to make his son into the Punisher himself and
he actually succeeded which you learn with the big reveal that Shang went ahead and completed the revenge murder that his father requested of him!

Last edited:
Hmmmm... TOP 5 Marvel:

Infinity War
Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers
Captain America: The First Avenger

Nope.... not seeing Civil War up there.

:)
At least AOU isn't in there also :)

1. The Avengers
2. The Winter Soldier
3. Infinity War (Might be #1 or #2 if I liked its follow up more)
4. Civil War (There it is) ;)
5. The Incredible Hulk (Hulk bias on full display)

Yep. Pretty much agree with everything.

AOU was such a massive disappointment after that outstanding trailer.

Hawkeye and BW taking a drive and talking about remodeling his house while the city is falling apart around them.
Cap's "What did you say I didnt hear you" line

Vomit creating moments right there. Some of, if not the worst writing in the MCU

At least AOU isn't in there also :)

1. The Avengers
2. The Winter Soldier
3. Infinity War (Might be #1 or #2 if I liked its follow up more)
4. Civil War (There it is) ;)
5. The Incredible Hulk (Hulk bias on full display)
I don't care what anyone says, TIH had a great story and Edward Norton is a great actor. Still wish Norton played ball, would have gotten some big paychecks and be part of a great unit. Norton and Downey back and forth would have been elite level.

Hawkeye and BW taking a drive and talking about remodeling his house while the city is falling apart around them.

Vomit creating moments right there. Some of, if not the worst writing in the MCU
Especially that ****** black widow hulk romance

Sheesh overkill no lol

Or how about Pym not creating Ultron? Couldn't have him involved in some form? Really would fit the killer robot mentality with Pym rather than Stark. Surprised Ultron wasn't guzzling beer or trying to bang a bunch of chicks.

ED2DABA1-F1DD-4C4A-821F-18BC455F3E39.jpeg

Thought this was a commentary on the movie … then I saw the other one. 🤔🤣
C9375BFF-8121-4BC3-95C2-811270B465CA.jpeg

I don't care what anyone says, TIH had a great story and Edward Norton is a great actor. Still wish Norton played ball, would have gotten some big paychecks and be part of a great unit. Norton and Downey back and forth would have been elite level.
I find it to be a very solid offering and while it does not feel a part of the MCU, I don’t think that’s a bad thing. If the Hulk CG was Avengers level it would possibly be my 2nd fav.

Norton is the better Banner accept for MR’s portrayal in Avengers.

There are many moments ripped out of the comics in this one also. Underrated for sure but I am never sure if it’s my Hulk bias or if the film is really that good lol

I was lukewarm on AoU on release day, but as the years have gone by I've come to dislike it. I just hope they don't let Ultron be such a forgettable one-off character and bring him back for an Annihilation Conquest adaptation.

500718b_press03.jpg

Well see, I just look past that stuff for the good. Like Wanda and Quicksilver, first appearance of Ultron, the interaction between Tony and Cap, Vision, the creepy Widow scene, Hulkbuster.

It's not my favorite MCU film but it doesn't suck IMO.

Back