SHIN GODZILLA - Toho Studios To Return to Godzilla in 2016!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: GODZILLA RESURGENCE - Toho Studios To Return to Godzilla in 2016!

It's very clear they were taking the original concept for Godzilla and putting a twist on it, but they changed too many features.

27961d72b9c171bdd664b74097b6a9f6.jpg

The deep mouth works ok here, but the overall head shapes are very different, the position of the eyes and heigh of the brows relative to the head are lower, if they took the exact shape of the maquette and applied the very rough skin and the teeth and everything, it would have been right on track I think.

They just need to scrap it and start over.

I wonder how the atomic breath is going to look. I'm kind of hoping they tone down the laser aspect of it that they started doing in the millenium movies.

Yup, save it for one kill like 2014, and have massive fights instead.

This Godzilla will be showing detailed emotions with his eyes, and I hope he digs his teeth into other monsters.

It's still unconfirmed if there will be another monster.

As for his breath, something like Showa era or Legendary where it was more flame than a beam, I agree that the evolution from breath to ray is a bit strange, something like smoker or flame is organic and makes more sense than laser beams.

So, I have no idea what's come over me, but I'm coming around on the new design. Maybe I just had too much built up in my head, I think with this design, more so than Legendary's, I had certain expectation given how consistent overall that Toho's always been, this is so unique and original that the second I saw it, my mind started thinking about what it looked like because it wasn't Toho's traditional Godzilla.

But for some reason, now when I look at it, I don't focus on the new, unique aspects but just see the overall, and I do feel a pretty classic Godzilla look there. I've never turned around opinion like this, maybe it's from not looking at it for a day or so and coming back to it. I happened to glance it in a forum post, I wasn't setting out to look at it, but as I saw it, I just thought, oh hey, that is a pretty cool Godzilla.

tumblr_nz9hlvibBf1ro9t5eo1_500.gif

And it prompted me to try this real quick and the slight adjustment made the overall design come together for me, and not when I look at the unaltered image, I'm happy with it.

23711006875_e3d319efa8_c.jpg

Still can't get past the eyes set halfway down the length of the mouth. I realize it's a fantasy creature, but it's just too unnatural. I keep seeing sock puppet. Maybe I just need to see the full reveal.

Could be that I'm tired of disappointments. The last Toho Godzilla movie, Final Wars, was a joke. Godzilla 2014 could have been so much more. I want to be excited by a Godzilla movie the way I was when I saw Godzilla vs Biollante after having abandoned the Godzilla movies of my childhood.

The best I could do with what was given so far:

newtohog_2_zpsw7aumw6u.jpg

I tried to stay with the overall intention while gettin' rid of "sock puppet" aesthetics.

_

Original:

newtohog_1_zpsmjcyrwbc.jpg

There you go, that's fantastic :clap

Getting rid of the teeth but leaving the mouth still pretty wide makes it looks much much better, bridge of the nose is also an improvement.

I personally like the tiny sock puppet eye, but the teeth all the way till the corners of the mouth made it look weird.

The best I could do with what was given so far:

newtohog_2_zpsw7aumw6u.jpg

I tried to stay with the overall intention while gettin' rid of "sock puppet" aesthetics.

I still struggle with that small tiny eye....

I want my version :)

attachment.php

Of course like I said before from what I have seen... I wish they would just start over.

In motion all this negativity from one simple 2D image will easily be erased.

Once his mouth is opening and closing, eyes are emoting and destruction is happening, this flat image will be a non issue.

The important thing here is that it looks like Godzilla.

Can't fault me for trying to remain positive here. :lol

Last edited:

Once his mouth is opening and closing, eyes are emoting and destruction is happening, this flat image will be a non issue.

I'm gonna belly bump with Jye here. I'm liking this design and can't wait to see it terrorize tokyo :rock

I can see it as a variation on the '54 now, and I do see it as a more terrifying rendition and I'm eager to see him in action now.

I've been thinking a lot about how I could take such a 180 with this and I was thinking about my reaction to the first look at Legendary's Godzilla and I realized it all came down to expectation.

With Legendary, I had the bar low since there was no reason to assume they'd go right where Sony went so wrong, so when it came out, and I instantly could see the influences of the '84 Godzilla, I was shocked and excited and blown away.

With this Godzilla, my expectation was an effort to be more scary, but would not look too different from classic suits, something along the lines of this.

fff3f315890997335d6c7aad825370cf.jpg

So far, this is one of the most unique designs among all Godzillas, and because of that, my first reaction was this doesn't look like Godzilla and my mind focused on why.

After taking a day away from looking at it, I came back to it with the mindset that, it is Godzilla, and once I accepted it as that, I started to see the Godzilla qualities and not looking at him in a ridiculous light.

I still see flaws in the image, I think they were foolish to go with such a perfect profile show, I think this angle hurts getting a feel for his cheeks and nose and the overall shape to the face

Can not wait to see what Anno brings to this...very very interesting!

This could be 100% true... I have thought the same thing. Hope it turns out to be fact :)

Roland Emmerich directs Godzilla, they make Godzilla Resurgence.

Roland Emmerich directs Independence Day, now he makes Independence Day Resurgence.

Pls don't let this be a crossover.

Looks like this godzilla has some sort of gills on his neck?

I don't think they're gills, just a ribbed texture, but it could be in place as a shot at Legendary, even though Toho supports the money and success of their film, the designers for this movie might be thinking "nice gills Legendary."

shin_goji_needs_glasses_by_kaijukid-d9jm9um.jpg

__

Anyway, it could be worse...

zshin_godzilla_by_dopepope-d9jm2kq.jpg

Back