Sideshow 1/6 C-3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't look like pistons fully work in the video. It looks like they slide up and down in the channels on the forearms, but it doesn't look like the pistons telescope in and out. Which I think is a fine solution.

Yeh, not quite as accurate in terms of function, but tbh the Tamashii doesn't really need its more functionally accurate ones at the expense of accurate proportions. I agree, sideshow's approach seems to be the better one.

I do. :lecture

Kinda like chicken?

For how they work, Sideshow's pistons don't need to be oversized. I don't know that Tamashii's would be sound if they were smaller.

I wasn't completely off the mark then. I don't fiddle with my figures, so Tamashii's 'working Pistons' are neat engineering-wise but of little value to me.

wow. what an amazing figure. 100% better than my medicom. i think it will be 300$

I'm calling it for $189.99.

$199.99 because...

the-price-is-right.jpg

Damaged arm is cool.

I paid over the odds to buy the Vader Ex from Sideshow, but never ended up using the severed wrist on the figure.

Every Sideshow figure should come with severed hand/arm and stump as the EX. Keep things consistent.

IMG_0018.JPG

Color still looks off in the video.

Could be lighting.... but this one never looked to be the orangey-yellow that the actual 3PO is.

This is definitely looking very ROTJ, not much like SW. SW he was more brilliant whitish yellow mirror with grime over it, ROTJ was duller (i.e. not mirror-like) and slightly orangey gold.

Surprised no one has an issue with the eyes. 3PO has three bright LED's in each eye and has a crisp flashlight lens look (behind the brass grill.) The SSC eyes have the same very basic light-up feature the Hasbro one had.

This looks fantastic.
Overall I think I'll stick with my Tamashi, but SS has outdone the Tamashi in terms of weathering, articulated fingers and smaller Pistons. Great Job.

I need one behind Jabba and the other can be anywhere else.:lol

:yess: My plan exactly.

Why do you know me so well?:mad:

:lol

Cause when the Sideshow soup's good, you gotta pay da man (even if da man wants more every time.)

This looks fantastic.
Overall I think I'll stick with my Tamashi, but SS has outdone the Tamashi in terms of weathering, articulated fingers and smaller Pistons. Great Job.

Until this figure is in-hand, we won't know about the weathering. Several SSC troopers with sharpie marks as weathering can attest to that.:lol Or maybe you mean the fact it has weathering at all because the Tamashii is "clean" 3PO.

It's also odd that Sideshow rarely gets things vac-metalized. This is just metallic paint with weathering whereas vac-metallized with weathering would have captured 3PO's finish from SW better. This finish looks either post-oil bath or ROTJ because it has "sheen" more than a mirror finish with grime over most of it.

The articulated fingers are an ultra cool idea (and bonus points to SSC for doing it,) but I'm not sure why they wouldn't just do a couple of sets of hands - 3PO's hand's are basically two orientations - "closed" and "open" (which I think is what the Tamashii has.)

Very impressed by the video, looks like the long wait for these two droids has been worth it. Better find somewhere to store the placeholders.
Looks like sideshow still have a few tricks left to get our money :wink1:

Made this up to show the issue with the light-up feature of the eyes - maybe they just haven't finished the way it works in time for proto pics, but the lit-up eyes currently look too flat, dim and lacking in detail. This was something the Tamashii one really got right (even if they were a bit too bright.)

This is a still from ESB, a frame from the new Sideshow video and the prop head - all with eyes lit up.

m80g7n.png

If I didn't already have the Tamashii, I would definitely be buying this. However I would be surprised if this came in under $275.

Back