Sideshow 1/6 Garindan

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worry the lack of exclusive will lead to lower pre-orders/sells and scare Sideshow into making up exclusives for the doc and Labria. Maybe Labria’s cape and Evisian’s vest will be their exclusives? :cautious:

Fun fact: Garindan’s voice is actually a distorted loop track of John Wayne. You all probably knew that, I did not!

The realization came when Burtt was working on Attack of the Clones, looking for inspiration for the voice of Poggle the Lesser (Matthew Wood), who's an insectoid. The only other insectoid character before him was Garindan, and Burtt remembered how he did it by going through his notes at that time:
"I discovered it was an electronic buzzing which had come off of my synthesizer that was triggered by a human voice. And I listened to it and realized it was John Wayne — I had found some loop lines in the trash from the studio that had been thrown away. So the buzzing was triggered by some dialog like 'All right, what are you doing in this town' or something like that."

My custom isn't better than Sideshow's, but I feel its good enough. Just can't justify spending $300 to upgrade.

Screenshot_20240918-225348_Instagram.jpg

He's a shadowy guy... flash doesn't suit him.

Mine from 2011...

View attachment 726614
That's the alternate "medieval monk style" (making clear the medieval doctor "snout mask" connection) shorter secondary hood that SSC should have included with the figure.

He only wears that version in the D94 scene, whereas elsewhere he wears the straight head-to-feet hooded cloak.

SSC also seems to have made given his grey tunic long sleeves whereas in the movie his sleeves appear black, meaning the grey torso garment is a sleeveless tunic.

This PDF is a costume replica guide starting off with some research and then showing the progress to the completed costume:

https://pilerud.com/download/save/Garindan_costume_replica_guide_by_Pilerud.pdf

While the second 'cloak', as seen when he's talking to the Sandtrooper, definitely looks like it has an extra short cape (like a cape coat) and a collar, in their research they concluded it was just the same cloak drawn back at the shoulder. :huh

Research

Garindan is a hard costume to research, since he has so little screen time and is never seen in full. However, looking closely at how the cloths drape around the body and all available pictures this guide at least gives you something that looks the same as far as you can see, and fills out the rest with good guesses.

The action figures to date are inaccurate, especially the hooded cloak. The top right picture on this page is absolute proof of the ”open back” design of the cloak. It is a still from the set where on side flap goes up, and also confirms an inner cloak is worn under the hooded cloak.

In the close up (talking to the sandtrooper) the hooded cloak is drawn back at the shoulder making it look a bit different. Most likely done to make more of the face visible to the camera.

Until, if ever, more reliable pictures surface, this is pretty much as close as it gets.

Garindan costuming 1.png
Garindan costuming 2.png

Sideshow looks like they got the hooded cloak correct with its open back design:

Sideshow Garindan3.jpg

These are screenshots they used to illustrate their research:

It doesn't seem possible that this is the hooded cloak simply "drawn back at the shoulder making it look a bit different", because it looks much more like a medieval hood. As Felinx wrote, it adds to what appears to have been a plague doctor inspiration for the costume.

Garindan screenshot 3.png

This lightened shot shows that he is wearing a grey tunic with matching sleeves:

Garindan screenshot 1.png

I always liked Garindan's design a lot, and I played a lot with my old POTF2 Garindan.
As good as he looks, I have to agree that $270+ is too much for such a simple character design though.

I like that Sideshow listened to the fan feedback and has started focusing on aliens and background characters, something HT hasn't really touched yet. But I wonder how long this strategy will work. If this is the lowest price they can offer for these characters, their order numbers must be rather low, so I wonder that their profit margin is on these.

And it doesn't help that they are making these as barebones as possible. As Felinx said, why not at least include the finger pointing hand? And why is the comlink in the wrong hand?

The price point of 1/6 scale figures have removed the desire to "collect" 1/6 scale. I will buy maybe one a year as a "art piece" as I display one per detolf shelf. For example this year I am only picking up Anakin. Last year AOTC C-3PO
That's some solid discipline there! You pick up the AOTC Anakin, I assume...or the Artisan? Either is a fine piece for sure.

I suppose it could also be a mask which is covering up an alien snout.
That's exactly what it is. There a good current canon story in the "From a certain point of view- Episode IV" novel.
...on a character even fans don't get hugely excited about like they do for Hammerhead or Walrusman...
I'm that fan. Holy trinity of Mos Eisley figs for me is Hammerhead, Walrusman and Long Snoot.

Last edited:
Yeah at around $220 I'd be buying every one of these. But at the current price will probably just be getting Greedo and Bib Fortuna (assuming they even make it to that second wave).

There’s no reason for this to be $270. Sideshow is ridiculous with how they’re pricing these minor cantina characters.

Back