Sideshow 1:6 Lando as Skiff Guard Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was just thinking this is really good news that Sideshow are back in the 1/6 ring. Like them or not, at the very least it at least gives Hot Toys some competition. And if Sideshow are mainly interested in Star Wars then this means more figures for us collectors.

So with a bit of luck it'll be a very interesting year. Just really hope Sideshow does go the direction of revisiting some of their previous OT aliens. Sure some to fit with their Jabba scene. But also others like the a Tusken Raider and Dewback re-release.

SDCC should be pretty interesting this year. Especially with it being a few months before The Mando season 2, just enough time to show some of the new figures and then go to pre-order when Star Wars is back on the hype train for Season 2.

There's been nothing definitive to prove that's the case. As we discussed a week or so ago, this Lando may have simply been approved by Disney before the license expired, so they have the right to make it even if the license has expired.

On the one hand Jack Bauer has said SSC still has the license and is still making 1/6 SW figures, on the other hand they haven't shown anything new in SW 1/6 in a year and half - which has never happened before - and they were no-shows at SDCC SW panel and NYCC last year, which were also firsts.

There have also certainly been some strange things happening at SSC in the past year or two in various ways - like the pretty crappy SSC v.2 Yoda that was both announced and shipped at the same time, the noticeable deterioration of their once-great CS dept, the weird "compete with HT" releases like Jedi Luke and Snowtrooper Commander, the new Jabba - such a massive release - that was previewed/announced with a ship date only 8-9 months later (such a massive release would normally be previewed, then go up for PO many months later, then have a ship date maybe a year after that - so normally 18 months from preview to ship date, not 8 like Jabba was) and then there was the Susan Strange firing. All odd in their own ways, but maybe within the spectrum of what's normal for a 1/6 company.

I really hope we get some very clear confirmation soon that they are "back" (a new figure preview, attendance at a panel with 1/6 SW) because I'm really hoping that's the case. As I'm always saying, they are the only company that will make the iconic second and third tier characters/outfits.

There's been nothing definitive to prove that's the case. As we discussed a week or so ago, this Lando may have simply been approved by Disney before the license expired, so they have the right to make it even if the license has expired.

On the one hand Jack Bauer has said SSC still has the license and is still making 1/6 SW figures, on the other hand they haven't shown anything new in SW 1/6 in a year and half - which has never happened before - and they were no-shows at SDCC SW panel and NYCC last year, which were also firsts.

There have also certainly been some strange things happening at SSC in the past year or two in various ways - like the pretty crappy SSC v.2 Yoda that was both announced and shipped at the same time, the noticeable deterioration of their once-great CS dept, the weird "compete with HT" releases like Jedi Luke and Snowtrooper Commander, the new Jabba - such a massive release - that was previewed/announced with a ship date only 8-9 months later (such a massive release would normally be previewed, then go up for PO many months later, then have a ship date maybe a year after that - so normally 18 months from preview to ship date, not 8 like Jabba was) and then there was the Susan Strange firing. All odd in their own ways, but maybe within the spectrum of what's normal for a 1/6 company.

I really hope we get some very clear confirmation soon that they are "back" (a new figure preview, attendance at a panel with 1/6 SW) because I'm really hoping that's the case. As I'm always saying, they are the only company that will make the iconic second and third tier characters/outfits.

Whatever happened behind the scenes it clearly hasn't been OK at SS 1/6 for a while. Hence no new figs, no show at cons etc. But considering they now clearly have the license and they have a new paint (& sculpt ?) team I'd say the odds are they are back in some way or form. But yes what they do or don't show at SDCC will be proof in the pudding.

Tin Foil Hat : If I was to speculate I'd hazard a guess that SS wanted out of 1/6 for a while now, due to rising costs in China and no doubt the high Star Wars toy license fee. They were not making decent profit on it to justify the people working in the US, so they got rid of them and decided to simply make money on Hot Toys distribution. Maybe there was renegotiation of the licence recently (with more realistic toy sales volume estimates, post ST) and with the sourcing of new labour in China they are able to make 1/6 cost feasible again ??

They did put up the rancor (1/7ish) and the 1:1 baby Yoda recently. But no 1:6 stuff that wasn?t announced years ago. So clearly they have a SW license, but maybe not for 1/6 anymore.

Now that HT is even making third tier characters like R5, Gonk, and the Jawas, Sideshow may feel like it's just no longer worth the trouble to make their own anymore, especially given that expensive SW license. Unless it's something like a Mythos figure or a large piece like Jabba that they know HT almost certainly won't do.

I'm all in for this Lando Skiff figure, but the Hot Toys Bespin Lando will also be nice. Always liked this art depicting Lando before Han, Chewie and Leia turn up.

Lando and Vader.jpg

I'm all in for this Lando Skiff figure, but the Hot Toys Bespin Lando will also be nice. Always liked this art depicting Lando before Han, Chewie and Leia turn up.

View attachment 477705

He's had a whole contingent of his guards wiped out and the next day he's all "what have we here..." flirty and playful. Stay classy, Lando.:lol

Now that HT is even making third tier characters like R5, Gonk, and the Jawas, Sideshow may feel like it's just no longer worth the trouble to make their own anymore, especially given that expensive SW license. Unless it's something like a Mythos figure or a large piece like Jabba that they know HT almost certainly won't do.

I would still take the wait and see approach on that , case and point the Death Star Trooper that after 3 years is nowhere to be seen, and still waiting on major characters they teased like Bespin Han and Luke V2 , Jango Fett and Clone Troopers. Its wierd how they will produce minor characters from the Mandalorien but give the ones I mentioned the back seat.

I would still take the wait and see approach on that , case and point the Death Star Trooper that after 3 years is nowhere to be seen, and still waiting on major characters they teased like Bespin Han and Luke V2 , Jango Fett and Clone Troopers. Its wierd how they will produce minor characters from the Mandalorien but give the ones I mentioned the back seat.

Yeah tbh I was absolutely shocked that HT put the gonk and Jawa up for PO. HT has become notorious for showing figs then not putting them up for PO - there's got to be well over a dozen SW figs they previewed in the past 4 years that never went up for PO/sale.

Maybe 3PO and Death Star Trooper eventually will, but you get them in-hand literally 3-4 years after you should have. In my book that's why I want SSC in the game.

And also, this "I'll wait for HT" or "HT blows SSC away" mantra has been around for years, yet HT SW has been plagued by so-so likenesses, underscale accessories (ugh - they reused that lantern/charger from Yoda for their new R2 that's half the size it should be) and sculpt inaccuracies. Even outfits have been iffy at times - farmboy Luke's outfit was pretty inaccurate (pants wrong color, tunic far too short,) Ben's robe was like carwash chamois fabric and ANH Leia's dress was awful.

Despite their gorgeous apps, they mess up hair color almost every time - everyone has black, metal-copper or metal-gold color hair. Then there's fig accessories - every Fett they have released has had awful, soft-sculpt hands and the Leia Hoth blaster was laughably inaccurate and Luke Jedi's undersized. HT has done FOUR different stormie sculpts (ANH, RO-style, Sandie and ROTJ) and NOT ONE has been a bullseye, and if they could pull off the 1/4 Vader helmet they just did, why have they struggled with Vader over several sculpts in 1/6?

So this idea that Sideshow should just give up (and yes, I could rail against many recent SSC releases also) because HT is doing more SW figs is solelt based on ill-founded "HT is best" assumptions. I go with what's accurate, whatever the brand.

....or simply go with what you like, whomever the manufacturer. Both HT and SSC have had their share of ups and downs.

As for what prompts HT's figure selection, it's a safe bet that Diz has as much to say as Howard does. Yes, the Jawa and Gonk were a surprise but it's not a stretch to look at them fitting into the Mandalorian wave. Classic takes on them (thank the maker) but it still works.

I'm VERY stoked about this SSC Skiff Lando and would be really happy to see them produce any other of Jabba's denizens they could.

....or simply go with what you like, whomever the manufacturer. Both HT and SSC have had their share of ups and downs.

As for what prompts HT's figure selection, it's a safe bet that Diz has as much to say as Howard does. Yes, the Jawa and Gonk were a surprise but it's not a stretch to look at them fitting into the Mandalorian wave. Classic takes on them (thank the maker) but it still works.

I'm VERY stoked about this SSC Skiff Lando and would be really happy to see them produce any other of Jabba's denizens they could.

Lando's a co-lead and this outfit is one of the cooler outfits any of the SW heroes wear, but I am really curious how many people would pay $250+ (by the time they get to them, maybe $20 higher than that) for those Jabba denizens. Dengar did sell out at $240, but he's a special case with that "gotta complete the bounty hunters line-up" aspect.

As much as I would LOVE to see SSC do a deep dive into Jabba's Palace (or cantina) I worry that idea belongs to a time nearly a decade ago when people were okay dropping $90 to $120 for a Klaatu, Barada or Nikto - or buy all three for not much more than $300.

I just really wonder about the commercial realities of a $260 Nikto, or a $290 (if all-new) Gamorrean Guard, especially with this "SSC is second best" and "maybe HT will do it" attitude.

Lando's a co-lead and this outfit is one of the cooler outfits any of the SW heroes wear, but I am really curious how many people would pay $250+ (by the time they get to them, maybe $20 higher than that) for those Jabba denizens. Dengar did sell out at $240, but he's a special case with that "gotta complete the bounty hunters line-up" aspect.

As much as I would LOVE to see SSC do a deep dive into Jabba's Palace (or cantina) I worry that idea belongs to a time nearly a decade ago when people were okay dropping $90 to $120 for a Klaatu, Barada or Nikto - or buy all three for not much more than $300.

I just really wonder about the commercial realities of a $260 Nikto, or a $290 (if all-new) Gamorrean Guard, especially with this "SSC is second best" and "maybe HT will do it" attitude.

I'm in total agreement with you on this. I just can't see SS and Hot Toys third tier characters selling in large enough quantities at the prices they will now charge. There will be those of us prepared to pay that for one or two characters that may be special to us but not enough. We are at the point we need a third option to enter the market and start providing these characters.

Also gotta say I chuckle really hard every time I see someone use the term "inevitable hot toys release". Not sure where they get those delusions :lol

Your points are well taken.

As much as I hate to admit it, the current price level is what may stop us from seeing some great figures of those 2nd and 3rd tier characters. And that's too bad.

that`s one thing i got my customs of these skiff guards. even if they released one or two of them i wouldn`t buy them unless they looked really good.

From my perspective, SS should have specifically gone with the Jabba's palace set up. Obviously the target customer base would be "OT-purist" collectors. Plus, occasionaly throw in some of their former best works like the Dewback, OT aliens and some troopers, Mythos line....just saying.

I'm in total agreement with you on this. I just can't see SS and Hot Toys third tier characters selling in large enough quantities at the prices they will now charge. There will be those of us prepared to pay that for one or two characters that may be special to us but not enough. We are at the point we need a third option to enter the market and start providing these characters.

Also gotta say I chuckle really hard every time I see someone use the term "inevitable hot toys release". Not sure where they get those delusions :lol

Yeah, you obviously see Greedo or Ackbar selling well, but most of the Jabba guys at $260 would be a bit of a bust. Maybe some of the best known ones like Ree Yees, but even he's a bit marginal to a casual fan. Even Walrusman and Snaggletooth I think would be tricky at $250+, along with Bib Fortuna (though if they had done Bib in conjunction with the Jabba it would have sold pretty well.) They way over-produced it, but I remember the old Bib sitting around and being available for under retail for years - and it was like $50 on first release.

that`s one thing i got my customs of these skiff guards. even if they released one or two of them i wouldn`t buy them unless they looked really good.

You'll buy 'em GG - every one of them. You and me.:lol Look how good this Lando skiff outfit looks.

One of the interesting things about customs is that most for me seemed/seem to run in the $120-200 range (Amana was obviously more, but unique body/kit) and so in an era of $120 Gamorrean Guards, it was a serious blow if Sideshow ended up making it so you could buy it for maybe $50-100 less than you spent on your custom, and it could be a bit better than your custom (if you really knew what you were doing) to it being night and day if you weren't a great customizer (and yet still have spent $$.)

But now with these figs costing $240-$270, customs have really come into their own, especially if you're willing to go that extra mile with them. You can sometimes end up with something that's maybe 90% as good as the SSC figure and have paid $50-100 less.

I'm finishing my Lando Skiff custom because I was so far along with it (and enjoy making these because you learn a lot about the outfits) and it didn't really cost me anything (old Hasbro parts rebooted, a few newly sculpted pieces.) I do plan to get this SSC fig though - just because it's one of my all-time fave outfits, and I will use my custom for the palace dio while SSC will be the "hero display."

And it's also been really interesting to see how Sideshow approached all the parts that I was figuring out/making on my own. The boots are very tricky, as are many parts on this figure.

From my perspective, SS should have specifically gone with the Jabba's palace set up. Obviously the target customer base would be "OT-purist" collectors. Plus, occasionaly throw in some of their former best works like the Dewback, OT aliens and some troopers, Mythos line....just saying.

Yeah, what a missed opportunity that they didn't do a half dozen characters to go with the new Jabba - Bib, Boussh, a couple of aliens etc.

And yeah, would love to see a reissue of the Dewback. I need a cast of that head!:lol

I placed an order for one to add into all the other Sideshow Jabba pieces. The price was a it of a shock but it’s a drop in the bucket for what I have paid over the years for Star Wars.

I placed an order for one to add into all the other Sideshow Jabba pieces. The price was a it of a shock but it’s a drop in the bucket for what I have paid over the years for Star Wars.

Good point. Sometimes you forget about the thousands we have invested in this hobby. And when that next special figure comes along, we have to have it regardless. But unfortunately, they don't cost 50 to 100 dollars anymore.

Good point. Sometimes you forget about the thousands we have invested in this hobby. And when that next special figure comes along, we have to have it regardless. But unfortunately, they don't cost 50 to 100 dollars anymore.

Yep. I try not to add up what I?ve spent over the years! Also, now that I have a sharper focus of what I want my collection to be, I find it easier to let the releases that don?t really fit just slip on by, while I look forward to the ones that are personal ?must haves?.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back