Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever factory workers are employed by Hot Toys, ThreeZero, Star Ace, among others, don't seem to have a problem rocking amazing paint jobs. The problem with recent Sideshow heads is that they aren't fully painted - and the parts that are painted look like they're done with low quality paints and technique. At least that's what the photos look like. They're merely touched up to color some portions of the plastic for eyes and hair features. Like a He-Man figure from 1984.

I'll defend the quality of Sideshow's prototypes all day (within reason) and any time this has turned into a debate I just wish people would wait to see the final product in hand before dismissing it. But there's no denying they have not delivered $200 figures with Snake and Drake. Still holding out hope the Hoth stuff isn't a write-off, because again, the prototypes look absolutely phenomenal.

Last edited:
It's cool, if someone else on the forum had something that I didn't have yet I'd want to see the photos asap.
It's my duty as a fellow Freak.
[emoji16]

I salute you, Sir!

Han-salute.gif

As do I, er, we!

the-three-amigos-gif.gif

Whatever factory workers are employed by Hot Toys, ThreeZero, Star Ace, among others, don't seem to have a problem rocking amazing paint jobs. The problem with recent Sideshow heads is that they aren't fully painted - and the parts that are painted look like used some super low quality paints. At least that's what the photos look like. They're merely touched up to color some portions of the plastic for eyes and hair features. Like a He-Man figure from 1984.

I'll defend the quality of Sideshow's prototypes all day (within reason) and any time this has turned into a debate I just wish people would wait to see the final product in hand before dismissing it. But there's no denying they have not delivered $200 figures with Snake and Drake. Still holding out hope the Hoth stuff isn't a write-off, because again, the prototypes look absolutely phenomenal.

But maybe they just know that they can sell $50 figures for $200, so why shouldn't they? People must be buying them. We're looking at this as people who love high-end figures, maybe a forum for entrepreneurs would be full of praise for Sideshow.

There's a national newspaper in the UK called the Daily Express that has a handful of editorial staff and prints the same poorly sourced stories day after day - bad weather on the way, 'cure' for alzheimer's found etc - for a readership of pensioners whose prejudices it confirms. As a newspaper its garbage, as a money making enterprise its great.

Need some spray paint for the dome. Or something...

If only R2 had seams in the movie, then it would be accurate. :lol

Need some spray paint for the dome. Or something...

If only R2 had seams in the movie, then it would be accurate. :lol

The paint would only just make the seam more visible I'm afraid. You would need to sand it down, cover it with putty or epoxy, resand and then paint again.

The seams kinda bother me, but the pros outweigh the cons in this, definitely keeping it

Last edited:
maybe a forum for entrepreneurs would be full of praise for Sideshow.

If Sideshow were a public company maybe I'd invest in some stock. But to put it into perspective, I'm an Apple shareholder, yet still very critical of when they screw up, even if they're still producing the best products in their categories.

The paint would only just make the seam more visible I'm afraid. You would need to sand it down, cover it with putty or epoxy, red and and then paint again.

The seams kinda bother me, but the pros outweigh the cons in this, definitely keeping it

Quite a bit of work.. Damn it SSC, if only they made it a Diecast dome.

Yeah keeping him as well, just worried about how the seams will look once he's in the detolf.

If Sideshow were a public company maybe I'd invest in some stock. But to put it into perspective, I'm an Apple shareholder, yet still very critical of when they screw up, even if they're still producing the best products in their categories.

I think that's a great mindset, it makes life difficult but at least you know you're free.

That's an easy fix.

By doing what? Matching the metallic blue in such a critical, first-place-people-look spot?

Maybe the silver can be very gently scraped/sanded and maybe the blue is intact beneath. To make it look good - as if it wasn't there to start with - I'm not so sure is an easy fix.

For consistency when touching up any of Sideshow's paintwork it's advisable to obtain the same type of brush used by their factory...

recordbrushCEN_450x666.jpg

:monkey3

Back