Sideshow 12" Stormtrooper PICTURE THREAD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
007.jpg

Marmit (left)........... SS (middle).......... Medicom(rt)

Marmit is still a great figure. SS is very close. I think the pose you have the Marmit in (belly out, shoulders back) is just a little better than the SS, so it helps make the Marmit look better.

Pretty much a toss up for me. I have a Marmit myself so I'll have to get it out and compare as well. I like the subtle variations between the two so I'll enjoy having both on the shelf.

I woulnt recomend you adding anything to the plastic because you may cause it to yellow faster. If the plastic is a good one it wont go yellowish ever except if you have it in direct sunligth or clean it with harsh chemicals.

I've been modeling (scale modeling, not the GQ stuff... ;)) for several decades and have been using Future for all of that time on my plastic models. I use it as a barrier between the paint and the decals and then to "set" the decals. In all of that time, I have yet to see any form of "yellowing" on any of the kits that I have built. This stuff is bullet-proof and best of all, it's inexpensive and initially water soluable, so clean-up is a snap.

Use Gunze clearcoat gloss. It's imported from Japan and expensive (about $10+ for a small can) but used by professional modelers because it does not cause a chemical reaction with the acids in the plastics that cause yellowing. The guy at my hobby shop swears by it and has been a professional modeler for about 30 years.

Gunze clearcoat is excellent as well but just a little pricey.

Yeah, the repaint on the aerators and mouth piece, while subtle, does make a difference. I'll probably end up doing the same.

Marmit is still a great figure. SS is very close. I think the pose you have the Marmit in (belly out, shoulders back) is just a little better than the SS, so it helps make the Marmit look better.

Pretty much a toss up for me. I have a Marmit myself so I'll have to get it out and compare as well. I like the subtle variations between the two so I'll enjoy having both on the shelf.

Yeah, the marmit was posed long ago...still trying to work on the SS one....Thanks for Justin's pic, I gave the microphone deal a bit of a black wash, and in person, that makes them look less glaring...also gives the illusion that they are smaller than they are.

The SS' chest armor does flare out a bit in front, sides....compared to the other two - this is giving the upper chest armor that wide appearance.....the armor is pretty hard so if anyone heats it up, you are gonna have to work for it.

Overall, the SS Stormie is real good, especially the helmet and lower torso....you get into the problem areas with the slighly oversize shoulder and arm armor - compared to the Medicom and Marmits, they look a like bulky....

So Sideshow, when are you selling those velcro Stormie belts? I know a couple of guys that would look great in them!?!?

Ok, last one from me:

004-1.jpg

Stuck the chest on the stormie out a bit and touched up on those Aerators or whatnot a tad...

Last edited:
My two aren't even here yet. They are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I'm not a customizer at all and have always been scared to alter my figures in any way. I don't even water treat because I'm scared I'll screw something up. If I did decide to add some paint to the aerators and mouth piece, I'd have to send the helmet to someone else to do for me. I'd be a nervous wreck and would never get it done clean. It does make them look 100% better though. If there was something that could be put on like a wax and buffed to make the armor look glossier, I'd be all over it. But the thoughts of taking the figure apart and taking all the armor off to paint makes me cringe. I'm sure some gloss would make it look much better though. Can't wait to get them in hand tomorrow.

Overall, I really like this figure--of course, it's a stormtrooper! But the loose joints do spoil some of the fun. The joints are so bad on mine, it even takes a while to get him properly posed on a stand. The arms don't like holding guns very well in the positions you want them to without immediately drifting downward. This sort of thing is really unacceptable when other companies produce bodies with tight joints that work absolutely fine.

Here's another pic. Since the exclusive gun came unpainted :confused: , I added some of my own weathering. No idea what it's supposed to look like, oh well. :)

1z3qt6d.jpg

Great pic and nice weathering. I do dig the exclusive gone - and like the fact it can rest in the holster well, but it could've used a little paint slapped on it....

SS: need to tighten these prom. bodies...!

That is my worst fear the loosness of the body. I can fix all the paint apps, chest flare and gloss on the armor but dont want to have to buy a new body so I can pose him the way I want.

That is my worst fear the loosness of the body. I can fix all the paint apps, chest flare and gloss on the armor but dont want to have to buy a new body so I can pose him the way I want.

As many have mentioned here, a little dab of superglue will tighten the joints. Just drop it on and work the joint back and forth as it hardens.

Of course, this requires you to completely undress the Stormtrooper, which I think is a bigger pain than the glue work.

Mine is loose too, so I will probably have to so this.

If the armored body is truly a collaboration with Hot Toys, you would think the joints would be just as tight as they are on the Truetypes. I also wish they would use the same hand and feet connections. Not only is the ankle ball joint a tighter fit, you also don't have to worry about lining up the peg so the foot will bend in the direction you want it to.

I tried the superglue method on the ankles last night without much luck. I put glue between the seams and where the one piece snaps into the other. I let the glue dry while moving it periodically. One ankle actually felt like it glued entirely this morning (scary), but I was able to free it. Surprisingly though, the joints still feel about the same. I can feel a bit of crunching, but still loose.

Last edited:
Got mine and I must say I'm a bit disappointed. The armor is annoying and slides all over the figure. The chest armor flares out at the sides which throws off the look for me. Combine that with the helmet and he looks squat. Almost like the vintage Stormtrooper Kenner figure. The RAH is a better Stormtrooper in my opinion.

I got the exclusive version and I'm debating whether to sell it or not.

Too many complaints. Looks like Medi and Marmit are the better troopers. I agree with many above loose joints are unacceptable. Especially since SS has had what? 3 times on different figures to fix it!! I FEAR FOR VADER.

Damn that Marmit looks so much better in comparison, but yeah since he is pretty much unaffordable for me and since I need at least 4 Stormtroopers I will have to get the Sideshow ones. Great work Justin on the touch ups!

If the armored body is truly a collaboration with Hot Toys, you would think the joints would be just as tight as they are on the Truetypes.

As I've said before, all Hot Toys did was help engineer the design, I'm sure the production process and body assembly has everything to do with the body quality and clearly Hot Toys has a more consistent formula for putting the TrueTypes together.

Well with these loose joints and everything...one thing I really would like to see Sideshow incorporate is the Hot Toys wire loops on their stands. I prefer the larger, round Sideshow base compared to the Hot Toys oval, but I like the underloops for the Hot Toys stand. It is much easier to put a figure on without the wires squeezing the waist. Less visually intrusive too.

pqpz.jpg

Back