Sideshow 12" Stormtrooper PICTURE THREAD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my shipping notice. Its Friday for me. :rock

I am surprised by all the nit picking and belly aching and chicken littling.... but then I remembered this is SW: home of the most anal retentive fan base known to man.

the SS helmet WINS hands down ......

I agree overall...

HOWEVER, after taking a close look at both, I have discovered many things that Marmit got right. They really did their research.

The Marmit helmet is wider. The proportions are actually better, but the softer plastic mold hurts. Marmit even got the "nose ridge" correct, where SS completely left it off. For those who don't know the "nose ridge" or whatever the proper term is is the raised part between the eyes on the "nose" before the ridge reverses to create the "bags" under the eyes.

Also, the Marmit thigh armor is better proportioned -- SS thigh armor is very long when compared -- though both have the same height shin armor. Similar situation on the forearm armor.

The actual "chest" chest mold is also better scale on the Marmit.

So I have to tip my hat to Marmit for these little details.

I still feel that overall, to my eye, the SS trooper just looks better... even with its inconsistencies. But Marmit does hold its own in many places.

stormtrooper4.jpg

I know not quite the same, but....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/IoEBAgy3t3U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/IoEBAgy3t3U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I agree overall...

HOWEVER, after taking a close look at both, I have discovered many things that Marmit got right. They really did their research.

The Marmit helmet is wider. The proportions are actually better, but the softer plastic mold hurts. Marmit even got the "nose ridge" correct, where SS completely left it off. For those who don't know the "nose ridge" or whatever the proper term is is the raised part between the eyes on the "nose" before the ridge reverses to create the "bags" under the eyes.

Also, the Marmit thigh armor is better proportioned -- SS thigh armor is very long when compared -- though both have the same height shin armor. Similar situation on the forearm armor.

I still feel that overall, to my eye, the SS trooper just looks better... even with its inconsistencies. But Marmit does hold its own in many places.

Marmit wins as far as authenticity is concerned but yeah the Sideshow one is still awesome and a must get for any fan!

I'd hate to be stuck with the HT underhook stands in an earthquake! :horror It's because of that very reason, I've switched out all the underhook stands with the regular waste clamps. I'd rather have dimples in a figure's midsection than have to hunt down a replacement for my broken, sold out figures and wind up getting reamed on ebay.

Well I can't speak for other figures, but I jostled the Stormtrooper backwards and forwards. He isn't going any where. Very secure. And seeing pictures of Stormtroopers with the traditional wrap around brace, I much prefer the look of him on the black saddle.

Marmit wins as far as authenticity is concerned but yeah the Sideshow one is still awesome and a must get for any fan!

Truth!

I'm glad to have both... but I must admit, when each is standing next to the other you do start noticing the mistakes in each rather than the good parts. :)

It really says a lot about Marmit that their trooper (with some small modifications) really holds up so well.

Little sad I sold mine (customized with an ANH Luke head) but I figure I'll just get 2 Sideshow Stormies and be done.

BTW, glad you like yours EF... I usually agree with your thoughts on figures, so glad to hear your pleased :rock

This image reminds of something that's always sort of bugged me. Does anyone know if there's a document reson why the leg armor of the Stormtroopers differs between the two legs? The setup on the left leg definitely seems more practical and useful with the knee protection.

From Wookieepedia, but probably not canon.

"The lower right side, near the knee contained the suits system power cells. The left upper side of the shin armor had a sniper position knee protector plate."

Too bad the Marmit can't be hauled for 90 bucks! I'd rather get 4 of those truth be told. :eek:

Me too that's why I'm glad I canceled my 2 regulars. For the price I'd rather have one perfect Marmit.

Last edited:
I've seen loose ones sell for around $75... so probably break about even. But you'll need to put a little work in them (separating the foot from ankle, new basebody transfer, etc.) but well within most people's ability.

I've seen loose ones sell for around $75... so probably break about even. But you'll need to put a little work in them (separating the foot from ankle, new basebody transfer, etc.) but well within most people's ability.

yea way back when i paid $115 for a new marmit sandtrooper.

in just the last year or two i've managed to pick up 2 more sandtroopers, tie, pilot, at-at driver, and a boba fett for less than $75 a piece. and at the time the most bidders were 3.....must have gotten real lucky on all those auctions because i've seen them go as high as $200...:huh.

cant wait to pose the ssc troopers with them and eventually.....:vader

I am surprised by all the nit picking and belly aching and chicken littling.... but then I remembered this is SW: home of the most anal retentive fan base known to man.

Mine will be here on Thursday, sadly it'll be delivered while I'm at work.:(
My twin brother will wait for the UPS guy and make sure it gets inside safe.
:chew

Has anyone compared the Stormtrooper armor to Clone Obi's? His looks eggshell / cream white in comparison.

Believe me, the SS trooper on its own is outstanding.

Its only when you have both side by side that you start noticing things; pros and cons. But that's always the case with everything.

I often compare Keira Knightley and Natalie Portman; when together its really hard to choose.

:)

I agree overall...

I agree with the marmit comments....in some ways, the upper chest armor on the Marmit is almost too well fitting.....If SS had just had their armor a little more form fitting, it would be getting 4 stars from me....at this point, I have it in a pose that I dig, and it'll stay that way!

Congrats! Still waiting here :(

I'm never surprised by this section and the things that go on in it. It really makes me quite happy to know I'm not that bad. :lol

Ankles are loose on mine as well. I have to use the stand other wise he just falls over. I may try the glue trick but honestly I'm a little tired of the problems with the new SS bodies.

He's just ok. I'm not a big fan of the hard armor. I like the softer stuff that Medi uses, the look and feel of it is better imho. Regardless he does look nice next to Vader and I'll probably try and pick one more up much cheaper later on.

Back