Sideshow 12" Stormtrooper PICTURE THREAD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wor-Gar's pic shows how well sculpted and accurate the Stormie is (except for the dang crotch) but Lee said it best, the armor "feels" cheap. It lacks the sturdiness of the Medi armor even though it's rigid and that slight gloss that the Stormies have as well.

If the armor is like CW Obi-Wan then I don't see how you can say at all it feels cheap. If anything the Medi Armor feels like cheap rubber. If these guys are supposed to be wearing armor its most likely going to be a harder material don't you think? There is nothing sturdy about the armor on the Medi as it seems more like a bendy material. Where as the armor on CW Obi-Wan is sturdy and won't bend as we know it will break.

I know if the armor is more like Medicoms and less like CW Obi-Wan I'll be quite disappointed when mine gets here.

I borrowed your pic, Coco, hope you don't mind. Needed one standing straight.

realvsssst.jpg

Very close, except for the package.

That was probably due to mobility. The actual one looks like it doesn't allow for very good movement, and it looks bothersome.

the only really loose joints on mine are the ankles and those come out easily. I mean I shouldn't have to do glueing.:rolleyes:

If the armor is like CW Obi-Wan then I don't see how you can say at all it feels cheap. If anything the Medi Armor feels like cheap rubber. If these guys are supposed to be wearing armor its most likely going to be a harder material don't you think? There is nothing sturdy about the armor on the Medi as it seems more like a bendy material. Where as the armor on CW Obi-Wan is sturdy and won't bend as we know it will break.

I know if the armor is more like Medicoms and less like CW Obi-Wan I'll be quite disappointed when mine gets here.

Indeed. My first armored figure was Hot Toys' Hicks figure, which has hard armor like Clone Obi-Wan, and it dissappointed me when I took off one of my Fett gauntlets futzing the figure and found I could squish and bend the armor around. I thought Hicks was so cool how it actually felt like a little armored person, the Medicom made me feel like a high end Hasbro figure. Granted it's just a difference in materials, but with dozens of Hasbro SW 12" figures in my collection and that being their way of making stuff, it's an association, and with seeing Hot Toys armor stuff as more cutting edge (all the little realistic snaps and straps, etc.), that's just how I see it.

I was glad to hear SSC would be using similar materials for their armored figures.

As for the gloss, glad folks are happy with it and all, but when I look at Justin's figure, it looks overpowering. The Stormies were glossy but it seems way too much. Of the two options, custom gloss and SSC's production finish, I'd rather the figure as it comes in the box.

Right armor should be hard. Its not a soft material hence why its used as protection. :lol

I don't think thats my pic from SDCC but from what I've seen thats what the production pieces look like. It seems some want these to look like they just came from the buffer and are shined up for inspection.

Out for delivery :chew

Although this is a long day for me... so won't be home to check him out until after 9:30pm :monkey2

Just a matter of preference I guess. Even though Medi's was bendy you couldn't tell with it sitting on the shelf. It sure aided in posing it though. It also doesn't slide around as you move him like the SS armor does.

I also notice it scratches like crazy. The little metal tabs (another nit of mine) that are used to hold the canister on left gray scratches all over the armor.

SS's looks better on the shelf (except for that dang crotch) than Medi's for sure but I didn't have the problems taking the Medi down and moving him around as I do with SS's.

Finaly got my shipping notice.. he will be here Monday so I can contribute to the ^^^^^ing then. :)

A brush with the Future...

Man, that gloss helps a lot. Did you airbrush this on or did you just use a regular brush? Please post a tutorial on how you did this. I don't want to screw anything up. Is this the wax you're talking about using?
https://www.acehardware.com/sm-future-floor-wax-11182--pi-1340324.html

My regular and exclusive were waiting on me when I got home yesterday. Didn't think they were due to arrive until today. I'm very pleased with mine. The issues with the aerators are not nearly as noticeable as they appeared in the pics posted, but I do think that a tiny bit of black paint around the rim of them and a little dry brush over the silver will help tone them down a bit. I would have never even noticed the codpiece if it hadn't been brought to my attention here. The joints on both mine aren't horribly loose. Both of mine can hold poses without the stand. The only issues I have with mine is the shoulder armor on one of mine droops (I think it's because the strap that goes across the chest is very loose or too long) and the shin armor on the side with the diamond shaped knee protector is very loose on both of mine. Overall, I think it's a great figure and I'm pleased with it. Could it have been better? Of course, but that is true with all SS figures in my opinion. Could it have been worse? Absolutely, so I'm pleased with it the way that it is.

Man, that gloss helps a lot. Did you airbrush this on or did you just use a regular brush? Please post a tutorial on how you did this. I don't want to screw anything up. Is this the wax you're talking about using?
https://www.acehardware.com/sm-future-floor-wax-11182--pi-1340324.html

My regular and exclusive were waiting on me when I got home yesterday. Didn't think they were due to arrive until today. I'm very pleased with mine. The issues with the aerators are not nearly as noticeable as they appeared in the pics posted, but I do think that a tiny bit of black paint around the rim of them and a little dry brush over the silver will help tone them down a bit. I would have never even noticed the codpiece if it hadn't been brought to my attention here. The joints on both mine aren't horribly loose. Both of mine can hold poses without the stand. The only issues I have with mine is the shoulder armor on one of mine droops (I think it's because the strap that goes across the chest is very loose or too long) and the shin armor on the side with the diamond shaped knee protector is very loose on both of mine. Overall, I think it's a great figure and I'm pleased with it. Could it have been better? Of course, but that is true with all SS figures in my opinion. Could it have been worse? Absolutely, so I'm pleased with it the way that it is.

Makes me feel a little better about this figure.I was really concerned about the loose joints and the sheen on the armour and yeah the mic's are now the only real issue I have with this figure.

Just a matter of preference I guess. Even though Medi's was bendy you couldn't tell with it sitting on the shelf. It sure aided in posing it though. It also doesn't slide around as you move him like the SS armor does.

I also notice it scratches like crazy. The little metal tabs (another nit of mine) that are used to hold the canister on left gray scratches all over the armor.

SS's looks better on the shelf (except for that dang crotch) than Medi's for sure but I didn't have the problems taking the Medi down and moving him around as I do with SS's.

Right you can't tell but its one of those things I'll know and would bug me a bit. :lol I don't know how much the SS piece slides around not having it in hand yet. (Please ship mine soon SS :) ) Scratches might not be a bad thing though as it would give a worn look.

I've seen a few pics where folks have messed with the cod piece and it looks fine. I think its a matter of futzing with that. Like I said I don't have mine yet but just based on what I've read it sounds like the SS piece is pretty sturdy where as with Medicom pieces I always worry about them breaking.

Ankles are loose on mine as well. I have to use the stand other wise he just falls over. I may try the glue trick but honestly I'm a little tired of the problems with the new SS bodies.

He's just ok. I'm not a big fan of the hard armor. I like the softer stuff that Medi uses, the look and feel of it is better imho. Regardless he does look nice next to Vader and I'll probably try and pick one more up much cheaper later on.

Gotta say that I can agree with this 100% if the armor feels anything like the clone obi. The medi stuff may not be accurate as far as the helmet but the sturdiness of the soft armor (if that makes sense) I like better. The hard armor just feels cheap to me...and loose joints just add to that for me.

Glad you like the fig Adam but Im sorry it was a little disappointing.

SS is getting better but sometimes it seems like a one step forward tow steps back process with them.

Wor-Gar's pic shows how well sculpted and accurate the Stormie is (except for the dang crotch) but Lee said it best, the armor "feels" cheap. It lacks the sturdiness of the Medi armor even though it's rigid and that slight gloss that the Stormies have as well.

I'm looking at the figure on my shelf and thinking how nice it looks but at the same time thinking how much I don't even want to try reposing it or messing with it because of the reasons mentioned.

I agree with all of this. I usually listen to COCO's thoughts before i decide on getting a figure if he gets it first. I will get this but at a retailer for cheaper.

Well said bro!

Yeah, SS does seem to take a 'two steps back, one forward' approach with their stuff. Well said! Having had the SS Stormie for half a day, he gets an overall 'B' grade. If the body had been tighter and the armor fit better, it'd be an 'A'

Wasn't the prom body slimmer so that armor wouldn't be so oversized....? So, what happened with the SS Stormie? Every piece of armor except the feet and helmet is huge...I mean, the armor just slides all over the place if you move it...?

xm4wur.jpg

Justin, hope you don't mind: yours is a perfect angle to show this: if the armor areas in red stuck out anymore, they'd look like imperial wings and the dude should be able to fly. Now, they used a hard plastic, so I don't have the heart to try the heat approach to warp them back a bit. In the proto, this area of the chest armor does stick out so much...

Last edited:
Mine stuck out, but I heated them up and bit and set them in place. It is harder plastic so it does take a bit of work but it is worth it!!

Yeah, SS does seem to take a 'two steps back, one forward' approach with their stuff. Well said! Having had the SS Stormie for half a day, he gets an overall 'B' grade. If the body had been tighter and the armor fit better, it'd be an 'A'

Wasn't the prom body slimmer so that armor wouldn't be so oversized....? So, what happened with the SS Stormie? Every piece of armor except the feet and helmet is huge...I mean, the armor just slides all over the place if you move it...?

xm4wur.jpg

Justin, hope you don't mind: yours is a perfect angle to show this: if the armor areas in red stuck out anymore, they'd look like imperial wings and the dude should be able to fly. Now, they used a hard plastic, so I don't have the heart to try the heat approach to warp them back a bit. In the proto, this area of the chest armor does stick out so much...

Well sounds like they made the armour pieces bigger so that it would be easier to put on in production.But there should be no excuse for the chest armour.

that's an interesting point, does this mean most of the armor pieces would actually fit on the buck as well?

Back