Sideshow 12" Stormtrooper PICTURE THREAD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, or you could try and track down some Medicom Stormtroopers..they will look nice and small next to the SSC Vader when he comes out right?.

Sideshow Stormtrooper > Medicom Stormtrooper. Especially now with people trying to liquidate their Medis on ebaY, they're still expecting more cash for them than one can buy a better Sideshow Stormy for. In the Stormtrooper race, Medicom = fail! :lol

Sideshow Stormtrooper > Medicom Stormtrooper. Especially now with people trying to liquidate their Medis on ebaY, they're still expecting more cash for them than one can buy a better Sideshow Stormy for. In the Stormtrooper race, Medicom = fail! :lol

Until HT makes one, then the tables will be turned once again.

Until HT makes one, then the tables will be turned once again.

I really doubt it'd be much better than what Sideshow's done. They've done a phenomenal job. And then there'd be the price. I doubt it'd be $80 better. :lol

But:

a) I don't think Sideshow will ditch their SW cash cow

b) Medicom has the Asian rights to SW.

So it's not likely that'll ever happen unless Sideshow outsources like they did with Hell Boy.

I really doubt it'd be much better than what Sideshow's done. They've done a phenomenal job. And then there'd be the price. I doubt it'd be $80 better. :lol

But:

a) I don't think Sideshow will ditch their SW cash cow

b) Medicom has the Asian rights to SW.

So it's not likely that'll ever happen unless Sideshow outsources like they did with Hell Boy.

I think HT would at least get the areators right :lol and with it just being an amroured figure they could definitely make him look more real world than SS did. And I'm sure HT will get there shot at the license,it's just a matter of time.

One thing though, if HT ever got the SW license would they have to deal with Lucas' input as far as likeness goes?

One thing though, if HT ever got the SW license would they have to deal with Lucas' input as far as likeness goes?

I would say yes. You'd think that Medicom probably doesn't based on their portraits being more stylistic, but Diamond Select has stated how it has to go for approvals in reference to their UQS Jedi Luke, and frankly, if so-so portraits like that go through the LFL approval process, I'd say everyone in this sort of arena has to.

I would say yes. You'd think that Medicom probably doesn't based on their portraits being more stylistic, but Diamond Select has stated how it has to go for approvals in reference to their UQS Jedi Luke, and frankly, if so-so portraits like that go through the LFL approval process, I'd say everyone in this sort of arena has to.

Well, we can only dream, right?:D

Well, we can only dream, right?:D

What do you mean we?

SS is doing just fine with the Star Wars line and honestly these are not figures that need to cost $150 a figure like most HT figures seem to cost anymore. Yes, they make very nice figures but honestly SS isn't doing bad with these. Yes, I know you and a few of your pals will disagree that SS figures are awful or so up and down they shouldn't have them. However, based on the figures as a whole I don't think there is any need for HT to make these ever.

I guess for me I just don't get the stroking HT gets here honestly. Figures like Iron Man are great and among the best I've seen but they have their share of figures that aren't that impressive.

What do you mean we?

SS is doing just fine with the Star Wars line and honestly these are not figures that need to cost $150 a figure like most HT figures seem to cost anymore. Yes, they make very nice figures but honestly SS isn't doing bad with these. Yes, I know you and a few of your pals will disagree that SS figures are awful or so up and down they shouldn't have them. However, based on the figures as a whole I don't think there is any need for HT to make these ever.

I guess for me I just don't get the stroking HT gets here honestly. Figures like Iron Man are great and among the best I've seen but they have their share of figures that aren't that impressive.

He said stroke..:lol

Josh, you don't have to believe SS are doing "awful" in order to believe HT would put out a higher quality SW product that is surely worth $150.

Josh, you don't have to believe SS are doing "awful" in order to believe HT would put out a higher quality SW product that is surely worth $150.

Yeah, SS cetainly is not producing anything awful nor are their troopers awful.But there's always going to be that higher quality product in one form or another.

Just got my two stormies.
First impression:

They feel cheap.

The plastic feels cheap and there's lots of molding marks on it.

Of the two, one is a QC nightmare... the armour for the legs was switched, amazingly sloppy paint apps, one of the extra hands has big scratches... just very poor QC.
The other one is pretty much ok.

I know these can look much better with some customizing (padding the legs to prevent the armour from floating around, fixing the chest armour, painting here and there, futzing this and that), but straight out of the box I think Medicom has a much higher quality product.
When I got my Medi-troopers a couple of years ago (two as well), they looked fantastic straight out of the box. There was nothing to adjust, paint or futz.
Notice that I'm not alluding to any issues of size or accuracy, I'm just saying that straight out of the box, there's a vast difference in quality.

Oh well, on to futz and repaint to bring these two up to decent standards.

I'm sure HT would do a nice job. However, it seems those that believe HT would do better believe that SS isn't doing a great job. Honestly, the armored figures have been fantastic and outside of like the lips on Anakin the humans have been fine. I just don't see where HT could really just improve that much to justify figures that are $150. The human figures I've gotten from HT honestly have been far too dark in skin tone as was the case with my POTC figures. Even my Bruce Wayne head is a tad dark and actually matches the asian body skin tone that I put it on.

So yeah I think if you feel HT would put out a product that is worth $150 you believe that SS really isn't doing that great of a job. Just my two cents.

So yeah I think if you feel HT would put out a product that is worth $150 you believe that SS really isn't doing that great of a job. Just my two cents.

I don't understand the leap of logic behind that conclusion at all.. But then again I don't have to. :lol ;)

I don't think price is persay a factor in this particular discussion. I don't think people who feel an HT Stormtrooper would be better feel that it'd be twice the price better, they just think it would be better, and I agree that's probably true. I don't necessarily think that any HT figure demonstrate's better things to the point where it makes sense they cost twice a Sideshow piece, but that's not how I think in my collecting. I see a piece, I look at what it costs, what it is, and decide if I want it for what it costs.

With Star Wars, I prefere quantity over quality, so I'd rather at $70-$90 figure line that's really nice for what it is where I can get a wide variety of characters, I would dread HT being the sole maker of Star Wars 1/6 in a realistic style because then I'd have to be much more selective and have a less full collection.

HT's great for what it does, high end figures where it's 2-3 figures a property and onto the next one. As much as I don't like the incompleteness of many of their lines, monetarily speaking it's nice.

I have no doubt a HT Stormtrooper would blow every version of the character that has ever been done. 2" 3 3/4" 5" 6" 9" 12" 1/4 scale and 1:1.

for one thing, Ht's ST probably would not require the mods people have done on their SS trooper.

It's funny you say that because for what they're charging for Iron Man, you think someone in HotToys QC department would've looked at the prototype before approving it and said, "There's no way those legs have a human's legs inside them. They're unnaturally skinny and need to be thicker and more realistic."

I don't understand the leap of logic behind that conclusion at all.. But then again I don't have to. :lol ;)

I'm not asking you too. :)

I see a piece, I look at what it costs, what it is, and decide if I want it for what it costs.

That's exactly why with most HT figures I don't think their the shat everyone else seems to think. Based on the figures I've had or seen anyways. With figures like Iron Man based on the pics I've seen here and what I saw @ SDCC I think its worth it and then some.

Josh, i like my SS stuff, but know their limits.

Show me a Sideshow figure that is equal to this:

3365249294_c7b0185d13_o.jpg

There isn't one.

Back