Sideshow 12" Stormtrooper PICTURE THREAD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just looking at my trooper and after thinking about the way the armor and body are done that a 3PO figure doesn't seem quite as far off or out of the question. I mean the 3PO suit wasn't made to much difrent for the film then the trooper armor and any limitation it would cause to articulation would be acurate to the film. I even think Sideshow could make his head lightup on the armor body by using an LED setup like some of the japanese Gundam kits. Anyone else see this happening soon or am I just having wishful thoughts?

Thats your experience..i have had this figure for a few years now..no problems with it being fragile at all..the body is fine..these figures came out with better paint apps then the SSC ones..the bodies were not one bit loose..see you are bashing this figure so bad yet, you ar not reading the trouble people are having with the SSC one?..weird weird weird...and the medicom has shine right out of the box..the armor being a bit soft..never detracted from the look of it being displayed at all..i am sure a small cod piece and a fat mans chest plate with a F/X looking bucket from SSC is just that much better right?, they have their pluses and minuses, one is import and the other is not..price varies because of this but, not this time...i am paying the same price for both figures in this case and i think..and truly believe the Medicom edges it out.

Possibly. I paid 50$ shipped for my Medicom stormie, and a little more than that for my Medi vader. I like them well enough, but overall i prefer the sideshow trooper to the medi one. it feels more like a guy in a suit than the medi version. I'm also not woried about reaking the Sideshow trooper every time i pick him up.
don't get me wrong the engineering on the medi body is fantastic, but i wish medcom would use a higher quality plastic for the prices they charge.

I was just looking at my trooper and after thinking about the way the armor and body are done that a 3PO figure doesn't seem quite as far off or out of the question. I mean the 3PO suit wasn't made to much difrent for the film then the trooper armor and any limitation it would cause to articulation would be acurate to the film. I even think Sideshow could make his head lightup on the armor body by using an LED setup like some of the japanese Gundam kits. Anyone else see this happening soon or am I just having wishful thoughts?

it's a definite possibility. i'm not sure i'd want lights though. generaly speaking, I want NO electronics in my 1/6th high end stuff. I feel it unessacarly drives the price up, and potentialy limits the articulation when it is not needed.

I think most people feel the scale IS an issue, and the high price of the medis is a bigger one.

Not me and many more. I display my Medicoms separately than Sideshow figures.

Medicom Vader looks real nice. But its size, use of soft plastic made it toy like. It wasn't just too short - it lacked bulk. Medicom weapons were average at best - something SS does excel at.

I agree that Sideshow's weapons are awesome. But I have both Medicom Darth Vader versions and they are great! Hasbro Vader looks and feels like a toy, Medicom Vader (any version) doesn't.

Not me and many more. I display my Medicoms separately than Sideshow figures.

I agree that Sideshow's weapons are awesome. But I have both Medicom Darth Vader versions and they are great! Hasbro Vader looks and feels like a toy, Medicom Vader (any version) doesn't.

I display my sideshow star wars, with my medicom starwars, and could care less bout scale. hasbros 3 3/4th figures were all over the place with scale issues, and i dislayed them together. as long as short characacters are short, and tall ones are tall, i'm happy. People cme in different sizes, so having my medi trooper in the squad with my sideshow ones is fine. I'll even toss in a marmit one if i can find one.

Vader's kinda skinny, but meh, it still looks good. I will agree, however, that medicom's weapons look like hasbro made them, and this dissapoints me to no end.

it's a definite possibility. i'm not sure i'd want lights though. generaly speaking, I want NO electronics in my 1/6th high end stuff. I feel it unessacarly drives the price up, and potentialy limits the articulation when it is not needed.

Well the particular ones I'm thinking of are not costly at all it's basicly an led and a contact plate hooked to a hall effect switch and using a button cell battery for power. There are no wires involved and the gundam kits used a ball connector like the armor body so shouldn't detract from the articulation and cost added should be minimal since the parts are fairly common and cheap.

idealy, you're right, however Sideshow likes to do things cheaply, which means using larger parts, and putting electronic components in the torso. again, personal preference , but it might be better if it DID NOT have lights, and people simply added them themselves.

I will agree, however, that medicom's weapons look like hasbro made them, and this dissapoints me to no end.

You can always get some Sideshow weapons. I have Sideshow E-11 blasters for my Medicom Stormies got them lin 2008 from Toy Anxiety, by that time they were cheaper when selling toy parts.

As for displaying Medicom and SS separately I do this due to lack of space for now - they don't fit on the same shelf. But I do have RAH ROTS Vader, SS Praji and RAH Sandtrooper on the same shelf and they look cool together.

I don't care much about the height of a figure, I love my RAH's, and last year when some friends came they seen ROTJ Vader and Stormie and BHS together and said they are looking cool. Of the 5 friends coming, 2 were big SW fans and 3 were not - none really cared Vader is not so much taller than the Stormies. Neither do I.

Well I can see where you concerns come from and even if Sideshow doesn't include it by default I will probly add it myself as I said the parts are fairly cheap and easy to come by at RadioShack. I would still like to see Sideshow give it a try though but Only if they keep all the parts in the head. Wires are a big no no to me specially when in this case it can be done without them on the cheap.

You can always get some Sideshow weapons. I have Sideshow E-11 blasters for my Medicom Stormies got them lin 2008 from Toy Anxiety, by that time they were cheaper when selling toy parts.

As for displaying Medicom and SS separately I do this due to lack of space for now - they don't fit on the same shelf. But I do have RAH ROTS Vader, SS Praji and RAH Sandtrooper on the same shelf and they look cool together.

I don't care much about the height of a figure, I love my RAH's, and last year when some friends came they seen ROTJ Vader and Stormie and BHS together and said they are looking cool. Of the 5 friends coming, 2 were big SW fans and 3 were not - none really cared Vader is not so much taller than the Stormies. Neither do I.

Exactly. i feel the same way. Most peopel are not going to know a sideshow from a marmitt, from a medicom from a hole in the ground. We do, becuase we eat, sleep and poop the stuff.
And i do the same thing. i've replaced my medicom lukes saber witha saideshow one. I've replaced my medicom stormy blaster with a sideshow one as well. and will continue to do so. I'm only irratated by the fact that i HAVE to do this, when at the price they ask, they could be made so much more superior.
But, c'est la vie :)

Hate to piss in the punch but while I agree that the figure itself is a good likeness, and their Godfather is truly a benchmark in 1:6, that particular image you're using in your post is not particularly flattering to Schwarzenegger's likeness:

SchwarzeneggerArnold_08.jpg

Way to go. You say the pic of the HT figure isn't "particularly flattering to Schwarzenegger's likeness" and you follow that up by posting a pic that isn't "particularly flattering to Schwarzenegger's likeness" in PREDATOR. You know, the movie the figure is BASED ON. :duh

Try this:

pbluray362.jpg

3365249294_c7b0185d13_o.jpg

Post ANY figure of ANY real actor/actress and I guarantee you I can find some other pic of that same person (from a different time period) that will be unflattering to the head sculpt.

And as a sidenote: None of you get money or own stock in these companies so why do you care who's #1 or the best!? Just enjoy the products, regardless of who makes them.

:monkey3

excellent comparison pic Devil, I dont why magazine would compare the 2 pics of Arnie as being comparable ;p

The Blaster is hardly "hasbro-like" for the medi-stormie..you sure you own one now?, and same for Medi-Luke..his saber is just about the same looking as my Jedi-SS-Luke..except you can attach the blade to Medicom Luke...but, generally there is no large difference in detail between the two sabers..the stormtrooper rifles from Medicom and SSC..while Medicom is black with some silver accents, the SSC blaster has more of a weathered look and a folding stock which makes it better but, you can't say the medicom is like a hasbro blaster..medicoms is to scale with the figure and looks fine..the Hasbro ones were huge..jeez man.

And as a sidenote: None of you get money or own stock in these companies so why do you care who's #1 or the best!? Just enjoy the products, regardless of who makes them.

:monkey3

Well I can offer 2 reasons. 1) Its a discussion board. 2) Some people enjoy debating this issue. Its like talking about your favorite sports team or music group. How is this any different?

Well I can offer 2 reasons. 1) Its a discussion board. 2) Some people enjoy debating this issue. Its like talking about your favorite sports team or music group. How is this any different?

Well put. Unfortunately most times such discussion becomes defensive and uncivilized, but it is possible. The topic of conversation isn't the issue, it's the civility of the discussion.

Well put. Unfortunately most times such discussion becomes defensive and uncivilized, but it is possible. The topic of conversation isn't the issue, it's the civility of the discussion.

Yup. :lecture If people are feeling defensive, that when they need to step back and realize this is a hobby for toy collectors. Not a life and death struggle for the freedom of the human race. :lol

I will tell anyone who is planning on creating a reveal helmet, the michael scofield sculpt is a perfect fit underneath the helmet and he looks hell-a-cooler as a trooper than Tom Cruise. :lol

Yea, but your sports team sucks and your favorite music group can't play for squat.

Oh and your toys suck.

Back