Sideshow 12" Stormtrooper PICTURE THREAD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you know that going with molded armor was "the cheap way out"?

Just curious.

I'm not advocating that SST "cheaped out" by not painting the armour (which I don't even know as I don't have the damn thing in hand! :lol), but it's safe to assume that it is cheaper to not paint something rather than paint it.
Of course, maybe SST developed some great white plastic that does not yellow with time and it is more expensive than using other types of white plastic which require painting in order to not yellow...
Whatever, I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing! :lol

Come on guys, let's see more pics!
I want my stormies here now!

The efx 1:1 helmet is also not completely black on the grille so it's probably accurate, I am by no means a Stromtrooper expert though so not sure if both are wrong. :monkey3

The grille is completely black on the eFX as well as on the MR CE Stormtrooper helmet:

efxhelmetstormtrooper00qj8.jpg

efxhelmetstormtrooper06or2.jpg

mrcehelmetstormtrooper1sw6.jpg

Futzed a bit...

Better? :)

Stormtrooper5.jpg

AWESOME!!:rock:rock Can't wait to get my 2 stormies now :banana

my only concern is yellowing over time.
think it is a problem if he is out of direct light? who has experience with that type of stuff?

Let's hope this won't happen, but we can't be sure now, only time will tell...

Actually I think it is different, I found these on an earlier post.
sstkcomparisons.jpg

It seems the prototype helmet was wider especially at top. I like the microphones better on the proto, but the grill looks better on the production figure.

With HUGE aerators.

Those are microphones :lol Even Gentle Giant made them too long on their Stormie busts, looked like torpedo launchers. :D

Whats under the helmet?

The correct aerators.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Was the actual screen armor painted or molded?

The helmets were painted.

How do you know that going with molded armor was "the cheap way out"?

Just curious.

Cause they didn't give the production run's armour it's shine. You don't go through all that trouble to make the Prototype all nice and shiny and then when it comes time to deliver you hold back for whatever reason. That right there just smells of cheap! Like "^^^^, we don't really know how to make the armour shiny without breaking the bank :confused:

I still like this Storm Trooper and I will buy it cause it's so dirt cheap for an armoured Stormie but I just would wish SS would stop holding back and stop playing these mind games with prototype's.:huh

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone has idea, whether can put Luke's head into this stormtrooper? It should looks great!

It seems the prototype helmet was wider especially at top. I like the microphones better on the proto, but the grill looks better on the production figure.

Those are microphones :lol Even Gentle Giant made them too long on their Stormie busts, looked like torpedo launchers. :D

Yeah I corrected myself in later posts. I just heard someone here call them that:lol

Anyone has idea, whether can put Luke's head into this stormtrooper? It should looks great!

I've never taken it apart but isn't the neck on the Pro solid? Its not double jointed like the TrueTypes right?

Cause they didn't give the production run's armour it's shine. You don't go through all that trouble to make the Prototype all nice and shiny and then when it comes time to deliver you hold back for whatever reason. That right there just smells of cheap! Like "^^^^, we don't really know how to make the armour shiny without breaking the bank so fvck it!?" :confused:

I still like this Storm Trooper and I will buy it cause it's so dirt cheap for an armoured Stormie but I just would wish SS would stop holding back and stop playing these mind games with prototype's.:huh

Oh and Josh,your ridiculous! :gun

Did you ever see the proto? I did at SDCC it was actually a production sample now that I think of it. It looked exactly shine wise to whats being shown so far. There's no change there.

No, I'm not the one tossing out statements that show an utter lack of ability to know what the hell is exactly true and just made up BS.

From these pictures I'm a little disappointed with the helmet. I wish it had looked more like the proto. I can change that though. I have 2 of the gentle giant busts that I can utilise the helmets from. ( the GG helmets were scanned from a screen used original I believe , they also have the green lenses , I also have one of the sandtrooper busts so I can do the same if I'm not happy with my sandtrooper ) Quite happy with the rest of the figure though. Of course I may be happier when I see the figure in person .

Cause they didn't give the production run's armour it's shine. You don't go through all that trouble to make the Prototype all nice and shiny and then when it comes time to deliver you hold back for whatever reason. That right there just smells of cheap! Like "^^^^, we don't really know how to make the armour shiny without breaking the bank so fvck it!?" :confused:

Oh and Josh,your ridiculous! :gun

Ok. Your response was more a rave than an actual answer. :lol

1) You never told me how molding plastic is cheaper than painting. If this were true why aren't the majority of Sideshow head sculpts molded in skin color rather than the skin color painted on?

2) I still haven't seen any pics of the proto-type (certainly not on the product page) where it looks any shinier than the in hand shots we have seen.

3) Your rant pretty much states that Sideshow should have "broken the bank" rather than loose any degree of glossiness on the troopers. Do you really think Sideshow should have spared no expense - even at a loss - for the gloss; even in these troubles economic times? :lol

Hmmm....I have an extra Tatooine Solo hanging around.....I'll have to see about picking up another Stormie. I have a ton of those neck adapters lying around.

Gloss can't cost Sideshow too much if they gloss bucks that don't even need glossing.

6s59fp.jpg

2124_press09-001.jpg
2124_press11-001.jpg

stormtrooper11.jpg

Okay after comparing the production run with the Prototype pics above it appears that the production run does have a little shine to it but not nearly as much as the Prototype pics.

I tell you what I will bite my tongue until I receive mine.

Back