Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well hopefully the fact they're charging us $200 for Han means they'll take a bit more time making the head look good. And looking at the new Rex figure I think there's a pretty good chance they will.

Well hopefully the fact they're charging us $200 for Han means they'll take a bit more time making the head look good. And looking at the new Rex figure I think there's a pretty good chance they will.

Is this the rex you're talking about?

Review_SCCaptainRexPhaseII045.jpg

Because IMO, both sculpts look like they're painted by a first-time painter. I wouldn't be happy with this quality on a $200 Solo. I'm assuming the one on the left is the new one. It's not even remotely close to realistic, and a far cry from what Sideshow are displaying on their site in official photography. The production head looks like two cheap pieces of plastic glued together with a visible seam along the hair line.

Gotcha. I kind of expected them to have already done that, but all these dates and what we thought would be the release order are totally out the window. ;) In other words, anything can happen.

Because IMO, both sculpts look like they're painted by a first-time painter. I wouldn't be happy with this quality on a $200 Solo. I'm assuming the one on the left is the new one. It's not even remotely close to realistic, and a far cry from what Sideshow are displaying on their site in official photography. The production head looks like two cheap pieces of plastic glued together with a visible seam along the hair line.

I don't know, to be honest the official pics for Han didn't exactly look like HT quality either. And this new Rex actually looks pretty close to that I think.

In any case, I'd be perfectly happy if that's what Han came out looking like. It's still a HUGE step up from the Sideshow figures of the past, which truly did look like they were done by a first-time painter. Lol

Gotcha. I kind of expected them to have already done that, but all these dates and what we thought would be the release order are totally out the window. ;) In other words, anything can happen.

Even though i'm convinced pics of production pièces won't give us a definite answer on Han's actual likeness level or even overall paint app quality, i'm really impatient to see how it turned out. Crossing fingers for a reveal sometime next week.

Is this the rex you're talking about?

Review_SCCaptainRexPhaseII045.jpg

I think you should just cancel at this point because I don't think anything is going to meet your expectations. Granted that picture doesn't do the heads any favors with that super bright background, but still, the one on the left is vastly superior and a huge upgrade to the one on the right. There are some better pics, but I'm too lazy to search for them.

No doubts the Rex on the left is vastly superior in paint to the one on the right, maybe in scale too, I don't have a reference for size. But that doesn't mean the paint on it is any good. It just means it's less bad. And that's still pretty bad.

I think you should just cancel at this point

Cancel what? I don't usually pre-order, this is no exception. I've seen the other pictures of Rex and none of them look anywhere near as good as the prototype. It's night and day. The construction of the head is completely different (and evident), and the paint is completely different. The saving grace for one of the Solo sculpts is that it has an integrated hat to disguise any seam. But if it has terrible paint like Rex, it's going to need a repaint. I may be willing to put up with some Hot Toys likeness misses, but I won't put up with mass-market toy paint on a high end 1/6 figure.

I still don't think it's gonna live up to your expectations though :lol

I'm expecting it to look nearly identical to the prototype. If Sideshow can't to that, they really need to stop showing and photographing their prototypes the way they do now. It's not rocket science to create something more similar to a production piece before putting up the final press shots.

Calling the paint app on Rex "terrible" is beyond hyperbole. Yes the seam is a problem, but much less noticeable in hand and won't be a problem on figures with actual hair. The paint app itself is better than some of the Hot Toys I have (and those are recent ones). No need for us to make extremist comments.

Calling the paint app on Rex "terrible" is beyond hyperbole.

I don't have one in hand, but in the photos, considering what exists in this hobby, it's junk. Super sub-par. Compared to the older version on the right, yeah it's better. Compared to what my 5yo daughter would paint, it's stellar. Maybe 20 years ago I'd have given it a pass, but not today, not in today's market. If it's very different in hand, I have only to wonder why the photos look the way they do.

I don't have one in hand, but in the photos, considering what exists in this hobby, it's junk. Super sub-par. If it's very different in hand, I have only to wonder why the photos look the way they do.

I know you like to get a rise out of people and often it's amusing, so I'm just going to put this in the PP having some fun bag and not take it seriously.

It's not meant to get a rise out of anyone. This isn't the Rex thread - I don't post in that thread because I'm not interested in that figure. But I don't have any figures in my collection that have this poor a paint job. The prototype doesn't have this poor paint job.

Anyway, we're getting off topic. Just fingers crossed that Han's paint isn't an epic fail and that they maintain the level of fidelity in the casting that Grove put into the original sculpt.

Last edited:
It's not off topic just in that Rex is the most recent human head sculpt. So that may well be what we can expect in terms of paint job and eye placement.
But is there any consensus on good paint jobs on sideshow human sculpts? I like the Anakin reveal and Malgus (haven't seen Malgus in person) but those are not standard human skin tones and are both of the old head system.

If the paint app on Han is this detailed and good I will be very happy.

c76c0264a3b77bf2e68bb3c1fd8ec7a2_zps53bbda1a.jpg

It's a slightly cartoonish sculpt expression-wise, but that sculpt and paint app looks really nice. Eyes look really good.

Back